Well that could be a sort of caste system among the Touched, but lets keep it to something like certain bloodlines, that happen to be the leaders for the most part, that pass down the knowledge. The other touched will see it as some sort of acknoledgement from the crystals or the like, while those Touched iwll know differently, or something, but it can occur naturally as well, just it is rather rare.

This sounds intriguing... I'll look through what you guys have said and see if I can brainstorm... if that's okay? Unless you have enough already interested.

This sounds intriguing... I'll look through what you guys have said and see if I can brainstorm... if that's okay? Unless you have enough already interested.

You are more than welcome to jump in. I'm working on a google doc to organize what we have here so far that will be a good reference for everyone. I'm hoping to have it up in the next two days

Reactions: Nyx
I know we mostly covered the Touched, but I had a quick idea for them. If a few people knew what they were doing with the crystals (just a little more than everyone else), they could basically create a higher class within the touched for themselves, using their knowledge as a way to boost their standing amongst the Touched.

I don't think there would be a caste system among the Touched. I think I've likened them to gypsises. There's pockets of them that aren't necessarily connected into a larger community. The smartest of them would naturally be the leaders and probably have a deeper grasp of the crystals. I think that maybe the only commonality between the pockets of the Touched are the body mod stuff. Maybe they all come together once a year or something for a big swap meet and that's where their common culture is mixed together.

Well that could be a sort of caste system among the Touched, but lets keep it to something like certain bloodlines, that happen to be the leaders for the most part, that pass down the knowledge. The other touched will see it as some sort of acknoledgement from the crystals or the like, while those Touched iwll know differently, or something, but it can occur naturally as well, just it is rather rare.

What if there is a particularly rare/beautiful crystal reserved for the best of the Touched, like a special award and it has a particularly powerful ability attached to it? I don't know, an idea.

That could happen, but they would have to be able to handle a portion of the crystal first, could perhaps be a reason for many of the more grotesque Touched, overzealous parents with high hopes or something. How would they determine the Best/Strongest of them competitions or what?

It could be for adults. The body mod stuff doesn't have to be reserved for kids. They could be like military chevrons. Like different crystals/patterns for different reasons. Crystals could be removed also I'd think. I guess I haven't really thought of it specifically. How do you think we should incorporate the crystals into their culture shadow?

I also thought the Night Fighters could possibly named the Shadow Squad, or Starfall, or something kind of campy like that. It's an underground resistance, but it's also made up of mostly the young and edgy. And people like that usually name their groups things that are sort of campy. Let me know what you guys think

Well i thought we had discussed before that at birth or so there would be crystals implanted that would tell whether they were compatible then they would get others at different point for a sort of coming of age. Then as you said for certain things they could get other crystals i guess as a reward of sorts. They could perhaps not worship the Crystals but see them as something sacred and view their deformations as an act of whatever diety, i guess.

Well i thought we had discussed before that at birth or so there would be crystals implanted that would tell whether they were compatible then they would get others at different point for a sort of coming of age. Then as you said for certain things they could get other crystals i guess as a reward of sorts. They could perhaps not worship the Crystals but see them as something sacred and view their deformations as an act of whatever diety, i guess.

Right, I remember. That's why I'm trying to organize everything! The crystals aren't religious, but super important to their culture. The leaders are the Touched that have the rarest crystals, but have also not been disfigured by the blood greed.

will different crystal colors respond to different abilities or what?

I think so yeah. I'm thinking the old civ somehow figured out how to make these crystals and (or possibly mine them off planet?) they were used as a power source. I think different crystals grant different abilities. The common ones give everyone the same common abilities, the rare ones are stronger. It's relatively easy to scavenge the common ones. Maybe that's part of the coming of age ritual, scavenging crystals. Maybe, like I think you suggested, leading a tribe is a might makes right kind of structure. If you think you can lead, you have to challenge the leader and win

I love the parent idea you had earlier too. Like parents push their kids to be the best. Maybe there's a kind of fighting culture within the community, it's how they train and test themselves and determine their leaders

I say we have the colors of the rainbow represent the crystals rarity in ascending order or so, with White and black being the most powerful and rare or so.

For abilities possibly we could go with some abilities from here, tweaked to fit a more logical tech based origin. I think that the most common ability would be fire generation, they would be able to induce fires, but only in places heat is present, or something along those lines.

Last edited:
I say we have the colors of the rainbow represent the crystals rarity in ascending order or so, with White and black being the most powerful and rare or so.

For abilities possibly we could go with some abilities from here, tweaked to fit a more logical tech based origin. I think that the most common ability would be fire generation, they would be able to induce fires, but only in places heat is present, or something along those lines.

Cool idea, I haven't looked at the abilities yet, but I like the idea for sure

@Shadowwell since the Touched is your brainchild, I'd like you to give them their proper name. We'll still call them the Touched, everyone will, but that's not what they call themselves. They consider being called 'Touched' insulting since it was a name given to them by the Church.

I have a few names but should they be connected to Ixe or the like?

Possibly the Chosen or The Christened, might use a name from another language that means crystal or crystal lovers something like that.

I have a few names but should they be connected to Ixe or the like?

Possibly the Chosen or The Christened, might use a name from another language that means crystal or crystal lovers something like that.

Not Ixe. Their association with Ixe is just claims made by the Church. I think most of them don't care about the Sibisis/Ixe myths. Maybe they have their own myths. I like the idea of the name having something to do with crystals. Or just make something up that sounds cool. I think the Chosen or Christened is too much like the Touched. It's kind of using different words to say the same thing, but that's just my opinion. I'm good with whatever you decide as long it's not the Fuckfaced McFuckersons or anything crazy

Last edited:
Back