A Dance in the Moonlight

Irie nodded, still laying flat on his back. The heat seemed to radiate from his belly and spread through his limbs. It felt so good! For the first time in days... weeks? Maybe longer? He felt alive! He wanted to savor that feeling for as long as it lasted. Surely it could not last forever, so he must enjoy it while he could.

Finally, he sat up and folded his feet under himself. He eyed the agent - what had she said her name was? It started with an A - frankly. She was pretty enough, he supposed, without being some kind of model, and there was something calming and resolute in her jawline. A decent person. No, far more than decent. A decent person would not have brought a starving vampire food. That was another level altogether.

"Thank you," he said a bit awkwardly. "That was... kind."

Amara smiled faintly "I'd of helped sooner if I'd realized what was happening" she told him "the world is full of enough cruelty. I try not to add to it" she added and sighed softly " But we have a problem... I'm supposed to sell this house... I'm not sure what to do..I know it's your home but the banks taken it..."

Irie scowled and glanced at the window. "But I'm still alive!" He hesitated. "I think... anyway, what am I supposed to do? I can't exactly just walk out and go find a new place to stay. I'm pretty sure I don't have a job anymore, and since they cut off the phone line, I can't call in or anything." He hesitated again. Come to think of it, what had happened to his job? He shook his head. He'd think about that later. "Anyway, what am I supposed to do? Haunt the house like some kind of ghost?"

"like I said..we have a problem" Amara said frowning a little "I stalled showings for a few days at least but ...I don't know" it was just a matter of time

"You don't happen to have any money stowed away some place do you?"

"I have some, yes, but not enough to buy a house. Not to mention, terrible credit at this point and-" He stopped and thought. "Well, unless I have to start buying blood or animals with blood, I guess food is no longer an issue for me, so... maybe enough to buy a house? I guess? Why? Are you thinking of selling the house back to me?"

"not exactly" she shook her head "You're legally considered dead. going through that process now may not be good. not until you can figure out a way to go in the sun at least" she reasoned.

"But...if you can trust me we can pool some money together for a down payment... I'd have to move in I can't afford my apartment and a morgage" she explained her idea.

"and in the future we can figure out a way to sign it back over to you" she was more than happy to help him out, that was just the kind of person she was

Irie leaned back, eying her suspiciously. All of this was sounding just a little too good. Buying blood was one thing, but an entire house? And expecting him to just hand over his money? Not that he was doing much with it right now, but it was the principle of the thing. And her moving in? Okay, that wasn't horrible, except for the fact that he couldn't wake up or defend himself at all during the day. What if this was an incredibly elaborate ploy to figure out his weakness and kill him? That did not make a lot of sense since she'd helped him feed, but he couldn't sign off the possibility altogether.

"What's in it for you?" he asked slowly.

she shrugged "in this economy a margage is cheaper" she said simply "so I'll be able to save more to get my own place later on..We'd be helping each other" she said. she knew they didn't really know each other but they were under a time crunch. they had to do something fast.

"look...this house will sell. it's up under market value because it's bank owned. Someone will snap it up regardless of possibly being "haunted"" she tried to explain why this made the most sense "it's win win for both of us..a little crazy maybe but...any better ideas?"

He opened his mouth. Then closed it again. No, he had no other ideas. With a tremor of fear, he suddenly realized that he was completely at her mercy. If she didn't want to help him, he was sunk. If she had some kind of ulterior motive, he was sunk. He had no option but to trust her and try to prepare for the possibility she might try to kill him.

"Alright," he said at last. "I guess you're right. Do you have a smartphone?"

she could see he understood that he was at her mercy but she hoped she could show him she didn't wish to take advantage. Trust would take time for both of them. what was to stop him from feeding on her in the middle of the night? she doubted a locked door would stop him if he had a mind to kill her.

"yeah. course I do" she pulled her phone out and offered it to him

Irie took the phone and started tapping. It took him a minute to figure out how this specific phone worked, but soon he was logging into his bank account and accessing the info. Amazing he still could access it, and he wondered if that would send up some kind of red flag somewhere, but he'd deal with that later. He transferred every penny he had to the main account then put Amara on as a co-owner of the account. That was a little more complicated, but he figured it out. He had a lot more money than he'd expected thanks to his parents leaving it all to him, but it hadn't all gone through thanks to legal hassels. Still, it was enough for the down payment and at least two morgages.

"There," he said, handing the phone back. "I'd suggest you withdraw the money and close the account. It doesn't look like I am going to need it for a while."

she took the phone and nodded "I'll go first thing tomorrow. I can open another account and get you a phone. You can buy a lot online and have it delivered" she reasoned "I'll take enough for half the down payment and leave it to you to send me money to buy blood?" seemed fair enough. she didn't want to just take all his money, he should have his own bit of freedom howver limited it was for now

"Thanks," Irie said, still uncertain. "I guess once we get the internet back on, maybe I can get a computer or some kind and try to figure out how to have a job during the night hours. In a room with thick curtains. And how to order blood online." He looked past the woman, his brow knit with frustration. Now that his belly no longer ached with hunger, he wanted to do something! Like hunt or attack. Fight. Prowl.

He turned his attention back to the woman. Amara. Her. She was a person, not a thing. "You should... you should probably go," he said softly.

Amara nodded and pocketed the phone "We'll figure it all out" she stood up "I'll come back by tomorrow..guessing you're up only at night?" she wanted to know the best time to come

Irie nodded cautiously. "Yes. I am only really up at night. Could you... close the curtains, please? At least the ones that are still here." Maybe he should hunt up some curtains. Hunt them down like prey. That could be a fun pastime! He looked up at Amara, his eyes gleaming just a little as he smiled at her. "It is going to be very interesting having you around."

Amara chuckled lightly "I could say the same. not every day I decide to move in with a vampire" she picked up the empty jars and cooler " see you later then friend!" she said cheerfully before she headed to the door.

Friend? Now there was a novel concept, he thought as he watched her leave. It had been a long time since he'd had any friends. It wasn't that he was against the idea, it just never seemed to... work out. He didn't have friends. He had casual acquaintances he'd meet at the club or online or at some function or party. He didn't have anyone to actually worry when he dropped out of existence for several weeks. Which was probably why he had ended up rotting in a house for sale and no prospects.

Irie rose and stretched, feeling better than he had in weeks! Yet more troubled. He walked slowly around the house, avoiding patches of moonlight as he thought. He was still weak, but now he could think clearly. What was he going to do now that he could think clearly? There were so many things he needed to do. So many questions! How was he going to get money to survive? Could you buy animal blood online? Was Irie Shaw truly dead now? Did he need to make a new identity? How did one go about doing that? What was it going to be like having a lady as his roommate? What if they ended up hating each other?

He stopped and stood next to a dark window shadowed from the moonlight and stared out at the small backyard. At least the house was big enough they could avoid each other if need be, but everything was changing now. Whatever he was, it wasn't human, and that meant nothing was ever going to be the same again. Not that his life was a huge loss, but... what now?

As promised Amara went to the bank the following day and settings up and got the paperwork in order. a long day of running around and it would still be a a couple weeks before it was all processed, but things were in motion.

that night right at sunset Amara returned to the house with the cooler again. only a couple more jars but she wasn't sure what he needed and we'll.. he likely didn't know either.

she knocked this time and waited a moment before letting herself in. letting him know she was back "hello?"

Irie had only just woken up and was cautiously poking his head out. Hearing the call, he silently slipped out of his hiding place and closed it once more, moving as silently as he possibly could. Only once he was certain everything was hidden did he walk to the doorway to greet her.

"What's that?" he asked, distracted by the cooler. "More blood?"

"Yes" she gave a nod "I uh.. wasn't sure how much you need so got a couple more jars" she explained and held the handle out to him to take

"shall we sit and talk?"

Back