Unpopular opinions!

I have a lot of unpopular opinions so I guess I'll have to bullet point them to prevent too many run-on sentences. Also sorry if this makes me sound pompous and negative, I'm usually a very positive and happy person.
  • I dislike Adventure Time, Steven Universe, and Regular Show. For Regular Show the characters just aggravated me too much to like it, for Adventure Time the animation is beautiful but the show didn't really seem like me, and for Steven Universe the same reasoning for Adventure Time applies here but I also feel like the fanbase is rabid and treats the show like gold when I personally found it okay.
  • I dislike the movie Grease. The premise is so stupid, it's literally just 1950's High School Musical made in the 1970's.
  • I dislike the song "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" by Cyndi Lauper. I am sorry '80's music fans but the song just sounds very teeny bopper.
  • I dislike Melanie Martinez. There's nothing wrong with liking her but I don't see the appeal to be honest.
  • Space Jam is not that bad. This may be a shocker to a lot of people but apparently critics hate Space Jam. Well I disagree with them by saying that Space Jam is an enjoyable movie.
  • I dislike the concept of shipping. I could go on about this but I really don't want to, this reply is already long enough as is.
Alright well those were some of my unpopular opinions and hopefully the next time I make a reply it will be a more positive sounding one.

These. Especially your first point, holy shit, they're written and animated like the 9 yr old Lets Players all got off their Ritalin and begged their parents to buy them animation programs they never really learned how to use.
Can I throw in there the atrocious bullshit shows Uncle Grandpa, The Mediocre Adventures of Gumball and Gravity Falls?

These. Especially your first point, holy shit, they're written and animated like the 9 yr old Lets Players all got off their Ritalin and begged their parents to buy them animation programs they never really learned how to use.
Can I throw in there the atrocious bullshit shows Uncle Grandpa, The Mediocre Adventures of Gumball and Gravity Falls?
I just know I am going to lose all my respect with this statement, but some of the japanese cartoons/animes are just as poorly done, if not worse. I used to be an avid weaboo, but I don't see how the western art styles are bad. Are some of the plots awful or incoherent? Yes, many things suffer that. The art isn't bad, however.

I am a big fan of highly detailed/hyperrealistic art, but cartoons are good. Tell me, what is the difference between having a western cartoon showing a cheaply drawn character like this:
gravity-falls-160239.jpg
vs an "anime" character that looks like this:
fxrSe.jpg

Not saying that anime is a waste of time, or a bad art style, but why would you shit on western animation? Feel free to tell me why, I am not really a closed minded person.

By the way, I personally loathe Clarence, Teen Titans Go, and some of the other newer cartoons that are just pointless and cringey. The original Teen Titans was good, however.

Y'all are not supposed to pick fights in the unpopular opinions thread, y'know that eh'?

A person can express distaste for a particular aesthetic style without entirely invalidating its use. I personally dislike the look of most older anime, and I think most modern CGI looks absolutely atrocious. At the same time, though, I can look at this and say "yeah, that looks fine to me." Because I grew up with that, so, I can more easily overlook some of its short comings visually. I enjoy the general 50's retro sci-fi setting in general and can overlook other things that might otherwise irritate me about the visual style as a result.

The flaws that we look past in the things we grew up with will generally outweigh the value of shows of similar quality.

Now, to address the writing point.

Add onto that the fact that things change. The aesops and designs and ideals of cartoons that I was exposed to growing up have largely been replaced or put alongside newer ideas of morally appropriate children's television. LGBT characters and relationships, for example. That stuff used to basically not get brought up or talked about at all back in the 90's, and when it was, it was generally a big deal, or done very subtly so as to slip past the censors. Nowadays it's a major issue that has been thrust into the forefront of political discourse, and, like it or not, that means that the conversation is going to appear in children's cartoons. If you think adult political conversation topics aren't reflected or shouldn't be reflected in children's shows, you must then also agree that GI Joe and Captain Planet are the worst things ever... Because that's literally all they were.

Personally, I don't care for the writing of most modern cartoons. They're generally overrated, blunt, and hammer you over the head with their moral-of-the-day, because... They're written for children. Simultaneously, I love the shit out of Rick and Morty, but, that's because it's specifically written and drawn in a way that appeals the inner cynic and adult in me. I know people that just can't get into it because they find the aesthetic of the show to be so bad that it hurts their fucking eyes, and that's a fair criticism. I don't agree, but then what I'm looking for differs from what someone else is looking for.

At the end of the day, all that matters is you watch what you enjoy. If you dislike a show because its writing annoys you or its pacing annoys you or its visual style annoys you, that's okay. If you enjoy a different show for any of those reasons, that's also okay. There's nothing objectively better or worse about any of them.

Except, y'know, this. That's cancer, and you're cancer if you like it. Fight me IRL.

Uncle Grandpa: yes, Gravity Falls: no, I love that show but to each their own I guess, Gumball: Eh I don't care, this show is neutral for me. More of a guilty pleasure when there's nothing else on.

I just know I am going to lose all my respect with this statement, but some of the japanese cartoons/animes are just as poorly done, if not worse. I used to be an avid weaboo, but I don't see how the western art styles are bad. Are some of the plots awful or incoherent? Yes, many things suffer that. The art isn't bad, however.

I am a big fan of highly detailed/hyperrealistic art, but cartoons are good. Tell me, what is the difference between having a western cartoon showing a cheaply drawn character like this:
gravity-falls-160239.jpg
vs an "anime" character that looks like this:
fxrSe.jpg

Not saying that anime is a waste of time, or a bad art style, but why would you shit on western animation? Feel free to tell me why, I am not really a closed minded person.

By the way, I personally loathe Clarence, Teen Titans Go, and some of the other newer cartoons that are just pointless and cringey. The original Teen Titans was good, however.

I... Never once said I liked anime, or said it was superior. It's objectively inferior as a medium considering how much trash floods the market and how so much of it is lost in translation, failed to be localized properly and a lot of the comedy is topical for a culture we don't live in. There are gems. I could name some, but I'll leave that train of thought at this: Shonen is cancer.

An art style can be horrible and graphical detail, pixels and patterns can't save it. On graphics, The first has family guy syndrome and a lack of detail in animation. There's no texture on characters, just background. Shouldn't the thing that's your focus be the most detailed? It's jarring to look at. The voices are poorly chosen for the ages of the characters or downright grating. Bit characters (Minotaurs) were voiced more appropriately than the main cast. Comedy is forced and memelord levels of random. Fist nipples? As 500k an episode is about average for the industry, for this kind of work, it feels like a lot of it went nowhere but the backgrounds which are the only thing I can find redeemable about the show.
The second pic in your example was a basic attempt in an already oversaturated market with lower standards a significantly longer time ago. Apples and oranges.

I agree with your last line wholeheartedly though, and that's kind of my point. It seems like the industry is making tiny little baby steps and no innovation outside of new animation styles, and just shit this trite at a wall to see what sticks. It lacks a heart compared to previous works.

I don't like 'shipping', but am willing to discuss an obvious possible relationship hook.

When possible I will use pronouns based on a person's biological sex, not their gender identity. In the rare cases when there is a genetic defect, I will relent to their preference.

Gender in and of itself is absurd.

Medicine is still a man's world.

Transformers are asexual.

I don't like fan-fiction, but will role-play in fandom based themes.

The echidna is cooler than the platypus.

"You smelt it, you dealt it" is not a valid argument.

Free speech does not mean freedom from consequences.

Vulgarity is not a substitute for wit.

Love may not be a prerequisite for marriage, but I think that respect *IS*.

I myself am a fan of unpopular opinions and if you have cliked on this, you probably are too! Or you just want to rant about being offended.

This thread is NOT meant to make fun of other peoples opinions, lifestyle, or whatever, so stay nice to each other.

I will start to make people like me less:

-I don't like weeaboos and otakus, I was one myself once and since I got out of that phase I really can't stand all that "nyaa" and "senpai" anymore.

-I don't think animals are worth more than humans or are any better than us, I read stuff like this on a daily basis, from animals activists who claim humans would be "poison" or a "plague" and that all humans should die... that really grinds my gears, of course there are cruel humans, but not even the majority is bad, in fact it makes you more heartless than some cruel people to wish some innocent children death for the sake of an animals.

Now it's your turn! Show me what you got!
*Jumping up and down* Woo-hoo! I'd give this a thousand likes if I could!
Otaku really annoy me, (I never call them 'weeaboos' because that's just a 4chan made-up term those otaku use to point at other otaku and make themselves seem less annoying. It doesn't work. I hate 4chan.
Otaku turn any discussion they are in, to anime related. Even classical music videos on Youtube get inundated with "I came here from (some anime)" and "So did I!" and where there's one or two posts like that, there are soon scads, complete with all their kawaii and JapanEnglish - Englapanese. something like that.
I used to run a forum that had nothing to do with anime. Some otaku got on it and didn't post anything without inserting anime in somewhere. And when the profile picture stuff got going, where they were changing and back-patting each other about those, oh gosh, I didn't even recognize my own discussion forum. Gah it was annoying and embarrassing. And they didn't take it well when I finally kicked them out after my warnings kept getting ignored.
I'm all the way with you on animal rights, too. They see abuse where none exists. No kidding, I've seen perfectly good pet videos on Youtube, where the animals are not suffering, but the animal rights people come along and call the videographer cruel for some ridiculous reason. They have ruined pet communities for me too. The vicious arguments over which diet is best, whether or not to have an indoor or outdoor cat, house bunny or outdoor rabbit, and of course, there's always those sickening chain letter posts (they call them "action alerts') with some animal abuse story that might or might not even be true.
Back to otaku, my first exposure to that craze was definitely unimpressive, and I never got into anime in the first place, so just don't get the appeal. I mean, to each... But the otaku need to realize that and stop getting so offended when they drive people up the wall with their addiction/obsession.
I like fanbases, not fandoms. There is a difference. Fandoms are the fanatic side of the fanbase. So I belong to fanbases, not fandoms.
And this is a bit of opposites. I really dislike both political correctness, and the other extreme, the people who think they are opposing it but in actuality are just tossing decency right out the window in order to be shocking or edgy, because their aim is more to get a rise out of SJW than to oppose them with intelligence and class. I include animal rights fanatics in as a class of SJW.
Bronies and anti-bronies. Same thing there. Nothing at all against the MLP of the 80s and the non-brony side of things. The show and the toys never appealed to me, though I have to admit I - actually - uh *ahem* kind of *twitch* like the theme music. But when searching for writing/rpg stuff back in around 2012, MLP kept coming up fast and furious, like Gundam Wing did in the late 90s, then HP, then Twilight. My reaction was 'WTH? *cringe*' because considering what shippers had done to HP, and Gundam etc. before that, I had a sneaking feeling this stuff was being done to MLP. Ugh!
And don't get me started on anti-bronies. It's fine to vent about annoying fandoms, but the things anti-bronies do are - well, *bites tongue* inexcusable.
Later, I found out the craze was a meme that originated on 4chan. Double ugh.
This brings us to another thing that annoys me.
Memes! AKA chain letters.
But, from those annoyances, I wrote a few stories and started a new genre that isn't recognized by anyone yet. First such writing was an anti-Lady Une fic. It isn't fan fiction, it's foefiction. I did it because the Lady Une worshipers who were my first experience with otaku disgusted me to no end with their cyber-bullying, stalking and harassing another otaku who admittedly wrote a big Mary Sue, and hated Lady Une. What I learned of Lady Une did nothing to make me like her, either.
Slender Man. Boy, do I have it out for that character, especially since it's a meme that actually creeped people out in real life. Especially after what happened in May 2014.
I come at creepy pasta with a very different approach from the vast majority of what I've seen so far. "You're not scaring me." *Wallop* Basically. Much foefiction in the works.

Peanut butter really is disgusting.

Also, I do hate Star Wars. Slept through all the movies and haven't watched the Disney versions.

Also, unpopular opinion of mine, is that I hate all forms of hot drinks. Just yuck.
Lol! The song. Peanut butter. Star Wars. Hot drinks. I like them all.

I'm pretty sure there is no substantial proof you could ever come up with to deny the fact that 9/11 was a controlled demolition.

Also, I don't think fluoride is good to put in the water and even if it was I would want the choice to have it in my water or not. This is kind of what makes America "free" but at the same time not free.

Also, America is the greatest country in the world. It is because it is the most free, but also because the entire foundation of American freedom (Christianity, of course) is different than any other nation.

#ParisDeservedIt
Hashtag "ParisDeservedIt" What - the hell? BTW people who moan on about how they hate "religion" rub me the wrong way right off. Everybody is religious, whether they believe in a deity or not. What people are basically saying when they go "Religion is (insert something negative)" or "I hate religion" is "Christianity sucks". I don't go for ps that involve diety worship beyond the observation of this character is Jewish, that one is Christian, so might attend some ceremony to do with that, but mentioned only in passing. Politics should stop screwing around with religion and I don't mean just Christianity.

I don't like the candy 'Reese's'. I mean, I just find it kinda gross. Not that into peanut butter. I like Reese's Puffs and Reese's Pieces, but the chocolate bar itself, not so much.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I don't like Reece's Pieces. Bite-sized candy my foot. Too much sweet, flavourless hard candy shell, not enough of the good stuff.

I didn't mind water mechanics in MH3, I think the way people worship celebrities is weird. Mario's weird. I hate those distorted vocals in techno songs.

My unpopular opinion: Feminism has become a joke. Although I believe in gender equality, I don't want to label myself as a feminist in case people think I'm a screeching SJW who cries 'harassment' if a guy holds open a door for me out of politeness.

A less heavy unpopular opinion: Puns are a valid source of comedy, and do not deserve the amount of eye-rolls they recieve.

I feel like my most unpopular opinion comes from my movie choice, or rather the movies I choose to dislike.

I don't like the majority of Quentin Tarantino movies. Pulp Fictions, Kill Bill 1 & 2, the Grindhouse movies.... the only exception to these are Reservoir Dogs and True Romance. While I will admit that his dialogue is top notch, everything else in his movies from pacing, plot and action scenes just aren't my style.

Here's a short list of some of the other popular movies that I just don't like: Requiem for a Dream, Up, Blade Runner, Goodfellas, Scarface.

And I don't know what people think about Seinfeld... but I hate it. The people I live with practically marathon the show 24/7 and can't believe that I don't like the show. I can't see why they see anything good in it. Curb Your Enthusiasm is definitely better, even if I despise the main character.

Feminism has become a joke.

I really feel like this needs to be stressed more. As a woman who lives and has lived her whole life in a third-world-- err, developing country, but is regularly exposed to media from first-world countries, mainly western, reading about SJWs complaining about trivial things and making them out to be huge issues is just absolutely ridiculous. Especially because this is coming from women who live in developed countries with laws that protect them, freedom of speech, basic humans rights even, things that not all women around the world get to have. Of course, this is just my unpopular opinion, and it may come off as me just hating, being condescending, etc. but:

I think that SJWs are just people who don't have a concrete grip on reality. They are probably well-meaning. They hear about a movement like feminism, and it's a noble movement, something they want to support. However, most of the real problems feminism deals with are things that they rarely ever have any exposure to. They want to feel like in the front lines of this movement, but at the same time they don't really want to leave their comfort zones (i.e. the internet). So they redefine what the "front lines" are. Suddenly certain words, expectations, hell even the way someone sits is a breach of their rights. Suddenly, what is a safe, relatively harmless zone is treated like a battleground. These women are comparable to children in the backyard with plastic guns, playing as soldiers at war... Except, it's gotten so much more toxic than that.

What really pisses me off about this new joke that they call feminism is that they've gotten so loud, they're drowning out the voices of those who really need to be heard. Personally, I'm a pretty damn privileged person, so I don't think I have the right to speak for those who need the feminism movement. But it sure is my responsibility to boost their voices and spread their messages. Ugh, rant over.

On a lighter note, I think Times New Roman is a beautiful font. (Not really sure if this is unpopular around here, but where I'm from people hate it...)

Back