The Vampire's Apprentice

She laughed. "Pretty much."
Kitty then stood. "I'm gonna go get the book. Even if we don't do anything with it now, I've been itching to let someone else see it."

"Yeah, of course!" Kitty grinned and went to fetch it. She returned a handful of minutes later, brown-covered book tucked under her arm, a pencil behind her ear, and notepad in hand. The book she set on his bed and brushed her palm over it. "It looks bigger than what I've added to it so far, unfortunately."

"That's okay. You still have a lot of time." He carefully opened the book and looked through the first pages. "Is this just about vampires so far?"

"Mostly...." The wide pages contained organized notes quite like someone would find in a guide book.

Species: Vampire
Dietary notes: Sanguinivore (feeds on blood.) Can taste other things, but needs blood to survive. (More on page 2.)
Common attributes: Physical - Pale skin, fangs (see page 2), glint in eyes (page 3)
Other - Immense strength, speed, hypnotic abilities, stealth
Basic myths: Lack of reflection (they have reflections), violence and hatred (see "personality" on page 4), coffins, earth of homeland (see page 6 for "sleep habits"), causing plagues (also see page 4), once-bitten turning, counting pebbles
Alternative myths: Added
abilities (see "superpowers" page 5)
Weakness myths: Holy water and other religious items
Alternative myths: Garlic, wooden stakes(?), silver
Identification: You likely wouldn't know a vampire was among present company unless he or she outright told you. They're very good at hiding their identities, so much to the point that they carry on jobs like any other normal person....

It went on this way for several pages. There were notes on everything she'd discovered so far, ranging from their ability to live like any other night-owl human, to their skill and strength, to that deathly allergy to sunlight and what ( she had been told) happens upon death. Starting on page 12, there was a partially-complete section on familiars, and, she told Norville, there were other notes on Lycans she had jotted down, which she intended to add in later.

Last edited:
Norville examined each page with great care. In fact, he took several minutes to get through a single page. He was, evidentally, an incredibly slow reader. He asked a few questions here and there, absolutely delighted and not paying attention to the time.

For one usually so diligent, Kitty paid no attention to the slowly setting sun, having quite a bit of fun with Norville and the book. Despite being someone considered to be slow, he asked many brain-wracking questions, and she loved it. She wrote down most of them to ask Clancy later.

Suddenly, Mrs. Mooney appeared in the doorway. "Kitty? Clancy is at the door, and he seems worried," she stated with a frown.

She paused mid-explanation and looked towards the doorway where Mrs. Mooney stood. There was suddenly the typical dread of accidentally doing something wrong, but she tried not to let it show on her expression. Kitty gathered the book and her notepad, then hopped up.

Last edited:
"See you later," Norville called after her.
Clancy stood on the porch waiting, a grim look on his face while he waited for Kitty, his arms crossed.

She gave a small wave in reply to Norville. What awaited her on the porch was not something she felt particularly pleased to see. Whether it was out of regret or due to fear, she wasn't certain, but guilt was certainly present in her actions and she wished it was not.

"Ah, Kitty," Clancy said, his tone calm and smooth. "I am glad you are here. Are you prepared to return home?" There was a certain crimp to his lips and a strange glint in his eye.

Clancy smiled and gave Mrs. Mooney a slight bow. "It was good to see you again. I have not forgotten out agreement and look forward to seeing you in the future."
She flushed slightly then smiled. "Thank you, I, uh, yes. Good night."
Clancy turned and walked back toward his own house.

She trailed after him in silence, arms wrapped firmly around the book tucked close to her chest. There were too many things to wonder about, though most of those thoughts were silenced as she followed him back inside. Was he mad? She couldn't tell.

Clancy waited until they were both inside and the door closed. "I did not know where you were," he said, his words clipped. "I rose, and you were nowhere to be found. Why is it you did not leave a note?"

"I didn't expect it to be after dark when I returned." Kitty answered cautiously. "It wasn't near dark when I went over there."

Back