Conley Brothers

She smiled softly at the exchange. She had long forgotten what it was like to have her own family but..this..this felt good and right and shen loved every moment of it

"Would you like for me to make you a small basket as a bed and hang it inside the wagon?" Vlad asked Spectra, returning the conversation to her.

She smiled "sounds perfectly delightful" she nodded a little.

"Say Vlad...I think you have a little friend watching you" she added calmly, glancing across to some of thr other wagons

Vlad looked up and followed Spectra's line of sight. "I suppose I had best go say hello, then." He rose and dusted off his blue pants before turning and walking toward the shadows near the wagon. He had a suspicion as to who it was even though he could not yet see them.

If he suspected Viviana, he was right.
She could have slipped away when she saw him coming but she chose to stand and wait for him to join her in the shadows "I should be turning you in"

"Oh? For what?" Vlad asked with a mild smile, outwardly calm despite the sudden thumping of his heart. "Making dinner so close to when I should get on the show? Which, by the way, there is plenty of if you would like a bit."

"You know exactly why" she said, studying his face. "What I want to know is why I shouldn't...why did you do it?" She asked him

Vlad studied her a long moment. Finally, he replied in a patient, almost gentle tone, "I did it to save a life. Beyond that, I cannot tell you anything. I recognize that you do not seem particularly thrilled with your job as security, and it makes me hopeful that you did not instantly turn us in, but I have no more reason to trust you than you have to trust me. If I told you more details and you turned me in, anyway, then you would have more proof, more reason, and more people to hurt. So I respond to your question with one of my own: why should I trust you enough to tell you secrets that are not mine?"

He looked at her, sadness glinting in his eyes along with resignation. He would accept his fate, whatever it was. If she decided to turn them in... Well, he had hope that not everyone would be caught or directly implicated. At least Star was free, and Adanya was not expendable. Kazimir also had no real connection to the crime. Only himself and the twins. He would do his best to keep them out of trouble.

Viviana frowned "enjoy your early supper..I am less inclined to turn a blind eye next time" she said before walking past him

"It is my deepest hope that there will not be a next time, but thank you for saving a life," Vlad said quietly. He turned and walked back toward the fire, his nerves still singing.

V didn't acknowledge him as she walked off. Annoyed. She risked a lot just by keeping this to herself and he hadn't really told her a thing. Wasn't that showing some level of trust? Truth was she had no idea how to be around people.

Vlad glanced back once to watch her go. Maybe he should have told her, but he'd said the truth when he said the secrets were not his. He would have to wait and see how things fell. There was no other option right now.

It was about that time Camilla was making her way to find Vlad and talk to him, she was trying to look just as happy as ever as not to raise any suspicions but Vlad knew her well enough by now to see kt

Vlad was just finishing up his supper when he spotted Camilla. He smiled at her and indicated for her to take a seat. Kazimir was busy pestering Spectra with question like if things tasted different now, if she could travel through time, and if she'd ever lived in a cuckoo clock. "Camilla! I am surprised to see you," he said lightly.

~~

Claudius cautiously stepped out of his cage and looked around. Slowly, hesitantly, he made his way farther from the cage. Then a little farther. Testing his limits.

She smiled a little but didn't sit right off "I was..hopeing we could talk. If you have a moment to spare"

"Of course." Vlad set his bowl aside and stood. "Kazimir, please clean up." Accepting the vague wave he got as a response, Vlad turned and walked to the wagon. "It will be private in here."

Camilla glanced to make sure nobody was watching before she stepped inside. Her brothers would not like it to see her go inside alone with any man

Vlad closed the door behind her and sat on the edge of his lofty bed, leaving the bench to her. "What is troubling you, Camilla?" he asked softly, his brow knit with concern.

Camilla sat on the bench "I read my journal...like you said...I didn't much like what I found and...still trying to wrap my mind around it.."

Back