"It's no problem!” She waved off Tsuki’s words. “Mrs. González always said that we can’t do our job alone.” Paige’s smile fell a bit, turning melancholy. “She told me that on my first day.”

Tsuki looked at Paige, a little surprised, but decided not to ask. Perhap she should have, but she really wanted to just get this job done and not waste any more of Paige's time. Maybe she could ask Paige out for a coffee after work and try to be friendly.

She sat at her computer, the seat wobbling a bit. "I'd offer a chair, but I don't know if we could fit another on in here," she said, scooting the chair over as far as it would go. She pulled up the documents on her computer and started entering the information Paige had already given her. "What's next? Or rather who, I suppose."

“So, on the employee portal, you go to the links shortcut.” Paige pointed at the screen.

“There should be a link there that takes you to the calendar. It’s titled calendar. That calendar is the company calendar. It gives us the days for the monthly company meetings, the scheduled releases, pay day, and the days we have off. We have at least one day off a month and two weeks off for Christmas. It’s a pdf that is updated every month.”

Tsuki made note of everything, marking it down and creating a separate printable calendar for herself. This all seemed easy enough when someone was showing her every step. Slowly the calender filled up, and after a few more questions, Tsuki had the list made up of who was meeting with Mr. González when tomorrow.

Tsuki smiled in satisfaction as she printed off the sheet and held it up. "Ha! And that only took, what... an hour?" she asked, uncertain of the time. "Thank you again, Paige. I know I've said it more than once already, but I cannot help but say it again. I would up a creek without you."

“It’s nothing, really!” Paige smiled brightly. “Plus, while he may look a mess, Mr. González does keep this ship running smoothly. The only difficult jobs are dealing with the authors and Mr. González’s.” Then Paige snapped her fingers.

“Speaking of, here’s some of the personal information to add to your make-shift schedule. Once every three months there is a meeting Mr. González has with his family and once a week they have family dinner, usually Wednesdays. At least that’s what Lucas says.”

Tsuki quickly made note of that on her own calendar. "That's good to know. Am I wrong in guessing these meetings make him a bit... prickly?" She chose her words wisely, not wanting to speak ill of her new boss.

“Ha!” Paige covered her mouth and looked around. After she was sure no one was bothered by her outburst, she looked back at Tsuki.

“Prickly would be optimistic. Though, Mrs. González was the same. She would be a little more on guard or stressed. Though, I only met Señor González once and,”
Paige shivered. “I’ve never felt smaller.”

Tsuki winced, hoping she'd never have to talk to them. One González was enough, thank you! She checked her watch then grinned. "Quitting time is soon. At least for me, I mean, I don't know if you have the same time sheet I do. Anyway, I just have to finish this up, and would you like to maybe meet for a quick coffee? I have an appointment I have to keep, but I'd have about half an hour," she offered.

Paige’s smile widened. “That’s perfect! My husband gets home an hour after me. And everyone comes in at 8 and gets off at 4:30. Well, unless there’s something due and Mr. González. He practically lives here.”

And Adam was still working. Having found out that Agatha had accepted paid submissions. She accepted 100 submissions for $10, with a promise of a professional letter of critique from an editor from Rose Hills Publications. He could sue her, refund the writers, and cause a scene.

His stomach dropped as his father’s lecture roared in his head. That was not happening. So, Adam resigned himself to reading 100 stories and writing 100 critiques. Which he was doing now. So far, he was on the fifth on

"Somehow, I am not surprised," Tsuki sighed. "Well, I need to get this done before clocking out. I'll see you at the elevators at 4:30?"

She scooted her chair back to its original spot and started laying out her highlighters in various colors. Give her a pointless job, would he? Well, let's see how good she could do this pointless job!

“See you then!” Paige smiled and waved before turning towards her desk. When she walked away there was a bounce in her step.

Adam put aside the letters and decided to focus on actual work. He finally finished the book and was writing his approval letter. Though his head was throbbing and the words were blurring. But at least his stomach stopped rumbling so he could focus in silence.

Ten minutes before it was time to clock out (metaphorically), Tsuki pushed back from her desk and looked at the calendar page in satisfaction. It was a work of art! It covered the rest of the month and the beginning of the next month, and everything on the company calendar that involved Mr. Gonzalez had been put in and meticulously color coded with a legend on the side saying what each color meant. Yes, this should do it!

She stood, made certain her skirt and shirt were straight and neat, checked her hair, then slid into her shoes. Feeling better than she had since this morning, she walked smartly across the hall and tapped on the door softly, calling out to Mr. Gonzalez.

Adam blinked. It took him a few minutes to get a scent and a read on who was behind the door. Tsuki. Tsuki was behind the door and he didn't know why. He held in a groan at the thought of her finding something else wrong.

"Come in." He sighed.

Tsuki opened the door and stepped in with a professional smile. "Good evening, Mr. González." She walked over to the desk and laid her meticulously done calendar on the desk in front of him. "I have ensured that every person you requested for a meeting is expecting it tomorrow and has no scheduling conflicts due to forgetting this long-standing appointment." Just the tiniest of emphasis on "long-standing." "Then I took the liberty of arranging the rest of your calendar in physical form. I find being able to look at a physical copy of something as overwhelming as a monthly calendar helps me to keep calm as well as remind me of what there is to come over the next few weeks and tell me at a glance if I have already arranged something. I do hope it is helpful to you throughout your day."

She took a step back and folded her hands in front of her. "Is there anything else I can do for you before I leave for the day?" Her tone never lost it's crisp, friendly but not familiar, and professional edge as she waited politely for him, her expression saying nothing.

"What the heck is this?"

Adam heard Tsuki, he did. But he just didn't get it. Not even Circe or Simon was this, extra. He even saw that she added his family dinners to the schedule. How she knew that was lost on him. He was also astounded by the color. It made it easier for him to read, but why? Why did she do it like this? Why was she actually trying to help? What the heck did she mean by long-standing?

"I just told you to set-up appointments. What's all this?"

Tsuki smiled lightly. "There appears to be some confusion concerning the appointments, sir, as every person I talked to had already had a standing appointment and did not need one made for them. Seeing as that was unnecessary, I thought perhaps you would like a physical copy of all appointments current and upcoming so you might more easily remember what will be happening when. It seemed a better use of the time you were paying me for than to stand around gossiping, although Paige is a most delightful person."

"Of course she is," Adam said quickly. Paige was one of his favorites even when, well before all this. She was always welcoming and really loved making books. Just like his mother. Adam shook his head throbbing head. He had to stay focus. He had to show Tsuki that contrary to popular belief, he was fine and did not need help.

"But there wasn't any confusion. Setting those meetings should have made you familiar with the departments. And this," He picked up the schedule she made. "I don't need." And dropped it in the trash next to his. "If I need your help, I will ask for it." He clenched his fist as a sharp pain came to his temple, focusing on talking to Tsuki to distract him. "And again, despite how you feel about pay, your job is to do what I say. Nothing more, nothing less."

Tsuki raised a brow at him, her lips twitching slightly as she watched the schedule drop into the trash. She said nothing, her face blank. She needed this job. She needed this job. Papa needed her to keep this job. She couldn't tell this jerk what she thought of him any more than she could run sobbing from the room.

She took a deep breath and smiled crisply at the man behind the desk, the man clearly close to suffering from a full mental breakdown. "It is 4:29, sir. I will be going to close my terminal. I will be here tomorrow precisely on time to answer your every whim just as you please. Sir." She turned and walked out, closing the door softly and gently behind her.

Tsuki was not one to swear, but... Damn it! She had tried to monitor her words, but those last few had slipped out with a bit more venom than she'd intended. Ugh! That... she didn't have a name for him. She focused on shutting down her terminal and making certain everything was tidied up properly. She was walking toward the elevators at exactly 4:30. Time for some coffee then to go do some meaningful work.

Adam blinked at the pointed words from the usually gentle woman. Her scent had also become a bit spicy as she spoke. And the way she said she would do everything he said, answer his every whim, he didn't like it. It was too, odd. But that was what he wanted, right? He wanted someone who would do what he said. He didn't want someone who was so ambitious and in need of appreciation as Circe, nor someone as skittish as Simon, and definitely not someone as troublesome as Agatha. He just wanted someone that listened to him.

Adam sank into his chair and leaned back. He rubbed his face roughly. Maybe he needed a break. But he didn't have time for it, did he? There was so much writing on it and his illegible scribbling crawled all over it. Trying to read it was increasing his headache. He glanced at the color-coded schedule he threw in the trash. He grabbed it out. It was really nice. Better than his, and for times like now, it was so easy to read.

Maybe he was a bit too harsh with her. He should have thanked her for realizing that he sent her on a frivolous task, and actually making something useful from it. But then, she would keep trying to help him. And, well, he didn't need help. He needed to get back to work.

With a sigh, Adam got back to work. He just had to focus on work. When he got work done then he would be good. Plus work was easy. There was a lot, but he could do it. As he hit send he looked at the layouts he had to finalize and decided those were next before he did the letters.

At 4:29, Paige logged off her computer.

"Coffee time!" She sang. Emma eyed her warily.

"Why are you so chipper?"

"Tsuki and I are going out for coffee." Paige smiled back as she gathered her stuff.

"So the little clamshell does open." Emma teased.

"Emma," Paige stopped and glared at the woman. "It was her first day. I remember someone acting very similar on her first day." Emma crossed her arms and looked away. "And then she thought she was all that and tried to hound Mr. González about something he knew and then cried over coffee about possibly being fired."

"I didn't cry!" Emma sputtered as her cheeks grew red.

"Fine, you worried." Paige smiled and finish collecting her stuff. "All I'm saying is give her a chance." With that Paige left and headed to the elevators. When she got to the hallway she saw Tsuki already there. "Tsuki!" Paige quickly walked towards her.

Tsuki turned and smiled at Paige. "Hello!" she greeted. She felt a little better already. Paige seemed so genuinely happy and without any hidden agendas. Even went out of her way to be helpful. Paige deserved far better than this place, but at least mister workaholic seemed to realize that.

She adjusted her purse and hit the elevator button. "So, do you have anywhere you'd like to go specifically? I'd rather thought I'd like to try that cute little cafe just down the block, but I'm open to anything you like."

Back