1x1 Winds of Insurrection

Ryuji sighed, figuring that was the best he was gonna get for now. Leading her out of the cave and to the right tunnel, within was a stairwell leading up or down. "We're going up," he said. The stairs didn't take to long to climb, and eventually a darkness took over again for a few moments, leaving the pair back in the garden once it all cleared up.

Now back in his regular clothes, Ryuji looked around, making sure the coast was clear. "Okay. So...I'll try to be quick." He raised his hands in front of him, palms facing each other but not touching. "So like...imagine you got a mirror. One side is you, and the other's your reflection, right? Well imagine if your reflection lived in a world of its own, just like ours? That's called the Metaverse. It's where everyone's, uh, subconsciouses live? And it's shaped by how people see and feel about this world we're in now."

He pulled out his phone now, tinkering with it. "People in this world don't know about the Metaverse, and people in there don't know about us. But everyone has a Shadow in the Metaverse, who, like, manifests their true desires...or something like that." He lifted his phone up, pointing to a little red-and-black icon. "See that? That's how I can travel from here and there, and back. You got sucked in because you got too close to me." He put his phone away. "See, what I was doing in there was--"

"Ryuji! Kassandra!" From up above, Revali flew down. "Where were you two? Our burglar escaped yet again!"

"Oh! Uh...see, I heard a window crash, right? So I went outside to chase the bandit, and then I, uh...lost 'em."

"...uh-huh." Revali looked from Ryuji to Kassandra. "Is that right? Or was he just slacking off as children are prone to do?"

@Jeremi

Kassandra tried to absorb everything that Ryuji was telling her. The Metaverse...Shadows...whatever that thing was that he was holding in his hand. Before she could ask him what any of it meant they were interrupted by Revali.

"The boy speaks the truth," She replied to the birdman. "I heard a noise as well and came to investigate but the bandit eluded my grasp as well."

@Yun Lee

Ryuji visibly relaxed as Revali seemed to be appeased. ""Well, either way, it is as I said. Our bandit slipped away, and it appears they left their mark on the lord of this estate. Walhart would like for us to meet him back at the palace for a debriefing."

It was a short walk back to the palace, one where everyone was in close quarters so there was no real chance to talk to anyone, even Dorothea. But once the group arrived back in the throne room, that silence became downright uncomfortable.

"I think we should start by clarifying what happened," the emperor said. "From what I understand, a window on the second floor broke, is that correct?"

"Yes, on the left side near the garden," Dorothea replied. "I went to investigate as I heard it."

"So did I!" Ryuji said. "I was on the first floor, so I ran out to see if I could spot anyone. Me and Kassandra both ran after someone we saw."

"So that's why I couldn't find you..." Dorothea looked to the eagle-bearer. "Did either of you see anything?"

@Jeremi

"I'm afraid not," Kassandra replied in a solemn tone. "I was ready to make chase but even Ikaro didn't seem to know where they went...perhaps this bandit is using some sort of tunnels bellow ground? I'm not familiar enough with the city to know if that's possible."

@Yun Lee

"Below ground tunnels?" Walhart shook his head. "No such thing exists here, as far as I know. Perhaps there is dark magic being used? I know of teleportation spells and other such devices...and gods only know otherworldly arsenals they possess." He looked to the others. "What about the rest of you? Did you observe anything?"

"I was on the second floor, but I didn't see anyone," Balrog said. "You ask me, that was just a distraction!"

"...it was..." All eyes turned to Lucy. "...I was on the third floor...and saw the thief as they were leaving...they moved so quickly..."

"And did you see anything distinct about them?"

"...they were blonde..."

Ryuji seemed to get a shade paler. Walhart looked to Revali. "You took to the skies, yes? Did you see anything?"

"Unfortunately, no. There was a sudden gale in the sky only a few minutes after that window shattered. Though I recovered quickly, there was a bit of precious time lost."

Walhart sighed. "So...a blonde thief who broke a window on the second floor, arrived and left on the third...and a mysterious second figure caused two of our own to give chase. These are not the results I had hoped for, but they at least give us a sense of direction for the next incident. You are all free to stay here in the palace tonight. When our burglar strikes again we will mobilize as before. Until then, you are all dismissed. When you are ready to retire, servants will lead you to your rooms."

@Jeremi

Well, that could prove to be a problem but, Kassandra was getting paid either way, though hiding information was probably frowned upon. She was ready to get some rest though. Ryuji would have to wait until tomorrow.

Making her way towards Dorothea she'd flash her a smile. "I know you're not a servant, but I was wondering if you'd be willing to show me where I could rest."

@Yun Lee

Last edited:
Upon seeing Kassandra head towards Dorothea Ryuji at least had enough sense to make himself as scarce as possible. Dorothea, though, was quite happy to see Kassandra. "Considering our time this evening was tragically cut short, I would love to." She started guiding Kassandra to the rooms in question. "There's a wing of this palace reserved for visiting guests, and they're quite lovely. I'm staying there, myself...and with any luck no one's laid claim to the room next to mine."

@Jeremi

"Well if someone has...I might have to have a word with them. Though..." Kassandra looked around to see if no one was listening in. "I have something I must speak to you about. Privately."

@Yun Lee

Dorothea raised her eyebrows, but said nothing until they got to her room which luckily did have a spare one free to their left. As she said, it was a beautiful room, with regal furniture and a large canopy bed with red silk sheets. There was also a gorgeous landscape painting hanging on the wall, as well as a little music box on the vanity. "Go ahead and put your belongings where you'd like," Dorothea said, moving to the music box. "We can talk in just a few minutes."

@Jeremi

Kassandra kind of just looked around. "I don't...really have anything. Other than..." She placed her weapons to the side of the bed, though she seemed to keep the broken spear on her. With that she sat down on the bed waiting for Dorothea to finish.

@Yun Lee

Dorothea hummed to herself, twisting the little key on the back of the music box. "Gifts from the Mittlefrank Opera," she said. "Turn it clockwise and you'll hear an aria from our opera about Seiros. Turn it counterclockwise though, and...!" The little key popped right out of the box. Dorothea then moved to the painting, where she moved a carved rose on the bottom of the frame to the left, revealing the tiniest of keyholes. Inserting the key in, she lifted up the entire painting on hinges, revealing a small room behind.

Smiling contentedly, she turned back to Kassandra. "In case you'd like a little extra privacy. Hubie-er, Minister Vestra had gotten right to work creating all these little secrets throughout the palace. We'll be able to get out through the other side with no problems."

@Jeremi

Well, couldn't get much more secret than that. "Please, after you." With both of them in the secret room Kassandra finally felt safe enough to speak. "Listen, I didn't want to keep any secrets and I believe I can trust you so...here goes."

She tried her best to recollect what had happened since they split up and the revelation of Ryuji being a bandit and what had happened when they had defeated the skull-faced rider up until Revali's arrival, the best she could about the Metaverse... "The reason I didn't say anything to Walhart is that I want to know all the details. The man that the skull-faced rider turned into after his defeat seemed repentant of his actions. Perhaps there is something more to it? What do you think?"

@Yun Lee

Dorothea certainly looked incredulous at everything Kassandra told her. "I really can't say I'm surprised Ryuji would be the one hiding something...usually in an opera if you want a good plot twist, you make it the most unassuming person in the room. Though he did run his mouth quite a bit at dinner. I suppose someone was going to figure out that little secret of his soon enough. Lucky for him it was you."

That said she furrowed her brow, trying to digest the other things. "A Metaverse? I can't say I've ever heard of such a thing here. I suppose it must be native to his own world. Though since we're alone..." She took a deep breath. "I suppose I can let you know what I really think about that 'psychological trauma' these nobles have been suffering. What's actually been happening is that these people are facing consequences for actions that they otherwise wouldn't have. The first noble stolen from was running a sham of a charity under the guise of reconstruction...and another had been taking advantage of tenants after The Melding displaced them from their homes. If what you're saying is true, then...I suppose Ryuji is able to influence his targets in some way? And if that's the case I can't fault him for that. So many of these nobles are getting away with more than they were able to since Edie is gone...and Walhart hasn't been nearly as helpful as..."

Dorothea trailed off then, realizing how tightly she'd been gripping her skirt and hoe impassioned her tone had become. "...Sorry about that." She smoothed the fabric, her tone lowering back down. "As you can see I have some...strong opinions about nobility."

@Jeremi

Kassandra nodded. "People with power who use that power recklessly should be dealt with. They should help the population and not themselves and what Ryuji is doing seems the most humane. He genuinely seemed like a changed man."

She then remembered something else. "The Rider did mention something else too...he said he would let the Emperor know that Ryuji wasn't working alone." She let it hang in the air for a moment before continuing. "How much do you actually know about Walhart and his arrival to Enbarr?"

@Yun Lee

Dorothea seemed relieved to hear that, "I'm glad you and I see eye-to-eye on that, at least." Though as Kassandra mentioned what the rider said, that gave her pause. "Is that right? Well...I suppose it must be the case, after all the two of you were in those tunnels while the actual burglary happened outside in the estate. And if Lucy saw someone on the third floor while Ryuji was on the first...having a partner in crime seems to be the most logical conclusion. Another blonde too, from the sound of it," Dorothea giggled. "I wonder if they're related."

And then there was the matter of Walhart. "I know just about as much as anyone. For the first week after The Melding, Enbarr was in upheaval while those terrible machines attacked. Then, from the northern forest, Walhart arrived. He singlehandedly wiped out a majority of those things with his axe. I actually saw him do it myself...it was incredible. I've no doubt we'll be hearing an opera about it in a few years...though I wish his diplomatic skills were as glamorous."

@Jeremi

"No offense to Ryuji, but he doesn't strike me as a master strategist," Kassandra nodded. "So a partner in crime seems possible, and another blond too..." Kassandra wasn't quite sure what to make of it just yet. As for Walhart.

"His physical skills do seem impressive, but perhaps his rise to the emperor had something going on that the population did not see, and if the supposed victims have all been part of the noble caste."

@Yun Lee

Dorothea was silent a moment. "Walhart, hm..." At last she snapped out of her thoughts. "Kass, do you think you could do me a favor tomorrow? I have no doubt Ryuji and his partner are going to lick their wounds for a bit before striking again. Can you try to get more information out of him? It sounds like he had more he was going to say before you were summoned back to the palace. Then tomorrow night you and I can talk it over some more. There has to be more going on than just a simple burglary spree..."

@Jeremi

"Of course, do you know what room he's in?" Kassandra was curious herself if Ryuji had more information to share, that wasn't that confusing. The misthios was very glad that she had met Dorothea. "Or perhaps...I'll wait until the morning. He seemed awfully...fidgety."

@Yun Lee

"I don't but I can find out and let you know in the morning, I think we could all use some rest." Dorothea smiled, finding a panel in the wall that opened a door into further passageways. "Goodnight Kass. And don't tell anyone about these little secrets, okay? I enjoy keeping a few things between us." Putting her index finger to her lips and winking, the songstress left Kassandra to her own devices for the evening.

@Jeremi

"Of course not, some secrets between friends are good, yes?" As Dorothea left however Kassandra remembered what she was going to do. Grabbing her pouch she'd look inside to find the ring still safe in place. It would have to wait until later. Exiting the secret room she'd get ready for bed. Kassandra didn't remember the last time if ever she had slept in a place as lavish as this but the first time for everything.

She took one last look out through the window to see Ikaros flying high and with her guardian safe, she went to bed, curious to see what the morning would bring.

@Yun Lee

Back