“I have,” Paige’s smile softened. “I, used to go with a really good friend of mine.” Paige sighed, gripping the strap to her bag tighter, then releasing it. “It, it,” Paige smiled at Tsuki. “Would be nice to go again and share those memories.”

Tsuki smiled. She was about to say something when the elevator doors opened. She stepped inside and waited for Paige to join her before hitting the button.

"It sounds like they were very special," she said gently. "I'd be honored to maybe hear a little more, if you want to tell me."

Paige bit her lip and nodded.

"I don't know if I can, but I would love to tell you about her. I kind of already have," She pushed a loose hair back. "My husband will probably be ecstatic that I'm talking to someone else." Paige chuckled.

"Though," She smiled back at Tsuki. "You also have to promise me that you will tell me more about yourself. I want to hear all about you! What's your favorite book? Who's your favorite author? Are you a native or a visitor? Whatever you would like to talk about." Paige clasped her hands as she bounced on her toes a bit.

Tsuki couldn't help giggling at Paige's unbridled enthusiasm. "Of course! I am delighted to be talking to someone, too," she smiled. "At my old job, it seemed all there was time for was work and errands and collapsing at home. There was no energy left to go out, and all my coworkers... well, it was a high turn over type of job, so it was hard to make work friends that way."

The door dinged as it slid open smoothly. Tsuki stepped out and walked toward the outside doors, smiling at the receptionist as she passed. "I need to get my bike. Do you have a car or are you walking?"

Paige nodded as Tsuki talked, remembering her first job at the bookstore. Following her out of the elevator.

“Bye, Angela!” Paige waved as they went. She received a wave back. Then she refocused back on Tsuki.

“I walk and if it gets too bad or I’m running late my husband picks me up. I hope you don’t mind?” Paige put the same strand of hair behind her ear.

"Of course I don't mind!" Tsuki smiled. She fetched her well-cared for old-fashioned bicycle from the bike stand, keying in the combination quickly. She put her purse in the basket then wheeled it toward Paige.

"So! What type of coffee do you like?" Tsuki asked.

"I really like fruity teas," Tsuki admitted as they walked. She paused and reached into her bike basket, pulling out a pair of flats. She traded them for her low heels and sighed. Much more comfortable! "Blackberry is my current favorite, but I change almost monthly. I have been thinking about signing up for one of those 'teas of the month' subscription things, but I can never quite justify the cost."

The little cafe was not too far from the publishing building. It looked small and quaint in the shadow of the modern monolith. It looked like it was moderately busy, but not jam-packed. The line was only about three people long.

“No one,” Paige’s retort died on her lips as they entered the building. The only sound coming from her, was her heaving breath and how she squeezed her bag’s strap. Her eyes slowly roamed the interior, landing on a table in the corner by the window.

“It hasn’t changed.” She mumbled, her breath coming back to her.

Paige took a deep breath and looked at Tsuki. She tried for a smile, it came out smaller and more strained than usual. "I guess I didn't realize how this would affect me either." She glanced around the shop again. "It's been a whole year and it still hurts a bit." Her eyes came back to Tsuki. "But I want to stay." She lightly touched Tsuki's shoulder. "Thank you for coming with me."

Tsuki smiled up at her new friend, though she thought it was more of her dragging Paige with her than Tsuki going with Paige, but that didn't matter right now. "Good. Let's get a drink and maybe a little chocolately treat and sit by a window so we can spy on passerbys and guess what they are doing." It was as much a joke as it was an actual suggestion. Tsuki moved to get in line, smiling up at Paige invitingly.

Paige slowly walked to Tsuki. "Chocolate sounds good." She smiled and joined Tsuki. "In fact, their chocolate muffin and chocolate croissant were always my favorite. With their chai latte, mmmmm," Paige hummed, a real smile growing on her face. "What were you thinking of getting?"

Tsuki scanned the menu, tapping her chin thoughtfully. "Hmm, I've never been here before, and everything looks so good. How about... Oh! There's a nice selection of berry teas. How about... a chocolate croissant and a strawberry tea? That will either be amazing or terrible."

"Maria loved their strawberry tea." Paige smiled softly. "She said it was better than the disgusting coffee her children and her husband drink." Her eyes went distant a bit as she looked at the ground. Then she blinked and looked back at Tsuki. "Basically, I think you'll like it." She smiled brightly.

Tsuki giggled. "I have to admit, I am not exactly a coffee fan, either. The only type I like is the kind that looks more like some sort of weird milkshake dessert than actual coffee, and I think that sort of defeats the purpose."

Just then, the barista waved Tsuki forward, and she stepped up to place her order. She then slipped the barista a little extra and whispered, "For the lady behind me. It should cover a muffin, at least, maybe the coffee depending on what she gets. Don't tell her until she orders." At the barista's nod, Tsuki stepped out of line and moved over to the pick-up area to wait for her tea to be handed out. It should only take a minute for it to be ready, and her chocolate croissant was already on a tiny little white plate and waiting.

Paige went up to the counter and got a chai latte and a muffin. When the barista told her the price, Paige’s brows furrowed.

“I think that’s wrong,” Paige glanced at the menu then back at the barista. “The muffin and the latte was more.” The barista bit her lip and shrugged. Paige insisted once more but the barista shook her head. Paige huffed and paid. Then the barista smiled and gestured her head to Tsuki. With a blink, Paige understood. Muffin in hand, she went to stand next to Tsuki.

“You know, it’s usually the senior employee that pays.” Paige chided with a smile.

I thought it was the newbie trying to get on the good graces of the seniors who paid," Tsuki teased. "Or perhaps the friend who got there first and insisted the most."

Tsuki's order was ready, so she carefully collected the teacup and her chocolate treat, moving away to give Paige more room. As Paige waited and eventually got her order, Tsuki looked for a place to sit. She spotted a nice little table near a window with two chairs. Perfect! She moved slowly toward it to give Paige ample time to catch up.

"Well," Paige took a deep breath as she caught up with Tsuki. "Of course you got their first. Your youth not weighing you down with age and memories." Paige smirked back. "But I will allow your good graces now if I can pay next time." Paige proposed as she sat down.

"Deal," Tsuki agreed, sitting down across from Paige. She tested her tea, but it was still far too hot to drink, so she just nibbled on the edge of her croissant. "This is a very nice place," she murmured, looking out the window. She smiled at Paige and indicated someone out on the sidewalk. "Look, there goes a multi-millionaire on his daily walk with his dog. No one knows he's famous and super-rich, though, because he purposely dresses badly when he goes out despite having impeccable taste in clothing and fashion."

The middle-aged man she indicated was, indeed, dressed rather badly. Apparently, no one had ever told him not to put stripes with polka dots. However, he sported a happy smile as he walked his aging labrador down the street.

Back