The Vampire's Apprentice

"It's a weird setting with some interesting characters, and it's some cool ideas, but I'm not sure of it yet. It's kind of dark." His face split into a grin and he chuckled. "Which is a joke, because the setting is deep, deep underground caverns with no light source whatsoever."

"Oh, I have! A long time ago. I saw the movie first and got curious about the book. I read the first and the second one. I liked the first one, but I didn't like the second much at all." He shrugged. "Anyway, this one," he held up his book, "is kind of like that, but in a fantasy setting. I didn't know it when I picked it up, but it's a Dungeons and Dragon's setting. You know that game?"

Kitty nodded. "Oh, yes, I do. Never played it, but I do enjoy all the lore and such that goes into the world. Leaves room for the imagination to wander a bit, doesn't it?"

Norville nodded. "Same to all that." Then he smirked. "Did you know the D&D company totally got sued by the Tolkien estate?"

Norville nodded. "The one and the same. Turns out, they flat out stole one of his characters. An entire race, actually. Halflings. Things like Elves and dwarves, as long as they are not an exact copy of Tolkien elves and dwarves, those are public domain, but hobbits are a product of Mr. Tolkien's very own mind and are copyrighted. D&D flat out copied them. Got pretty close with the Elves, too, and a few other things, but primarily the hobbits."

"I looked it up," he shrugged. Then he snorted softly. "Wanna know what they did? They changed all 'hobbits' to 'halflings.' Which is just a nickname for hobbits, but I guess the estate was satisfied and let it go. Pretty cheap, if you ask me, but people eat it up." He shrugged. "At least Elves are kind of cool."

"I like elves. Elves... and other... 'fictional' things." Kitty chuckled. "Last I heard of elves, though, they were pretty stuck up. Then again, I've never met one...." She put her hands up in I-don't-know. "Who's to say what they might be like?"

"Wait," Norville looked at her in surprise. "You mean Elves are- Oh, never mind." He chuckled. "Why do I ask? I thought they'd be different than Vampires, but I guess anything is game."

"I haven't heard of anything troll-related yet, so I'd say we're safe from becoming stew." She nodded solemnly. "Still, though, the fact that they're a part our imagination makes me wonder where the idea came from in the first place.... I wouldn't be surprised if... you know."

Norville laughed at the troll thing. "I dunno. Some stories are old, like insanely old. Maybe it's existed for longer than we want to accept. Or maybe aliens. Or curses, or maybe like toxins or viruses. It depends on the case."

"Could be anything. Makes me wonder.... A lot of wonderings...." Kitty sighed, thinking, then brightened a little bit at an idea. "Hey, you wanna work on a project with me? I've started making a book... about 'fictional' things...."

"Well, yeah. Why else would I be asking?" She nodded as if it should have been obvious. "You seem to know a lot about the lore of, like, elves and such. The media stuff, and I've got the alternate facts. At least, I know how to get them." Kitty grinned. "It'll be fun."

He slowly smiled as he thought more about the project. That could be pretty neat... Like... You want to have a comparison book? 'This is what the media thinks, this is what it is,' type of deal?"

"Yeah, exactly." She nodded again. "Only, if anyone asks, it's just our spin on fiction. Wouldn't make sense if it were real, now, would it?"

Back