The Vampire's Apprentice

"It's good to be walking. Just... don't tell Mum, okay?" He grinned and gave her a wink before hobbling to the door. "Come see me later?"

"What?" She asked Sam, closing the door. "You heard me. We have to finish cleaning, then I'm making cookies." Kitty started towards where she had been cleaning before the interruption. "I might even make some for you this time."

A while later, there would be a dog full of cookies in the house, a container of said cookies on Mrs. P's porch, and a small knock on the Mooney's door.

Mrs. Mooney answered the door, still wearing her work attire. "Oh. Kitty. Hello. I just got home from work. Are you alright?" Her eyes flicked over Kitty's body.

"Yes, yes, I'm fine. Just a bit of redecorating gone wrong is all." Kitty offered the cookies. "Nobody was too badly injured..." that I know of. "Sorry of we worried you."

"Good, good," Mrs. Mooney nodded, but there was still a reservation in her eyes. She'd spent years hiding the pain. Thus, she could spot when someone else wasn't fully telling the truth. Still, she also knew better than to push too hard. "Thank you for the cookies. The kids all love them." She accepted the container with a smile. "Just remember... if anyone does get hurt, you have a place here."

"Alright. Just be careful. I've seen you out walking around after dark sometimes, and it's not safe, at least not right now. There were three murders last night, two of them down town, and one just on the edge of town. The police have no leads. They don't even know who one of the men is."

"Sure, come on in." She stepped out of the way and gestured with the container of cookies. "Go on and head back there. I need to get changed, so I'll leave you to it."

Norville was in his room in a chair near the window, balancing a book in one hand cautiously with his leg propped up on a chair. He looked up and grinned. "Hey! It's the Kitty Cat!"

"Yep!" She replied."It's me again! No applesauce here, though." Kitty shrugged apologetically. "Your mum has the cookies."

"That's okay." He hunted around for his bookmark and finally came up with a clean tissue. He folded it and stuck it in the book. "You know, when I said to come see me later, I was thinking like tomorrow or something. Not that I'm complaining, you're cool to hang with."

"Cool." His smile faded, and he shifted, looking slightly troubled. "Um. Can I ask you a question? I've been thinking about something you said..."

Back