Conley Brothers

Spectra smiled patiently "well it is certainly a good thing I am not your mother then" she did give him a friendly little pat on the head though to emphasize she would not strike him, her touch gentle. "No harm done"

Kazimir smiled brightly, but his smile faded faster than normal, and he looked down uncomfortably. His long fingers played with a string, winding it around into different patterns and shapes.

"Alright, what is on your mind?" Vlad asked. "You never play with cat's cradle unless you are fretting about something."

"Well, yes, I do have something I wanted to talk to you about, something serious," Kazimir admitted. "I did come looking for you for a reason, though finding you was almost an accident."

"So you decided to pin Spectra between us during an uncomfortable conversation?" Vlad pointed out.

Kazimir glanced at Spectra. "She seems like good friend, so I hope she will help you listen. I know you do not like to listen to me."

"Mostly because you never listen to me," Vlad said a touch sharply.

Spectra glanced between the brothers "Vlad" she said softly and placed a hand on his knee "seems he had a point keeping me here" she said "No need to snap. I know you're tense just now but lets hear him hm?"

Vlad wilted under her touch. "Alright," he sighed again. "Very well. What is it, Kazimir? What did you want to tell me?"

Kazimir looked down, watching his hands as he guided the string through ever more complicated patterns. "I wanted to tell you... they are all gone," he said softly.

Vlad's annoyance turned to confusion. "Who?"

"The family," Kazimir continued dully. "All of them. They went back as I said to try to help others, but... they... the thing... they are dead."

Vlad sat staring at him. Unconsciously, he pulled a bit on the reins, and the unicorns slowed their forward momentum almost to a stop, irritating the wagon behind them.

Spectra was silent a moment before she touched Vlads hand "sit with you brother. I'll drive" she said gently. She knew Felix would not be happy they were slowing the whole train. That was not what they needed now

Vlad handed the reins over to Spectra and sat in silence for a moment. "How?" Vlad finally asked.

"Mullo," Kazimir mumbled without looking up.

Vlad's head wipped around so fast it was a wonder he didn't snap his neck. "WHAT?"

Kazimir flinched away, huddling down like a scolded puppy.

"I knew this would happen," Vlad snapped. "Didn't I warn you? I told you to stay-" He stopped himself, glaring, then turned and hopped down from the wagon. "I need to walk a bit."

Spectra sighed "it's alright Kaz. Just give him a little time" she said softly "I'm proud of you for telling him...that had to be very hard"

Kazimir crumpled the string and stuffed it into his pocket. "I am sorry to make you sit like that," he said quietly. "I thought... you give me courage, and he listen, not argue." He shrugged. "I do not blame him he does not like me, but... I love him. I miss him."

"It's ok Kaz. Sometimes you need a buffer." She said gently "and he does not dislike you Kaz...I think his patience just runs thin sometimes" she said "but you're still family, he still cares. If he did not care he would have turned you out" she told him "just give him time"

Kazimir glanced at her with a weak smile. "I am glad he has made a friend in you, Spectra," he said quietly. "He needs friends."

Spectra smiled gently "you have a friend in me too Kazmir" she said "and I have a feeling you need them too" she reasoned

Kazimir smiled. "Thank you, Lady Spectra. Yes, we all need friends, Vladimir and I both. I am alright with my solitude. It is of my own doing, but Vladimir... yes, he made mistakes, too, but he punishes himself for other's mistakes, as well. Our family. He believes if he make us stop sooner, then we would not have lost so much, but he was a child. A child does not tell adults what to do, especially a son, do they?"

"People with big hearts like Vlad find it easier to blame themselves than see the fault in others, especially as a child" she said and frowned faintly, understanding Vlad a little more now

Kazimir nodded. "Even so." He fell quiet for a while, the silence broken only by the creaking of the wagon and the sound of hooves on hard dirt.

A hand on the side of the wagon made him jump, and he hastily scooted toward Spectra as Vlad climbed up on his side, sitting down next to him. Kazimir eyed him warily, but Vlad didn't look at him.

Spectra was happy enough to sit there with him until Clad climbed back up "do you two need a moment alone?" She asked after sitting silent with them both a couple awkward minutes

"I... I can leave," Kazimir said awkwardly even though Vlad had boxed him in.

Vlad looked up. "Kazimir, how long ago was it?"

"Oh..." Kazimir squinted awkwardly at the unicorns. "I think... a year ago? It has been much passage of time."

Vlad's voice was quiet, almost gentle. "Have you been alone all this time?"

Kazimir just shrugged then nodded guiltily. "Yes."

Vlad didn't say anything more. He put his arm gently around Kaz and pulled him close. Kazimir let out a tiny whimper and nestled into Vlad like a child.

Spectra quietly steered the unicorns on and let the brothers have their time together. She would go but the unicorns were bound to go off trail.

Eventually Felix gave the signal and they once more circled around, just before sunset

Vlad had eventually taken the reins back, and the twins walked alongside chattering with Spectra and Kazimir. As the caravan pulled off and circled up, they eagerly dashed ahead to give the unicorns a good petting and praising.

"Thank you for helping today, Spectra," Vlad said with his usual smile. "Would you like to join us for dinner? Or do you have other plans?"

"We want Star to help us introduce Kaz to Claudius!" one of the twins called.

"I have no plans" Spectra said "it would be a pleasure to join you if you'd like" she did feel a bit like she was intruding at this point but she was happy to have been some help to them

Star finally gave up trying to get any sleep and climbed out when he felt the wagon stop, rubbing his eyes

"Yes! Please stay and eat with us!" Kazimir enccouraged. "I will cook tonight, yes? Yes!" He strode toward the back of the wagon before Vlad could approve or protest.

Vlad just shook his head and went to unhitch the unicorns and find them a place to rest.

Back