The sharp bitter tang that spiked in the air dragged Adam from his thoughts. Tsuki appeared to have taken a step back too. He clenched his hands and took another breath. Letting such an annoyance bother him till he lost control, was unacceptable. He took a deep breath through his nose, the tang of fear lessened and was replaced with the calming ocean scent that appeared around Tsuki.

She spoke up, calm and steady, allowing him to focus on something other than his anger. She was offering to do his work. And while her job was to help him, he could fix this. He was the one that let this slip anyway. He was the one to fire Agatha. It was his responsibility and his problem.

"Thank you, Miss Nakamura." Adam sighed. "But you need to go finish your training. That is your priority. And this," He held gestured to the flash drive. "I can handle."

Tsuki cleared her throat. "I finished going through all of the training files you gave me half an hour ago, sir. I am uncertain as to what else it is I am supposed to be training on. Is there perhaps something else I could do for you? Some other office work you need done?"

She hoped he said yes. The training was rather boring and other than working on memorizing and familiarizing herself with certain catchphrases and words, there was not much else for her to do. She honestly had no idea why he was so adamant she focus on training the entirety of her first day. If he insisted this time, then she would go and do as requested, but shouldn't she be familiarizing herself with some of the actual day-to-day practices of the business?

"You're finished?" Adam blinked, then quickly checked her employee account. Sure enough, she was completely done with her training, earning an average of 90% on the courses. She did well, very well. He was impressed, but he was also unprepared to have her actually do things. What could she do? He had everything handled, and the rest was his job anyway. He looked over his desk, his eyes landing on the filled calendar. He got it! He focused back on Tsuki.

"Write down and set-up meetings with the lead publishers for tomorrow. Starting with Paige." That was something, right? And if she was a talker like Agatha, it would take her all day. Which would leave him unbothered to deal with this new mess.

"Yes, sir. Would you like individual or group meetings? Do I have access to view your calender to avoid conflicts?" Tsuki asked, running through the names of the lead publishers in her head and trying to remember them all. Talking to Paige would be interesting. She'd start with her. Even if their friendship was currently on uneasy footing, at least she was someone Tsuki knew.

“Ah,” Questions, she had legitimate work-related questions. Agatha and Circe only asked who they needed to talk to, if they asked anything. Tsuki seemed, competent and sincere. What was he going to do with that? "Just revise what you have with me. And no group meetings now." Those were the answers to her questions, right?

"Yes, sir, I shall start arranging those meetings for you for tomorrow. Do you have any preference on length of time for each meeting?" Truki asked. Depending on what he needed to discuss, fifteen minutes should be fine with a five window on either side for any notes, overflow, or latecomers.

Again with the questions! Really, in any other scenario, he would be impressed and would highly appreciate her attention to detail. But right now, with so much work and his control hanging by a thread, he needed to be alone. NOW.

"Uh," Adam rubbed his temple, trying to rub words into his brain. He looked at his calendar again. He scheduled fifteen minutes. "Um, fifteen minutes is fine."

"Yes, sir. I am wearing the earpiece, so please let me know if you need anything," she said, indicating the bluetooth in her ear. "I will be off now." She turned and let herself out. First to check for the list of publishers so she wouldn't forget anyone, then to talk to Paige.

Adam sighed as Tsuki left. Alone in silence, he could hear his heart pounding and there was a thrumming underneath his skin. He felt, almost too energized to work. But with a look back at his computer, he couldn't take a break. He had to call, Agatha. A snarl escaped him and his teeth grew a bit sharper. With a clench of his fist and a deep breath through his nose, he calmed down enough to hunt the information on Agatha.

Paige sat at her desk across from Emma, working on the layout of the text on the book. Emma was on the phone with prompters.

Tsuki approached the office with a clip board and pen at the ready, a pencil tucked away in case the pen stopped working. She tapped lightly on the door and smiled. "Paige?" she asked softly, trying not to disturb Emma. "Do you have a minute?"

Emma and Paige looked up. Emma rolled her eyes and turned back to her desk. Paige smiled and nodded. She saved her work before she stood up. With a quick squeeze, she stepped out of their cubicle and in front of Tsuki.

"Tsuki!" Paige whispered excitedly. "What can I do for you?"

"Well... maybe say yes to a time slot and overlook how awkward this conversation starter is?" Tsuki asked with a smile, keeping her voice loward. "Mr. Gonzalas wants a meeting with all of the lead publishers tomorrow, starting with you. Fifteen minute time slots throughout the day. I'm sorry it's such short notice and probably throws off your whole day."

"You're fine, Tsuki!" Paige waved away the abrupt nature of business. "But, I already set up a meeting with Mr. González," Paige's answer drifted off as her eyes got wide and her mouth formed a big 'O'. "Umm, Tsuki. I'm so sorry, but this is going to get more awkward because Mr. González sets up meetings with us right after he meets with us. He has since he started."

Tsuki frowned, now thoroughly confused. "What? Then... what am I supposed to set up? He specifically asked me to set up meetings with all of the lead publishers tomorrow with fifteen minute time slots. But if you already set up a meeting with him..."

She stopped and took a deep breath, stressed and flustered bt trying desperately to hold it together. She kept her face flat and emotionless, allowing only a hint of confusion to show, but inwardly, she was crying. After everything that had happened so far, she just wanted to go home and hide under the bedcovers. Maybe that stupid job in the curio shop wasn't so stupid after all.

"It," Paige let out a sigh. She looked back in her cubicle, to see Emma still on the phone. Then she stepped a bit closer to Tsuki.

"Mr. González did this with Agatha and Circe, the assistants before you, too. They said they were was something he asked them to do when he wanted to be left alone."

Paige pushed a loose strand of hair as she observed the quiet girl. Remembering her sincere words from before, and empathizing with her work ethic, Paige offered some advice.

"If you want, get the meeting times and set-up Mr. González's schedule for yourself. I can help. So, that way you can show him that he can trust you. How does that sound?"

Tsuki's lips thinned, and her eyes narrowed. Why that lying... She grit her teeth for a moment, caught between crying and stomping her foot like a spoiled child. It wasn't exactly hazing, and she kind of doubted he meant it that way, but she came here to work! What was the point of her being here if he wouldn't let her do anything? Especially when the jerk was clearly drowning in work.

She turned away from Paige and took a deep breath. She let it out slowly, counting to five. She didn't have time for ten. Okay. Focus. Never mind him, she had an opportunity. She needed to hang on for Papa. Don't run out crying, don't give into temptation and say words about the boss, don't make a scene, don't break down. Just do the job.

She faced Paige again and smiled gratefully. "Thank you, Paige. You help would be greatly appreciated!" She glanced into the cubical. "I wouldn't be taking away from your work though, would I? I don't want you to get behind because of me."

Paige bit her lip a bit as she watched Tsuki compose herself. Her feelings were understandable. When Circe found out what Mr. González was doing she quit (it took her three weeks). Marvin didn't even last long enough to figure it out fully (Mr. González scared him and he supposedly got a better offer). Agatha exploited that time to gossip and flirt out of pettiness. However Tsuki reacted, Paige was ready to accept. She was happy when Tsuki turned back and accepted her advice.

"I was just setting up some more layouts. I've already set up multiple layouts. I'm just waiting for our author's approval. So, I'm free to help!" Paige clapped her hands softly. "Starting with my meeting time, 8:15 AM"

"8:15 in the morning. That's bright and early," Tsuki said, quickly writing it down. "Alright, who is next? Is there a department schedule I can look at?" She gave Paige a weak smile. "For all the training I had to go through, it was rather lacking on the practical side for being a secretary."

Paige laughed and nodded in agreement.

"According to Fifi, Enchanters' Inc. secretary, there isn't any possible training that can prepare you for the González family." Her laughter died down and she composed herself.

"I can help with a department schedule though. Let's go to your computer. Also, just so you know, he usually does Dan, head of the YA department, and Lionel, our website head, after me."

Tsuki wouldn't say it out loud, but Fifi was probably right. Still, she was determined to try. She wasn't going to break that easily! At least not yet. This was all just so far from what she'd expected, it was difficult to wrap her head around it.

"Dan, and then Lionel," Tsuki muttered, quickly scribbling the names down on her clipboard. Then she turned and headed back toward her computer at a quick pace. "I can never thank you enough for this, Paige! I really appreciate it."

Back