Dark Stuides

It was as if a weight had left her shoulders. It had felt good to tell someone about her experience and the cause for her constant exhaustion. She made herself a quick meal, she was great at making quick meals but she didn't want anything heavy on her stomach just yet and settled for a bowl of soup. She heated it up in the microwave and then sat at the small table to eat it. She got back up though and grabbed some crackers to eat with it. Once she had settled into eating she relaxed again and looked over to him on her couch. He seemed at home there. She smiles a bit.

Her cat was quick to respond to his return to the couch. She leaped up from the floor and made her way over to his lap. Once more pushing into his hand and purring her sweet sound.

Mary smiles softly. "I've never seen her act like that with anyone else." she gets a few more spoonfuls in and after swallowing, she returns her gaze to him. "I know there is so much for you to learn but what would you like to learn first?" She asks curiously.

He sniffed like an animal at the scent of a new kind of food. Though he kept his seat which was forced as the cat moved back into his lap. He grinned as it bumped into his hand demanding he pet her, "Back for more are we?" He chuckled as he rubbed her ears. The woman's statement made him tilt his head slightly, "Beasts big and small know when they meet some one who understands their hearts," He explained, "Many humans have stopped listening to the voices of the beasts around them," He shrugged, "What is she called?"

After he got that answer he would ask about the things he had seen outside and in her house. Cars, how they worked, when did they come to be... Clocks, computers, and many more things. It all seemed to amuse him and thrill him. He was like a child as he picked over her mind.

"Her name is Smokey." she smiles softly and watches the two interact. "No one really listens to anything anymore....not the creatures, not nature...not even each other half the time." She shrugs a little. "I don't think anyone knows how to anymore..."

She starts to eat some more as he started to ask his questions. She did her best to answer them, telling him about the houses and how they had changed over the years. Then telling him about the cars and the change from horse drawn carragies to the motor vehicle. She finishes her food and gets up from the table, putting her dishes in the sink. As she walked around, she pointed things out to him, telling him what they were called and the purpose of the items.

She watched his expressions and made sure she wasn't going to fast as she explained things. Then once she had covered a lot of what could be seen in the apartment, she went to her computer and sat down on the couch beside him. Her cat moved to lay across one of his legs and one of hers. Mary starts to show Hexel about the computer and showing him more information.

Hexel was sort of dazed as he soaked in every thing she told him. He was enjoying learning what was around him and what would become his life from this day on. He blinked as she showed him the computer. The keys were strange and very much a giberish to him. None of the symbols made sense to him but he was sure that it he would learn eventually, "What do you enjoy?" He asked after a moment.

At his question about what she enjoyed, she sat back a little and actually had to think about it. She shakes her head slightly. "I don't know really...I mean I study a lot. I do enjoy my studies but I guess that's really it." She looks to him and smiles a little. "I don't exactly get out a lot. I usually go to class, go to the library and then come back home." She shrugs and realized her life sounded rather boring but then again, she wanted boring. It was good to her.

"I used to go for walks in the park nearby and hike the wood trails but I guess I didn't realize I had locked myself up a bit." She shrugs a little.

He nodded slightly as he listened, "Then we shall go walk at some point when you are well rested," Hexel smiled down at her while he petted the cat gently. He couldn't help but enjoy the soft rumble of Smokey's purr, "Family?" he asked trying to learn more about her. He wanted more of her.

She hesitates to answer the question about family. Shaking her head at the moment. "My mom lives far away with my father." She looks to Smokey. "She is my family. After everything that happened...I returned home for a little while, thinking that was what I had to do...but it wasn't. You think my sleeping is bad here....it's much worse when I was home. Can't explain why...it just was and my mom and dad had a hard time handling it all. They meant well but throwing meds at things isn't always the answer so now I live on my own and we barely talk..."

Hexel's expression saddened slightly, "I understand. Family is hard to handle. Parents are the worst to get to understand what will help you as they believe their years are more learned then yours," he petted her head for a moment then leaned back slightly as he found himself trying to remember what his friends and family were like. His family was hard as demons didn't take care of their children for more than a few years. Friends were hard to come by in that day and age as well. Many just wanted his strength so they could win some battle or other thing.

She nods a little. "yeah...maybe with time my parents and I can reconnect but not right now." She smiles a little and was about to tell him something but the sound of her phone ringing inerupted her. It took her a moment to find the thing as she had forgotten where it was. Once she did though, she grabbed it and answered. "Hello?"

"Making sure you are still alive. Susan hadn't heard from you and you looked rather rung out the other day." Nick said from the other end.

She sighs and shakes her head. "I'm fine, just catching up on some sleep. Will you tell her to stop worrying? It's not helping."

It was easy to hear the guy sigh from the other end. "Yeah, like that's going to happen. Just be careful." The call ended.

Mary shakes her head and looks to Hexel. "Sorry about that. My friends....they worry but then again it's mostly Susan wanting to write a paper about me and I won't let her." She shrugs a bit.

Hexel froze at the sound of the phone ringing. The sound was something he hadn't heard before so he stared at the object she picked up. It's small form made him blink at it and as she brought it to her ear he leaned forward to see what she was doing. Her converstation which after a moment he felt he shouldn't have been listening. The male on the other end sounded worried and spoke endearingly to her. It made his heart flalter as he leaned back against the couch. Was she with some one? He couldn't figure it out as she called the other male a friend.

"They are good for worrying," He stated softly, "Susan wants to write about you? About the dream?"

She smiles faintly. "They are good friends." She then shakes her head. "Not just the dream but about all of it. She's a psychology major, someone who studies the functions of the mind and thinking, stuff like that. She thinks it would be a great essay for her and it would but I just don't want to have all of that horrible stuff out there." She shrugs a little and sits back down next to him on the couch.

"So now what else would you like to learn?" She asks curiously.

The demon hummed softly to himself as he nodded his understanding, "We can go for a walk if you want," He told her as he continued to pet the cat. The large male was feeling antsy. It showed in his eyes as he was looking any where but at her. He didn't like that someone would want to share anothers heart pain as if it was a story for the pleasure of others.

Mary looks to him, regarding him for a moment. Then she nods softly. "Sure, we can go for a walk." She smiles softly to him and moves to her feet. "Let me just get my keys and then we can go." She says and she had to find where she had put them last. Tracking them down and putting her cell phone in her pocket, she looks to him and smiles warmly. "Okay, I'm ready." Thinking she could take him to the park and show him around there.

He waited on the couch till she was ready then stood and followed her out the door. He had to brace himself for a moment as the sounds of the modern day assulted him. His nose could smell the slur of the water that flowed in the sewers below the streets the scent of things cooking. Voices assulted his ears, some angry some calm and friendly. He took another breath before he stepped down the steps and held his arm out for Mary to lead him with, "I am in your care," He told her in a polite way he was lost and a bit over welmed at his point.

Gently she took his offered arm and nods softly. "We'll take it easy. I'll show you the park where I used to walk all the time. It's calmer." She says and starts walking with him.

She lead the way through the streets, making sure to take him through the less crowded areas. She showed him some of the trees that she thought were beautiful that were planted by the city a few years ago. As they reached the park, she took him along the paths that were filled with the most trees and flowers and other such plants.

Hexel was greatful that she felt the need to chatter about the things around them. It allowed him something to focus on as he tried to adjust to the city that loomed around him. The trees made him smile softly as they were a familar thing even if they weren't the same kind he had known before his imprisonment. The sounds of things scurring around through the trees drew his attention when they reached the park. They looked like rats but with large fluffy talls and slightly more appealing to look at, "What are those?" He asked pointing at the squirrels that darted about the branches. One that was bold surried down a nearby tree to stare at the two.

A moment later the demon moved over to the little beast an held out his hand, "I have nothing to give you little one. Perhaps next time I will bring something for you and your guardian," He offered a gentle smile as the squirrel stared back at him then flicked its tail and scurried right back up the tree, "Tree nuts." He told her, "They like tree nuts and fruit."

The smile he gave her was wide and gentle. The man was connected to the earth around him in a way that not many would understand. Taking him to a zoo would be interesting to say the least.

Mary couldn't help but smile when he noticed the squirrels. "They are called squirrels. A lot of people don't like them but I find them adorable." She watches as he seemed to communicate with the braver of the two squirrels that was running around. This amazed her and she returns his smile. "We'll have to pick some up and come back tomorrow." she says smiling to him. "There is a small store we can go to that won't be so overwhelming for the first time."

She leads him along the path a little further, showing him flower garden that resided around a fountain that was vast with softly flowing water and some fish that circled around and swam lazily through the water.

The flowers amuzed him as he leaned down to take in the soft scent of one of the roses. Sitting down on the edge of the fountain he watched the fish that swam this way then that. Their colorfulness made him tilt his head as tried to understand where they were from. They looked familiar, "Painted carp," He mused softly after a moment, "This world is very interesting."

She smiles softly. "This was my favorite spot to sit at before everything...Just loved to sit out here and listen to the animals and watch the fish." She shrugs a little "Of course I would have my books with me." She smiles to him. Then she looks around a little, it was the first time she had actually been out other than to the library and classes. It was so strange. She looks back at Hexel. The normal idea about demons were that they were evil and never to be trusted. Yet here she stood with a demon who had been trapped in a book just hours before and was the reason she felt so calm again. It made her wonder what would happen once he got used to this world, would he stay with her still or would he go and travel? Part of her hoped he would travel, not because she didn' t want him there but because she wanted him to see all that he had missed in the long years in the book. She felt he had been robbed of the chance to see the beauty of the world and she hoped he would see it some day. She still wasn't sure what she would do with her own life. She pushes aside the thoughts of the future and turns her eyes to the fish once more.

He dipped his hand in the water just enjoying the cool liquid and how the fish swam past him, "I hope you enjoy coming here again," he told her gently. The demon couldn't help but notice her look as he reached out and pulled her to him, "Relax, clear your mind and simply listen." He told her gently in to her ear, "Ignore the sounds of this city and listen to the natural earth below your feet, the water, animals... If you cleary your mind and your heart you will hear them. And their voices."

Back