Something like that, yeah. Like some kind of crystals or something they've scavenged from ruins. We can Like I said, those who are smart about it can pass for human and cam come and go in cities. Those who abuse it are twisted, maybe mentally as well as physically. We should try to distinguish their powers from the psychic Crackles. The psychics are consider to be 'gifted' as if maybe Sibisis gave them their abilities. So being a Crackle isn't taboo.

We should try to define what the common disfigurements for the Touched are, possibly if we go the Crystal route it could be something like Gray scale from Game of Thrones. but it twists the body as well, instead of just the skin and affecting the mind. It will be one way to distinguish between them.

Maybe Touched require a medium of some sort while the Crackles dont.

How about this. The Touched have a culture, and 'Touched' is like a pejorative to them, an insult. Maybe they have a different name they call themselves. Part of the culture is body modification in the form of these crystals they graft into their skin for decorative purposes. It turns out these crystals are this old tech they don't understand. Different crystals grant different abilities, kind of like plasmids in Bioshock. The disfigurement begins at the graft points of where the crystals are embedded. Maybe just discoloration of the skin. I'm not sure how it'll look as it progresses. I like the GoT visual and it will probably be some kind of variation on that. Full blown disfigurement should be monstrous.

Any more ideas about the survivor/ranger class? What if they are Touched outcasts. They didn't take to the crystals, so they're forced to survive on their own. Most of them die, but the ones who don't are pretty tough and probably very resistant to poisons, radiation, and things of that nature. They're loners and there's not enough of them to form any sort of sub-community

That would work, it was kind of my idea for it to be something like that, it would be that when the Touched first turned towards the Crystals some realized what they were and forsook it, thus began this group. They have no actual structure, we could call them Outcasts or something like that.

Now I've turned my attention to our Dwemer-like friends. I think they're what's left of the old civilization. They live deep underground and still have some grasp on old technology. They've forgotten most of it as well, but they have a much greater understanding of tech than anyone else does. I think they look very different from normal humans, but they have some kind of tech that makes them look normal. They tend to be tinkerers, mechanics, and inventors. They might be the reason for the industrial revolution

Thats what i was thinking, maybe the tech could be like something to manipulate light or somethign to change their appearance or how they are perceived. Will get a prelim bestiary u soon once i find applicable pics dn stuff.

Alright. Before we delve any further, I'm going to get a google doc together to organize what we have so far. I'll add a few things to it I've been thinking about like basic governmental organization and the Parishes. Any quick ideas before I do so shadow? I won't start for a few hours when all the turkey and family bits have concluded

not really, I might have an idea for an extremely dangerous region where most of the hostile Flora and Flauna is located but nothing really concerning othr things.

I think a name along the lines such as the Forsaken Zone or the like would be applicable. It would be one of the more dangerous areas, and would be massive spanning a couple Parishes or so, but it would be littered with old cities and the like full of ancient technology, thus although it is extremely dangerous many have gone there for the treasures within or something like that.

Last edited:
I was toying with an idea for a fairly small group of people. People who lived during the time of the old civilization. They used a combination of magic and technology to keep themselves alive for all of this time. They don't necessarily associate heavily or live together. Rather, they've spread out among the people in attempt to push the political landscape or make moves from behind the scenes to bring forth whatever their goal is. Most other people wouldn't know that they were any different from normal people in their perspective races. They would, however, have a very deep understanding of ancient technology and magic. And their general wisdom would be high because they've lived so long.

The Array would likely have the most knowledge about these individuals since they are the largest and most well-funded organization it seems. To the rest of the people they might be like myths.

Their beliefs and objectives might be deeply rooted into whatever was going on with the old world died. Maybe they are still on a mission. Or maybe their side lost something and they have a plan for vengeance.

Just an idear.

That's the idea, I think, we're going for with our underground Dwemer (I don't know if you're familiar with Skyrim or not) friends. I don't think they live in vast underground cities of advanced tech, more in small communities or workshops where they store what's left of the old tech/lore. They blend with those above ground using some kind of light refracting tech that alters their appearance. I thought it might be because of them that the Parishes are experiencing its industrial revolution

I was toying with an idea for a fairly small group of people. People who lived during the time of the old civilization. They used a combination of magic and technology to keep themselves alive for all of this time. They don't necessarily associate heavily or live together. Rather, they've spread out among the people in attempt to push the political landscape or make moves from behind the scenes to bring forth whatever their goal is. Most other people wouldn't know that they were any different from normal people in their perspective races. They would, however, have a very deep understanding of ancient technology and magic. And their general wisdom would be high because they've lived so long.

The Array would likely have the most knowledge about these individuals since they are the largest and most well-funded organization it seems. To the rest of the people they might be like myths.

Their beliefs and objectives might be deeply rooted into whatever was going on with the old world died. Maybe they are still on a mission. Or maybe their side lost something and they have a plan for vengeance.

Just an idear.

When you say they're wise because they are long lived, do you mean that in the sense that they just have a much longer life span because of old tech, or that they were literally alive during the old civilization that existed 2-3k years ago?

I mean that they were literally alive back then. That's why I was thinking a very small group of people rather than a whole race. They could even come from various other races/classes. Perhaps it is something dark keeping them alive or perhaps it's not so black and white.

I think that Gattle, was wanting the ancient civilization itself to be all gone, I think people could have inherited their culture, but the actual people will be gone i think. I might be wrong however.

Ah. Okay. Well I understand if that's the deal.

On the flipside, still toying with the idea, perhaps these people want to bring it back. Somehow. Not sure how you bring an ancient civilization back though.

Ah. Okay. Well I understand if that's the deal.

On the flipside, still toying with the idea, perhaps these people want to bring it back. Somehow. Not sure how you bring an ancient civilization back though.
Well it would be up to Gattle, but perhaps this group could have adopted the Culture of the ancient civilisation and then found a mausoleum or the equivalent and plans to do something along those lines, idk.

I mean that they were literally alive back then. That's why I was thinking a very small group of people rather than a whole race. They could even come from various other races/classes. Perhaps it is something dark keeping them alive or perhaps it's not so black and white.

Shadow is right. This old civilization is lost. Think of it in terms of say, Atlantis now. This underground race is what's left of that culture, but they themselves have lost most of the knowledge of the tech and culture too, but they have access to much more than everyone else. Also the people of the Parishes don't know they're there. I haven't entirely figured them out yet and what their goals are. They are definitely interested in the civilization that has emerged in the Parishes and are involved in it, and I don't think they want to destroy it or anything, but they are manipulating it in a small way. And they don't care about the politics of it, they're just kind of moving the technology along.

Once I get things organized it will be much more clear. It's been slow going because of Thanksgiving and sick kids, but I'm making progress. I'm hoping tomorrow or Tuesday

I know we mostly covered the Touched, but I had a quick idea for them. If a few people knew what they were doing with the crystals (just a little more than everyone else), they could basically create a higher class within the touched for themselves, using their knowledge as a way to boost their standing amongst the Touched.

Back