Conley Brothers

So he was just going to ignore it like Leon? She was about to speak but curled in on herself as she coughed violently into her hands

Vlad laid a hand on her shoulder and waited for the coughing to pass. "I have always known you wore a glamour, Camilla, though I never knew what it hid," he said gently. "I am no more disgusted by you then I am by Starnacht or Chib's shape shifting or anyone else. I see no reason why I should be." He rose. "I need to go look after the little ones. Kazimir will stay with you, alright?"

Camilla looked up at him but didn't try to lift her head, she felt to week but she did manage to catch his hand before he could leave "please...stay with me.." didn't seem like her to ask him to stay when the kids were involved. She had to be quite scared of what she was feeling at the moment

Vlad hesitated then turned to look at Kazimir. "Kazimir..."

Kaz was already smiling and nodding. "I can look after them! Do not worry. You stay here with pretty lady, I look after playful children."

"Don't forget to feed them. Oh, and Claudius," Vlad warned.

Kazimir nodded and gave Camilla a cheerful wave before stepping out.

Camilla didn't let go of hid hand, her own felt cool, not a good sign. "Vlad.." she said again "What's...going on?"

Vlad pulled a chair closer and sat down so he could hold her hand and face her. "I am not certain," he said softly. "I believe that perhaps your brother is playing with Darkness, Darkness that hurt Adanya and Chibi, and when you tried to help, it infected you."

She shook her head faintly "not that..." she said, closing her eyes a movement "with Felix.." she tried to clarify

Vlad sighed and stroked her knuckles with his thumb. "I do not know how to answer that. I know he has been playing with things he ought not to, but I do not know how deep that goes."

She hesitated, opening her eyes again "tell me...what ypu can?" She asked "I'm tired...everyone always shielding me..."

"I am not certain now is the right time with how weak and sick you are, but alright," Vlad agreed. "If you start to get upset, though, I will need to stop." He hesitated a minute longer as he gathered his thoughts. "I do not know everything that Felix does, and I have tried not to learn. While Leon knows a bit more, I doubt even he knows everything. I know that Felix uses his abilities to charm and adjust memories as well as his contracts to trap people here in the circus, and I believe... I believe he uses these people to somehow feed his abilities or perhaps make payments to the things that give him these abilities and more."

Camilla quietly listened to what he said, her eyes were half closed but she could hear and understand him "I think...he has charmed me...I couldn't see before...." she held his hand a little tighter, not sure yet what all the would mean for her "don't let me forget..."

Vlad held her hand, thinking. The charm simply did not work on him - likely due to his past in dabbling with similar affairs as Felix was - but he was not certain how to make it so another would not be charmed. Then again, Kazimir's innate talent was not so different from a Charm. Perhaps he would know? Vlad could not believe he was thinking of asking his brother for help in this matter, but he was desperate.

"I will do what I can," he promised her. "Some things you can do... write yourself a few notes and hide them where only you could find them, more than one just in case it is found, and include key-words to remind you. Also... try not to look him in the eye. It helps."

She nodded faintly, tears in her eyes. She felt betrayed. She had admired her brother so much but whatever darkness had touched her seemed to have undone the charm "I'm..scared" there was no other word reallyb

Vlad squeezed her hand. "I'm here," he said softly. Then he sighed. "I do not think your brothers are good people, and they have made some bad choices, but I do know one thing they have done right. They love you and they want to protect you no matter what. I may not agree with how they go about it, but at least there is that."

She nodded again, keeping a hold of his hand.she didn't know what to say or think about all this new information. "Don't go..until I cam write to myself?" She didn't have the energy to do it now

Vlad nodded. He was about to say something when he noticed voices approaching the wagon. Then a knock sounded on the door. He squeezed her hand then stood and went to answer the door.

The twins and Kazimir stood waiting. The twins chorused, "Can we see Camilla?"

Camilla's grip tightened and she gave a little shake of her head, not ready for orders to see her this way

Vlad glanced back at her then nodded. "No, little ones, not yet," he said gently. "Soon, but right now she is very tired. Please go stay with Spectra, alright?"

The twins pouted but did not press as they turned and scampered off.

She relaxed a little but still kept a hold of his hand, she did not want to be left alone but couldn't handle kids just now.
"Vlad..get me a bucket?"

Vlad nodded and left her side to hunt for a bucket. It took him a little bit of searching to find one, then he brought it over to her. "Here you are."

~

The twins grumbled and fretted all the way to Spectra's wagon. Kazimir let them do as they willed as they walked along.

Back