Land Down Under (KJDarKnight & Treasure)

Pepper looked ahead towards Badru "I don't think that's love Lynna... he's just protecting me the same way he protected Misty when he first got here that's all...Guess he thinks I still need it" she pushed the thought aside, not sure how she would feel if it was more than that. "What about you and Charlie? Bit of a spark there?" she changed the subject to Lynna

Lynna smirked at Pepper, knowing she was changing the subject. "Eh, a bit, but neither one of us are ready to run head-long into something big like that. I told him I like him, but I'm not ready yet. He took it really well."

Pepper smiled "You're both young, you got time" she said "I could see you two as a couple" she said with a smile "Balance each other, he's smart and chill and you're energetic and outgoing.. opposites work well sometimes"

Pepper rolled her eyes "I told you, I'm not interested in a relationship, been there done that. I need to focus on my son and helping keep us alive" she insisted, she was reasonably afraid of commitment now and didn't trust her own judgement anymore

"Uh-huh. Because you aren't running away from anything at all," she said dryly. Then held up a hand. "Alright! Alright. I'm dropping it."

Pepper frowned but made no more comments just focused on the work at hand instead. Done being social now.

inside Misty's stopped shaking so much, still shivering but improving, Jonah could feel a little body heat coming off her now, not quite so much like an icicle

After a good bit more of "shoveling," Badru met them a little more than half way. He stopped and rubbed his hands together to warm them as he looked between Lynna and Pepper.

~~

Jonah sighed in relief as he held her close to him. "There we go," he murmured. "There we go. Get nice and warm and toasty. Once you are more awake, you can have a hot bath. Doesn't that sound nice?"

Pepper wiped her brow, having worked up a sweat but they had a good path to the water source and to the brick making materials and better access to the woods where the snow wasn't so deep. "Why don't we go see what Charlie's got cooked up.." Pepper suggested "Worked up an appetite

Misty opened her eyes but couldn't quite focus "Jonah?" she spoke softly, almost too quiet to hear

Badru dipped his head. He wanted to check on Misty, too, but he didn't say it. Misty may have thought he forgot about her, but he did care. Pepper and Peter needed him more - and, he admitted only to himself, made him happy to be around - but he hadn't forgotten Misty.

"Yes, I'm here," Jonah murmured to Misty. "Don't worry, I've got you."

After what Lynna said Pepper seemed a bit more awkward, now unsure about Badru's intentions.

Pepper started back "should check Misty's feet and hands. Looked like she had some frostbite.."

-'

"I'm sorry" Misty mummbled, not totally coherent, probably thought this was all a dream

Badru grunted in agreement and followed Pepper back to the cave. "Will you need more stones?"

~~

Jonah sighed and just curled around her more. "I know. It's okay. Just... please don't do that again. I was... I thought I'd never see you again."

She shook her head "we have enough. Just have to keep swapping them out" Pepper answered as she got back inside and stopped the snow off her boots

Misty groaned softly, definitely getting more feeling back which meant the pain and body ache would be setting in

Badru brushed himself off and stepped inside. He quickly hung his wet things on a rack Gray had set up near the fire then turned to help Pepper.

"I'm going to swap out the stones," Lynna said as she quickly shed her layers.

Jonah found her hand and held it gently in his warm one. "Are you feeling?" he asked awkwardly, not sure how to phrase the question.

Pepper gave her a nod as she pulled off the coat and gloves and hung them up.

Misty's hands still felt cold and swollen now but that was a good sign. Meant her body was fighting off the frostbite that threatened her fingers. But it hurt, so she only nodded faintly in response to him

"At least you can feel," Jonah said with a sigh of relief and rubbed her hand gently between his.

"Hot rocks coming through!" Lynna said cheerfully as she walked in with the piping hot rocks in a fabric sling she'd created between her hands. What she wouldn't give for oven mitts right now! She knelt and folded up the blankets so she could swap out the cooler stones with the hot ones.

Misty twitched slightly in response to Lynna's voice but relaxed again.

Pepper sighed coming behind. "Sorry Jonah. We'll leave you both in peace again but I need to check her hands and feet.." she wanted to just let Misty be but it was important

Jonah nodded reluctantly. "If you think it's needed." He carefully pushed the blankets down enough to get Misty's hands out without accidentally revealing anything Misty wouldn't want shown off.

Lynna finished her work and went to put the stones in the fire.

Pepper nodded a little and gently took Misty's hand. It looked pretty gnarly now, swollen as they were.

Pepper was gentle as she checked each finger for feeling "good... just keep them warm. I'll see if we have anything for the pain and swelling"

He then went to her feet, lifting the blankets just enough to expose and examine her feet, frowning at what she saw. She said nothing for the moment, tucking them back in and makeing sure her feet were close to the stones to better warm them

Jonah's eyes narrowed when he saw Pepper's expression. He didn't say anything, afraid of alarming Misty.

Lynna inched closer to Pepper. "Um, awkward thought, but what if two people held Misty? It would warm her up faster."

Back