The new Humans (Role play)

Dust King - Peseo Waterfront

Dust was stunned momentarily. He cycled through several different facial expressions; confusion, disbelief, and deep thought, to name a few. He scratched the side of his face, lost in thought. The wonderful woman he had met, perhaps only an hour ago, he had become friends with, and was asking to join his caravan party. He was lost for words.

Slowly, Dust began to nod his head in agreement. "Alright. Alright. We have been missing our ninth guard for a while. Our next run was planned for Onac, so this works out very well." He looked down, lost in thought. "That should give you a chance to meet with your family, and grab anything you really need. There'll be a few matters to take care of at the guildhouse, getting a picture taken for records, a little bit of paperwork, nothing too exciting, but stuff that should get done if you're going to be traveling with us."

Jeremy, ever at attention, picked up on the new patron arriving at the bar. "Another basket of shrimp and fish then for our new patron." He prepared a similar meal to the one prepared for the previous customer, and placed it on the counter in front of her. He was momentarily befuddled by the girl staring into the distance, but upon seeing her milky, scarred eyes, he figured the result. He accepted one of the silver coins, and passed back several copper ones. "Your change." He took a moment to look her over, and furrowed his brow. "You sound like a trader, but I don't think I've seen you around here before. You from a guild, or do you fly solo? Or am I off the mark all together?" He asked in his high, scratchy voice.

Let out a soft sigh of relief as she was heard. Hearing the meal being olaced in front of her. Taking the change she felt it in her gloved hand before picking up the silver piece and stuffing it backing in her satchel. Adjusting her head so that she was facing Jeremy her milky hues were unsettling for most. Their scarred surface making even those with a tough stomach a bit queasy.

Happily taking a bite and savoring the food she was given as she listened to the man's inquiries. Swallowing she spoke, "Pretty close guess. I fly solo however I often stick with various guild and help with deliveries and such in trade for some protection. The guild I am working for at the moment are the Jackals. They sell various furs and the like. Rather popular group have ya heard of them?" She asked before turning her attention back to her meal. Savoring each bite she was a slow and quiet eater.

Alexis watched as Dust's facial expression changed with a amused look on her face. Surely he had people asking to join his group before right? When he finally seemed to get it together Alex and started to agree to let her join she smiled. The paper work and photo were things that could easily be done. She was just glad that he didn't outright reject her offer. "So you're going to let me join just like that? No questions of what I can bring to our group? You only met me an hour ago after all."

While Alexis was an adult and could make decisions on her own that didn't mean that people liked the ones she made. She had an idea of how her family would react to her news. Her mother would try and convince her otherwise. She didn't realize that her daughter didn't want to be a housewife like she was. Her father would ask her if she was sure and that was that. He would worry of course but he knew how stubborn his child could be. As for her brother they would tease her about finally spreading her little wings and flying. They wouldn't try to ruffle her hair like they once did in fear of Apep's bite.

"Onac is one of our safer trips, all things considering. Few bandits, and most of the monsters can be avoided. You'll be able to prove your worth to the rest of the group there. If you find it's not the life for you, that's not a problem. You're confident, and that's a good start. You've got Apep on your shoulders, so you don't need to worry about hand to hand fighting, although it's something that should be learned. And guns are simple enough to use." Dust shrugged. "Trading, at least the transporting part of it, is mostly confidence, perseverance, and a quick mind. The rest comes with experience. If you can stick with it, I don't doubt that you'll do well." He reassured her.

Jeremy felt a bit uneasy as he was watched by those blind, filmy eyes, but he hid his discomfort as best he could. "The jackals, eh? I've heard of them sure. They pass through Peseo quite a bit. We make guns, and machine parts, but we're not on the wild side quite so much as the other villages." He filled a tin cup with cool, clear water, and set it next to her plate while he spoke. "It's mostly the Peseo Trade Union around here, though. They do a good job of keeping us stocked, and getting what we need, although even with near two hundred people, it's still not enough to keep demand with over five thousand." Jeremy paused, before asking "So what's your name, anyway?"

"I have knowledge on hand to hand combat. My brothers are warriors who wanted their little sister to be able to defend herself." Alexis informed him. She didn't mention her little quirk that usually helped her when their was trouble. As for guns there were people who used them but not many, because of their location bullets were hard to come by. His encouraging words were only making her more sure of her choice. "So shall we leave together or maybe you have other business to attend to?" She asked.

Alexis stood up and stretched. When Apep tightened around her neck she frowned. "Oh I didn't forget about you." She looked to Jeremy. "I don't mean to interrupt your conversation but do you think that Apep's lunch has arrived?" She asked quietly. She didn't want to be too loud and possibly ruin his business.

Listened to the tone of Jeremy's voice as she ate. She was aware her appearance disturbed many, children didn't dare look in her direction out of fear. She appreciated the distance people kept from her though, kept others safe from being hurt. Hints of unease set into his tone as he spoke though he seemed to try and hide it. Listening to the conversation of the two beside her she decided to keep her head down at her food. Hearing a glass of liquid being placed by her plate she nodded in thanks before taking a few gulps of it.

"Ah yea, the trade union has got a good grip on trade here, I haven't gotten a chance to strike a deal with them yet but we shall see. I am blacksmith of sorts, any sort of metal I can work with, make jewelry, tools, etc." She spoke between bites of her food, closing her damaged eyes. "The name is Secrée."

Her attention was caught be the young girl as she seemed to addressed the man she had been talking to. Finishing up her food she opened her milky eyes to look in the direction of Alexis. There was a third person? Apep? She listened in hopes to catch breathing or something of this third person. A slight look of confusion coming over her features for just a moment.

Last edited:
Chojin pulled out a small bullet and palce it down on the counter "keep the change" he said before he got up and walk over to his Motorcycle and got on "if you ever need to find me there's my Number" Chojin called out while he threw a white card to Jereny and started to drive away. "I wonder if i should i go back home or stay for just alittle bit longer" Chojin thought to himself before he shook his head "nah their just call me back later i bet" he told himself before he pushed the jet button and began to fly into the air.

"Fair enough. Everything helps." Dust remarked. "We can set out soon enough. We prefer to travel to Onac at night, usually. The only real dangers are the Three Headed Snakes, and those are usually asleep about this time." He paused, thinking over the process. "Tell you what. I'll head down to the guildhouse, fill out what needs to be done, and you'll just need to stop by for the picture. I'll meet you back here when I get it all done, and we'll be on the road by dusk. That sound alright, or do you want to head down to the guild with me?"

"Secrée, Secrée... Alright Secrée, I'm Jeremy. Good to see another face around town. And," He said, noticing her momentary confusion, "'Apep' is a snake. The girl, Alexis, is wearing a live viper as a scarf. At least, I think its a viper. A very large one. But they've been there about an hour, and no one has been bitten yet, so I'm not to worried." Jeremy shrugged.

He stared ludicrously at Chojin as he was lazily tossed a white card with a series of numbers scribbled on it. "Kid, do you even know what time we live in? Who the hell has a phone.." He muttered, before watching the kid have some kind of illusionary fit, something about a flying motorcycle, near has he was able to tell. Frankly, he was pretty damn sure the kid was brained damaged in some way, but let him slowly bumble off on his motorcycle, oblivious to the world.

Chojin flew back down and drove back to the shack "oh yeah just one more thinh i can do this" he said before Chojin pulled out his gloves and and walk over to a tree. "Strength Break!!" Chojin yelled out as he pulled a tree from its roots and threw it at a waterfall like a dart "yeah bulleye's" he calles out while he jumped into the air.

Tilted her head with curious intent. Now facing Alexis the short woman was practically filled a child like excitement. A tamed snake? How fascinating! Looking up at Alexis she rubbed her gloves clean on her pant thigh. "Apep is a snake? That is amazing! Would.. Would Apep mind if I touched? I can't exactly see." Her glazed and even frightful eyes searched in Alexis' direction, searching for a change in the shadows she saw or even a response.

She had been all over and had often heard of tamed beasts, she once met a tamed bear but it didn't go over well as it belonged to bandits. Her hidden ear told the story of what happened then. Staying in her seat not far from Alexis she sincerely hoped she would be able to 'see' this intriguing creature.

Alexis looked thoughtful for a few seconds. Since they were both going to Onac she could just take back the shadow bears and the carriage later. She had left a large amount of for them so they wouldn't get hungry. "I'll come with you. I want to meet the others travels. And since we are going to Onac I just drop off the carriage and bears later." When she heard Jeremy say her name Alexis looked over. She realized that they were talking about Apep. She looked at the newcomer and tilted her head.

Alexis turned her attention to the enthusiastic short woman. She looked into her eyes and realized that she was blind. The woman's eyes were rather pretty, it complimented her looks. She was surprised that she had asked to touch Apep. People usually avoided being anywhere near the snobbish serpent. "Yes Apep would most definitely mind. He doesn't like being touched by strangers." She was blunt with her answer.

"But if you ask maybe he'll let you touch his head. I can't promise that he won't bite." Apep turned his eyes to the new human who had arrived. He flicked his tongue out curiously before turning awayz

Let out a small chuckle at the blunt reply. Nodding before starting to go through her bag. "Ah yes, I don't like being touched by strangers either." She felt around her bag before pulling out a small fur hand warmer. Shaped like a tube it had fur inside and out. Offering the decently lengthed warmer to Alexis or rather Apep.

"I understand colder weather can be quite challenging for snakes. If you are to be traveling it would be useful for Apep to be able to stay warm and not hidden away completely." She smiled slightly. A bit embarrassed of her own reaction towards such a thing. Yet again a tamed snake was an incredibly rare companion for someone to have.

"Alright then, Alexis. I'll get started on what needs to be done. The guildhouse is the large warehouse building down the street with the letters 'PTU' mounted on the wall, if you feel like coming ahead of time." Dust got off his seat and started his walk down.

Jeremy, meanwhile, had taken the small lull in activity to slip away. Moving out of sight of the patrons, he proceeded to enter an adjoining building, where, after short while, returned with a ancient lunch box, shaking ever so slightly from the contents within. The scratching of tiny nails on the metal surface within was barely audible through the din of activity surrounding them, even at a close distance. Double checking it was latched securely, he passed Alexis the container. "Apep's carryout." He said with a wink.

Alexis looked at Secrèe with surprise all over her face. Apep himself even turned to look at the human in interest. Alexis look the hand warmer and smiled at her. "Thank you. I am sure that Apep would appreciate this very much." She said. Apep stared at the blind human before slithering down Alexis' arm. Alexis raised her arm and grabbed Secrèe's gloved hand. "She placed it on top of Apep's head. After a few seconds Apep slithered back to Alexis' neck and Alexis let go Secrèe's hand.

"I will meet you there later." She said. Alexis turned her attention to Jeremy. She noticed the lunchbox in his hand and chuckled. Apep's head snapped in the direction of the box. He could hear and smell his lunch inside. "Thank you Jeremy. " Alexis grabbed the lunch box. "We must get going. We have things to return. I'll be back here later." She said before taking off. She soon disappeared into the crowd.

After getting her carriage and feeding the bears again Alexis climbed on and headed back to Onac. Like before she would be swift and hide in the shadows. On the journey back Alexis had run into a little to no trouble. And when she arrived at her village she returned the shadow bears and carriage. The young woman freshened up and fed Apep.

When Alexis was about to head out again she was stopped by her parents. They were curious about why their daughter was going back to Peseo. Alexis simply told them that she was going to travel like she always wanted too. They attempted to get her to change her mind but they knew that it was futile. Their daughter was a stubborn woman and she was old enough to make her own decision. So with tearful eyes her mother said her goodbyes and her father pulled her into a hug.

Secrée smiled happily, her milky hues closing as she closed up her backback. Surprised as her gloved hand was grabbed and guided to Apep's head. Her eyes staying closed as she gently rubbed her finger tips along the tamed snake's head. A calm expression across her face. "Such a lovely companion. You are very lucky." She spoke quietly. Feeling Apep turn and return to Alexis' shoulders.

"Thank you very much, good luck and safe travels on your journey you two." She smiled as she heard them turn and make their way from the building. Sitting back down she turned towards Jeremy. Deciding that it would be smart to rest her feet just a bit longer.

"Jeremy was it? Do you find my appearance disturbing?" She asked, wondering how the kind natured man would reply. Her short yet plump form sat completely still. Tears in her gown slowly forming, looking much like chemical burns if one observant enough.

Jeremy Greene - Peseo Waterfront

"Oh, aw, geez..." Jeremy was taken a bit aback by the question. He wasn't sure on how to answer, exactly. "I'm not too good at this personal stuff..." He paused again, looking for the right words. "How do I put this... I mean, between the white hair, and the burn scars, it's unnerving at first glance, I'm not going to lie." He sounded hesitant and uncertain. Jeremy didn't wan't to upset the woman, but she would probably be able to pick out a lie pretty easily. He was never good at lying anyway.

"When I look at your unfocused, pale eyes, it's a bit difficult to make eye contact. I'm used to seeing normal eyes looking back at me, ya know? That natural warning your body gives you, when you see a sick person, or a injured guy, it kicks in, and makes you want to avoid it. Human nature, I suppose." He leaned down against the bar, and twiddled his bony fingers.

"Ah, I'm making a muck of this." He muttered. "You could call it disturbing, I guess. It certainly doesn't help with first impressions. For me though, and for most people, I think, it's just a matter of time. You see the same thing enough, you get used to it, and stop seeing it all together. If you stayed around the same people more, and, from your trading, I'm guessing you don't, you'd probably find that people would warm up."

Jeremy sighed. "I don't know. You're a nice gal, I can see that, and I got nothing against you, but it's still a bit weird. Sorry."

Secrée smiled a knowing smile, closing her scarred eyes as she listened to him stumble over his words desperate not to be rude. Listening to Jeremy ramble gave her a sense of pity for the poor man. So friendly yet unable to be bluntly honest. Running her gloved hand through her hair in thought.

"It is human nature, to avoid what you can not understand. What is not pleasing to the eye." She paused for a moment, "When I was young I did the same, I avoided the ugly. Of course I soon learned it was I who had the shorter end of the stick." She shrugged at his apology. "I find no offense at being described or thought of as disturbing. To put it simply I am grateful for it."

Folding her gloved hands for just a moment before picking up her fork. Feeling it between her digits. "I would not wish anyone to truly know me. That would only bring harm. I would not wish that on my worst enemy." Taking off one of her gloves her hand was that of a worker tough and oily. Taking the fork in her ungloved hand she rubbed her thumb against the cheap metal.

A soft hissing noise came from the fork as it slowly bent and the portion she massaged, dissolved slowly. Putting the fork down she put on her glove again. Grabbing a copper coin and putting it on the counter. "It is smart for people to avoid me. To befriend me... I would not let it happen." She offered a confident yet solemn smile to Jeremy. Keeping her eyes closed the entire time.

Jeremy Greene - Peseo Waterfront

Jeremy wrinkled his nose at the acrid smell of the slowly vanishing metal. He was relieved, at least, that she didn't seem to take offense from it. "Look, Secrée, there's worse things out there than a lady that sweats acid. Something simple like that is no reason to hide from people." He said with a disapproving frown. "You're a bit dangerous. Doesn't mean you shouldn't give people the opportunity to know you."

"Unless the act of befriending you would physically bring people harm, then I don't see why your mutation should stop you." Jeremy resumed working on other tasks about the restaurant. He found it difficult to sit still and do one thing for too long. Turning off the radio, he began to work with it again, installing more of the parts Dust brought with him. The backlight faded and the music burped out. He continued working as he spoke.

"If it's emotional baggage that you don't want people to see, than its not too bad either. However traumatic it may be right now, it'll get better. You'll be able to talk about it, when the time comes. Few people want to carry their stories to the grave. And sooner or later," he added, "you'll make friends, you'll talk about your past, whatever it may be."

Jeremy spoke plainly, and without his former hesitation. Enough people had come to him to share their stories over the years, finding him the friendly face in town, the one to talk to when they had something to confess. His father had the role previously, and between the two of them, they could probably turn the town into a war zone by spreading gossip and secrets.

"You gotta make a few friends. Your mutation isn't what's holding you back."

On the trip back to Peseo Alexis managed to run into some trouble on the way back. She had been aware that something was following her from the way Apep had coiled tightly and hissed behind her. Alexis ducked right as a Sangonera swooped down on her. The fight had lasted for a while, but Apep had managed to latch into the creature and sink his fangs into its neck. The distraction had allowed Alexis to use her powers on the bloodsucker. After the rotting body of the Sangonera stopped moving Apep slithered off of its carcass and up Alexis' body.

Alexis sighed and ran a hand through her hair and sighed. How was she supposed to to take a picture like this? She would have to fresh up again. When she finally reached Peseo Alexis had bought some simple clothes and headed to a bath to. After she was done she headed to the guild house for her photo.

She listened to him work, her white hues blankly staring straight ahead as she put some thought into his words. "You are probably right in some ways however... " she paused for a couple seconds. Looking down to feel her long white hair fall and brush along her features. "Mistakes happen too often, and to hurt someone whom I consider a friend.. I'd rather not live through that again. So I shall be one of the few who carry their stories to the grave. You can hold me to it. Say 100 silver coin I am willing to bet on this. " she chuckles before shaking her head.

Standing up she reached down to pick up her large bag. Lifting the bag onto her shoulders and adjusting her worn clothes to get comfortable. "Thank you very much for the meal. And the chat. Have a pleasant day Jeremy." She waved in his direction before turning to slowly make her way towards the door. Accidentally bumping into a man sitting down she kept her gaze down. Apologizing betore continuing cautiously through the room.

Back