Rose ran over and said, "Hey, don't hurt her! She's just a kid!" Yes, she was also a thief who stole something priceless, but she was still only a child, at the end of the day.

She slid in and dropped to her knees beside Valara, "I would have helped you, you know," she said, gently retrieving her instrument, relieved to have it returned to her, and in the same condition it was when it was stolen, "you didn't need to steal from me."

She was, of course, planning to thank Nassirah, and comment on being referred to as a friend, but she wanted to deal with Valara first.

"She's being dramatic" Nassirah said, not letting go of the girls arm, having every intention of turning her over to child services.

Valara looked away from Ana, hiding her shame behind those curls "I'm sorry" she mumbled. That's what adults wanted to hear wasn't it?

"Sorry or not I can't let you run off again you'll die out on these streets" Nassirah ssid, still frowning.

Valara sniffled helplessly

Rose sighed, still kneeling beside the child, "It isn't your fault, you know, having to live like this, and I'm sorry that you do, but... she's right. She doesn't have to hurt you," Rose's eyes flicked up to Nassirah, "but she's right. You can't survive for as long as you think living on the street." Not that she would fare much better in the arms of the police. They'd view her as a criminal, which Rose didn't think was fair, considering she only stole to try to afford food. And child services weren't much better, but... at least she'd live. She'd have to work harder, but she would be alive to do that work.

"Do you understand?" She asked, softly.

Valara wouldn't look at her, far to upset still "not goin back" she said and tugged against Nassirah again but to no avail,her grip was firm "Rather risk it livin on my own, they ain't gonna put me in no lab again!" She twisted her arm and this time Nassirah hissed in pain and pulled her hand back, it looked burned? "What the hell..."

Valara stared for a second before she tried to run off down the street again

"The lab?" Rose asked, and stared in the direction of where Valara darted off in. She hadn't experience much along the lines of actual government programs, but she hadn't heard of anything about a lab.

She turned to Nassirah, and asked, "Are you alright?" After seeing the burn she lightly touched Nassirah's elbow and softly said, "C'mon, let's head back t'the inn. You don't want that t'get infected." She knew they probably should follow Valara, but now Nassirah was injured, and Rose wasn't even wearing shoes.

Nassirah watched after the child a moment. How had she done that? Innate magic was only a myth wasn't it? She shook it iff though and looked back at her hand. It was blistering a little. "I've got some first aid things in my bag...and food should be about here by now" she said, turning back towards the inn now.

She would certainly be tracking down that little girl again though

"Well, I'll help patch you up, you can't do it one handed," Rose said, walking with her to the inn. She glanced over her shoulder, looking once more in the direction the girl ran off to. Even with her excellent eyesight, she couldn't see where she had run off to, "oh, and thank you for catching her. I don't know what I would have done if I had lost my violin." She didn't mind the loss of the candy, it was only a minor disappointment for her, but caramel is easily replaced.

"Seemed like it'd be important to a softy like you" she said as they walked, shrugging it off as no big deal. It was a simple enough task but the fact she bothered meant something.

As they got back to the inn the pizza guy was just arriving at the door with a pizza box and bag with the salad container

"It was my great grandfather's," Rose admitted, "it's a relic. I probably shouldn't even carry it with me, but he made me promise to not lock it away somewhere. 'Violins don't belong in glass coffins' he said... and anyway I can't afford a separate travel violin. But... how did you know? Did you see it happen?"

Abe shook her head a little as she paid the pizza boy and opened the door to her room.

"No, innkeeper told me what happened" she said "hunting people down is what I do. No nig deal to go find her and get it back"

"Well, I'm extremely grateful." Rose said. She stopped in her room to put her violin away and fetch her first aid supplies before entering Nassirah's room.

"Let me fix your hand before you eat," she said, setting her first aid kit on the bed and digging out the supplies she needed, "it shouldn't take too long. Sit down for me?" She spoke it like a question, but clearly meant it as a command. Rose put her hair up in a bun, and then waited for Nassirah to sit.

Nassirah sat and held out her injured hand to allow Rose to wrap it for her "this is going to male tomorrows work annoying as hell" she said, not being able to grip with one hand .

"So...your great grandfather was a musician ?"

Rose had an exceedingly gentle touch, and she took her time as she dressed Nassirah's wound, "I suppose we'll have to walk t'Drakenwood, then, or else I'll have to be the one driving your bike, because I doubt you'll be able t'operate it like this." She spoke without looking up, keeping her attention on her work.

When she finished she sat back for a moment and looked at the other woman before hopping lightly to her feet and going to wash her hands, "He played for the queen until the kingdom fell," she answered, "I come from a long line of court musicians, although of course not everyone in my heritage was, because you can't force music onto someone. We were titled, the McGanns--although we didn't use that name, then, it was adopted after the fall of the kingdom, to hide behind--were musicians and politicians and we married in high places, but then Ambaro Galad was lost, and we fled North, and became a little family of innkeepers," Rose shrugged, drying her hands and taking the salad box, unaffected by her family history, "and now the great wheel turns to the Mages."

Nassirah looked down at her bandaged hand, flexing it experimentally, still had some movement. that was good. Rose had a point though, she wouldn't be using her bike with this "You're lucky" she said after a moment.

"I couldn't tell you a thing about my parent's let alone my ancestors" she said, frowning, but shook it off and looked up at Rose. "You know how to drive a bike?" she asked "Darkenwood isn't a short distance, walking would waste a lot of time"

"That's the Elvish condition, isn't it? Clinging t'the past as though there's something you can do about it..." She murmured, not neglecting the brief vulnerability Nassirah showed, but not wanting to ask questions for fear it would only make her clam up. Instead, she decided to downplay her own situation.

"And, I'm not an expert in it, by any means, but I can drive well enough. One of my sisters dated a guy with a motorcycle, once. It was a few years ago, though."

Nassirah chose to stay focused on the bike now, making no more mention of family. "Good, but if you wreck my bike you're buying me a new one. Understand? And they don't come cheap" she cautioned before opening the pizza box "Eat" she nodded to the bag where there was a plastic to go box of salad

"We should discuss our plans for tomorrow"

"I won't crash your bike," Rose promised, "I may not have much experience, but I do have quick reflexes." She sat down on the edge of the bed and began to poke at her salad, never being one to really dig into a meal.

"What is there to discuss? We go to Drakenwood, explore it, find him." Secretly, she hoped not to find him, because as much as she tried, she couldn't view him as a criminal. Not really. They had no proof he had done anything beyond invent, and it was difficult for her to move beyond it.

"We need to pinpoint a possible location. I have a map of what I've explored so we can eliminate some parts of the woods with that" she explained, pulling out said map once more to have a look "I want to spend as little time there as possible"

"So..." Rose breathed, looking down at the map, "we can be sure you've been here since he's moved in? It'd be terrible if we ignored somewhere he was." Although, she did not expect that to be a problem, if the townsfolk were right and he had moved away years ago.

"I suppose... I suppose we should also be concerned of if he set traps. Just because his house didn't have any, doesn't mean he didn't guard his current location better... Did you find anything notable in his house? I never asked."

"we don't know for certain but they said he moved years ago, so we start with places I've not been and move on" she spoke Rose's thoughts on the matter as she looked over the map, eating while she did so. "Yes traps are usually an issue with people who don't want to be found, we will have to keep a sharp eye. Shouldn't be a problem for an elf" she looked up at rose with a small smirk playing across her lips

Back