The Vampire's Apprentice

Clancy's lips thinned slightly then relaxed again. "In the future, even if you expect to be back on time, leave a note," he said, turning away and walking to the living room. "I had concerns that something had happened or you were taken."

Clancy glanced back at her then relaxed a little more. He reached out and patted her shoulder. "You are safe. That is what matters. No more needs to be said on the subject."

Kitty examined his expression for a moment, then nodded. "Norville and I thought up a whole bunch of questions while I was there. Do you feel like answering some?"

"I need a moment, then, yes, I can answer questions," he agreed. He walked into his bedroom and took a moment to force himself to breathe and change shirts. When he'd realized Kitty was gone without Sam, panic had seized him. Visions of vengeful werewolves had dashed through his mind while he turned the house upside down, and if he hadn't thought to check the Mooney place first, he would have gone hunting.

He came out of the bedroom, straightening his tie, calm and collected like nothing had happened. "Now... what is it you wish to ask?"

Kitty took the opportunity to place the book upstairs on her nightstand, then returned with her notepad to wait on a kitchen chair, oblivious to how badly she had caused him to panic. "Do I have to pick three of them?" she asked.

Kitty nodded, considering this to be fair. "First of six, is it true that a vampire only enter a home if given permission?"

"Completely false, although quite funny," Clancy said with a little wave of his hand. "I would not be surprised if a vampire came up with that one and spread it around to give humans a false sense of security."

"Much better. Yes, I can cross running water with no more or less trouble than anyone else." He paused to think about that. "Possibly less trouble."

Kitty chewed on her lip for a moment, only mildly annoyed at having to ask three separate times. She made sure to phrase her next question correctly.

"Does getting staked really kill you?"

"I really should not be exposing vampiric weaknesses, but yes. A stake through the heart will kill a vampire," Clancy nodded.

"I generally try not to ask," she replied. "If I took this pencil and poked you with it," Kitty jabbed gently at his arm, "would that be bad?"

Back