Flames From the Past (1x1)

Monica blinks a bit, the words sinking in. Had she really been so soft? She hadn't realized it. She thought back to all the times someone who suggest something and she usually just went along with it. Was she such a puppet? She grimaces at herself.

Being in the hospital they had taken away every part of how she had been as a child. Self confidence, awareness, her independence and she let them do it all because she was afraid to say other wise.

Pushing the thoughts of that horrible place from her mind, she looked over to see that Lucius had been making French toast. The smell brought her back to her mom. Her mother loved French toast.

She blinks a bit as Dustin tried to apologize to her. Then smiles a little at Lucius words about the house. She had felt the energy change in the home during the yelling but she hadn't realized it until now. "The house does feel different."

She regards Dustin a moment then nods. "I forgive you but next time....let's talk things through..." she smiles a little.

Niel had hungry dug into the French toast after making a plate for Monica and putting it in front of her.

Niel arches a brow as he looks to Dustin. "If she is in fact his daughter, which the similarities are scary, it's hard not to believe he would be like this with her." He shrugs.

Dustin glanced at Niel, "I understand but still the thought of him being soft or gentle is a bit sickening really. The king of Hell making french toast for anyone..." He chuckled, "It just doesn't sound like a realistic event," It was then he noticed the male across from him was scarfing down the bread and egg combo, "Don't tell me it actually tastes good."

Needing to find out himself he made himself a plate and munched on a slice. The taste was perfect and made him sigh slightly, "Must be some type of trickery for anything he makes to taste this good."

In much of the fashion of speak of him and he shall appear, Lucius strolled back in and glared at the angel, "Those are for them. You get the doughnuts," He took the plate away and slid it over to Monica. Sitting down at the other side of the table he frowns slightly, "No coffee and no tea... How did I forget that?"

Getting back up he headed over to the cabinets and rummaged around. He came up a moment later with a jar of peppermint and chocolate tea. Smiling he set about making it for them to drink, "If I remember correctly, your mother liked the color green and had a terrible sweet tooth. Favorite band was the Beach Boys and enjoyed classical to relax after an evening of stress," He set the tea on the counter before them all already poured in cups, "She also loved the scent of peppermint and kept flavored candies in her purse."

He was trying to further remember the woman who may have given birth to his child. It was hard to pinpoint when he had been with many women. He sipped the tea slowly as he closed his eyes.

Dustin stared at the male for a moment before he ate the doughnuts without arguing with him further.

Niel rolls his eyes at Dustin. "Never been a father have you?" He smiles a bit. He saw what happened to his hard killer comrades when it came to their little ones. It was a thing to see. Men that would go toe to toe with any threat and not cringe a muscle but if their little girl was involved, they were a force to be reckoned with and just as soft. Made him cringe at the idea of something happening to Monica.

He watched Monica's reactions as Lucius began to talk about her mother. He wondered how much had the doctors driven out of her.

As he spoke about her mother, Monica had closed her eyes, bringing the woman to her mind. Everything he said, it was her mother.

She opens her eyes and smiles a bit to him. "Yes, she would always have the little candies with her. She tried to eat less sweets as I got older....but we would have one night a week...it was our movie night and we would get our favorite candies and popcorn."

She wanted to cry but she forced herself not to. Tears wouldn't bring her mother back.

She made herself finish eating the French toast. It tasted amazing and she knew she needed to eat. Once she finished she relaxed in the chair and sipped on the tea. It reminded her so much of those days before the fire.

How would have things been if he had found her?

The devil tilted his head slightly to the side, "Don't hold it in kiddo, it will eat you alive if you do that. There is so much you have to learn and a short time to do so," He sipped his tea for a moment, "You have to come to terms with what you do or don't do. Humans are lucky their souls don't effect them till after they die. Many demons and nearly everything else has to deal with their soul constantly. But only one side of the scales that balance the soul."

Lucius didn't seem to understand where his desire to explain this to her came from, "Your mother had a nearly perfect soul," He remarked, "It's likely why you were born," Shrugging he leaned back slightly, "Who did she end up marrying?" There were so many questions yet he didn't know where to begin. He was sure she had just as many questions.

Dustin arched his brow slightly as he listened to the male explain things. He was being taught a thing or two by this man it seemed, "I've never been a father," He told Niel, "You?"

Monica nods a bit at his words. Crying was something she always buried. She nods slightly again and let the tears fall. It was impossible to hold them back after he spoke those words. She missed her mother so much and her human father. So much had been taken from her.

She smiles a little. "She married a teacher. He specialized in History and worked for the local college plus got to work with the museums at times." she sips on the tea some more and let herself relax further. "I guess they met right after I was born or while she was pregnant with me because I've known him my entire life." She tilts her head. "You said you tried to find me...when you first heard the rumor, how come you couldn't? Find me that is?" She asks curiously.

Niel smiles faintly. "Not my own. Just my little sister. Took care of her after our parents passed." He shrugs a little. "Saw a lot of my comrades with their kids. It was always interesting seeing the switch."

Lucius had to think about that for a moment, "You likely shut off that power and there for I lost the only way I could find you. Your mother had the ability to suppress energies when she wasn't overly stressed. Also I would say that demon has something to do with it. His altering of your memories and many other things lead to me becoming confused when I did find some power that was like my own. He was only doing his job."

He closed his eyes after a bit, "A teacher... So simple," A sigh escaped him slowly, "You know teachers are boring but they tend to keep under the radar and can keep their hearts balanced when it comes to things. I'm going to ask you about that night when you find yourself ready to talk about it and deal with the chains that are still holding you down let me know."

Dustin smiled slightly, "Sounds like an interesting group and life you had," His ears picked up on the conversation between Monica and Lucius causing him to stare at them.

She nods a little at his words. Her father had been very calm, never once raised his voice to her or showed any signs of anger for that matter. She blinks a bit though. "Doing his job?" It confused her. Then she nods a little. "I have to face that night sooner or later. There is no getting around that. I'm as ready as I'll ever be. It is still confusing because I have two different ways I see it now."

Looking to Dustin, she nods a bit. "Studying was always interesting to say the least. It helped that I liked school as it was but he would take me to the museum and on some of his trips with him. Mom would go with us too."

Lucius sighed softly and downed some more tea, "Contracts can be simple or complex. It would make sense that your mother looked for a complex on with a demon that had a sense of loyalty to any that he had helped before. He and your mother tended to bump into each other due to his home being your home. Nearly all others live along side humans without them ever knowing it. Those that do know it tend to avoid causing pain to the others."

At this point he was rambling as became more evident by his relaxed state as he stared off into nothingness that was his memories, "No others would go out of their way to harm a child unless they were forced to do so," He focused on Monica finally, "Are you sure you are ready to remember and even see what happened that day?"

Dustin was staring at the devil with a look of half terror on his face, "Why does it sound like you are about to make a contract with her?"

She tenses a little and stared at Lucius for a moment. Was she ready? "I...don't think I'll ever be ready for the truth..." She mutters then adds. "But I have to know. I will have to no at some point and running from it will get me no where."

She blinks a bit and looks to Dustin. His expression made her a little concerned then she looks back at Lucius as she waits to hear his answer to Dustin's question. Would a contract be so bad? She wasn't sure. She had never had one before and wasn't sure what exactly it would entail.

Lucius sighed, "A contract would be the simple way of doing things also the safest but for memories and looking into the past that would take her needing to be able to step into the belly of Hell. She would also have to be able to walk out on her own," He rubbed his head, "Regrets are what can hold a soul down in hell."

The belly of hell? Walk in get her memories and walk out. Yeah, it sounded simple but she knew it was much harder. It would be the most challenging thing she had ever gone through she was sure of it.

Could she walk back out on her own though. If she had indeed caused the death of her mother and father then could she walk out?

She had her doubts in herself. There was too much she regretted and too much she feared.

She looks to Lucius. "There is no other way to get my memories back is there?"

"What exactly does a contract entail?" She questions as well. She needed as much information as possible so she could make a decision. She hoped it would be the right decision.

"There are other ways but they are less certain," He states, "They involve letting someone fuck with your head," Lucius shook his head, "For us it's not a good idea we have to be in control in order for our powers to remain under control. Think of it as an atmosphere around a planet. Our control is the atmosphere while the power we hold is the planet. Without it we can destroy much around us without trying," Running a hand through his hair he thought about the second question, "A contract can entail many things they are as vague or as detailed as you and the partner make them. I've seem some that if written down would fill ten entire book the size of encyclopedias. While others are merely a line or two. Though contracts with me tend to be more complex and contain many ways for me to collect on debts that are being paid for the favor being asked for."

"He tends to take souls in these contracts," Dustin states clearly.

"Yes well there are many things asked of me where a soul is the only payment I can accept," He explains softly.

Monica nods slightly as she rubs her head a little. There was so much to take in at the moment. What should she do?

She closes her eyes as she sits back a bit. Then she opens her eyes and looks to them. "I need to know what happened." She nods a bit. "If the contract is the only way to do this and it sounds the safest way." She holds her hand up cutting off both Niel and Dustin. "I'm not agreeing to anything yet until I'm absolutely okay with it and as for payment....we'll cross that when we get to it. "

Niel shakes his head a bit. "Think good and hard about this Monica."

Lucius leaned forward, "Payment isn't a matter to simply be discussed later, kiddo," He sighed softly, "Perhaps you should spend your time learning a bit more about the ins and outs of our world before you dismiss something that can kill you," Leaning back again he crossed his arms over his chest, "For now I'm at your disposal till something that needs my attention comes up. You can ask me anything. As for keeping yourself in balance I'll help you with that if you wish as well. Keep in mind you might no like my way of doing things."

Dustin sighed, "I hate to say it but he's right. He's your father and there for you take after him more than any other being alive."

She rubs her head again. There was so much for her to learn. How had this all suddenly changed? She had been just fine, she had accepted her life as it was.

No that wasn't true, she had feared the day she would go blind completely and had only done what the doctors wanted so she could finally leave that place.

Taking a deep breath she nods. "What is your way?" The fact that Dustin had said Lucia's was right only made her more aware of the fact that this was the only answer. He was her father and if she wanted to keep control and learn more then he was the one to do all of that.

He stretched, "You will learn to control every inch of your body. It is the only way to understand what complete balance is for you," It was a difficult thing to do and wasn't for the faint of heart. He pulled out his knife again and sliced his palm so the dark crimsom blood poured out. Only a moment later the blood stopped flow out only to reverse its direction. The cut healed right before their eyes, "It's not hard when you have the control."

Her eyes widen as she watched the wound he had created and then it healed. So that was actually possible?

She nods a bit. "So...obviously you've had a lot of time with this...where do we start with me? In the hospital I went through meditations, not sure if that will help." She says.

"A simple task. you will try to heal those scars yourself the rest of the way. When you have done that we will move onto other things," He smiled gently at her, "I'll give you a hint to help you along. You have to see it in your mind."

Heal her scars? See it in her mind? She was starting to feel like she stepped into one of those fantasy books she used to read. Yet she knew what he said was true, that all of this was true.

Taking a deep breath, she nods softly and closes her eyes. She tried to relax her mind, to clear it so all she saw were the scars.

That good energy flared softly, warming the room. The scars started to itch a little but slowly they started to heal.

The temperature of the room became cold though as the image of that night flared in her mind. The new nightmare as her as the killer.

She gasps and leaps to her feet knocking her chair over. Her body trembling.

It takes her a moment to calm down and push the image from her mind. The bracelets warm on her wrists. "I'm sorry..." she mutters rubbing her head.

Niel had wondered how long she could do it. She was still too afraid of herself. She had to get over that.

The devil stared at her with an unamused look on his face. His eyes were sad while the rest of his face was expressionless. Snapping his fingers the energy she had let loose condensed into a small black pearl, "You are a killer. Is that what you want someone to say to you? That, yes you killed your family and the others that lived in that house?" He shook his head, "Look, little one, you have to become master of you mind or you will forever be lost to that darker power. Heal yourself," He stood then picking up the small drop of black energy, "And this will stop happening. You have to learn to live with every bad thing as well as every good thing that happens in your life because of you."

Rolling the little pearl between his fingers he looked it over before handing it to her, "Keep trying. For now your dark energy won't cause any harm thanks to mine," He made his way over to the couch and sat down. This was going to be a long process he could see that now.

Dustin glared at Lucius before giving a soft smile to Monica, "You'll get this. Don't let him get you down."

Back