Ancient Forest (1X1)

After Sarah had woken enough and been fed, the chief listened to her store. Upon hearing it, he decided not to send her back to them. Instead he would send her on her way but she couldn't tell anyone what had happened.

The chief allowed for Sarah to stay with the tribe for a few days until she felt well enough to travel on her own. She took that time to learn about his people and their history. She was always fascinating by such things and the people seemed equally curious about her.

It was decided that she would stay at least three days to heal before leaving. It would also give her time to figure out what to say and do about the missing men and if she really wanted to return to school at this point.

After things seemed to be settled down, which was on Sarah's last day of staying with the tribe, the rebellious green demon started towards the edge of the ruins. None of the demons had ever stepped too far outside that area before, and he was nervous, not knowing if something would happen to him if he did. Nevertheless, he gathered his courage and started his way towards the tribe's village, keeping a tight grip on the pendant necklace he had picked up. Once he reached an area where he could still hide, but he wasn't that far from the village, he made sure his human disguise was up. He had to confirm the girl was still here before he attacked anyone.

Sarah had regained her strength and felt better. Her neck had healed but she wasn't sleeping well. Nightmares had started.

The morning of her last day she was helping some of the women gather water. She was smiling and enjoying being among them.

There was a strange feeling though and she reached for her necklace but was once more reminded that she didn't have it anymore. It ached that she had lost her mother's necklace but she couldn't go back for it.

The women and her went to the nearby river to collect water. It was a short distance from the village.

As he watched from the edge of the woods, the demon thought he spotted the girl among a group of women from the tribe. He followed their path to the river, making sure to remain hidden in the trees. Whether or not the tribe knew or predicted he'd show up, he had no clue, so he wasn't taking chances. Once the women were settled at the river, he started emerging from the trees, taking careful steps in case the tribeswomen were prepared for a spirit like him to come around.

The women were busy getting the containers full of water and talking amongst themselves that they didn't notice him for a few minutes.

It was when Sarah felt a pull that she looked up. She tenses instantly as she saw who it was. The other women soon notice her expression and move from the water quickly.

The tribe knew of the beings in the forest but not what to do as they had never had to deal with them before. They had never come near the village before.

They all seemed to stand frozen for a moment.

The demon simply smiled and tried to act casual. "Forgive me for disturbing you, ladies, but I was looking around for whoever owns this.." He held up the necklace, hoping it would lure Sarah in so she could try and get it back, which with luck would bring her right into his greedy clutches.

Sarah tensed as she saw her necklace on his hand. She touched her neck where it would normally hang. Without thinking she had stepped forward a little. "That's mine." She says.

One of the women though put her hand on Sarah's arm. " Be cautious."

"I thought so." He said with a small chuckle. "You left it back at the ruins. And while I'd be happy to give it back to you... I'm expecting a little something in return." His eyes glowed a bit, a faint jade green. as he kept his hold on the necklace. In the back of his mind was some nagging feeling telling him not to do this, but he shrugged it off as his stupid brother's influence and simply waited for the girl's response.

The other women were moving back a little and a way from the demon but Sarah remained where she stood. At his words though, anger filled her instantly.

"That was my mother's necklace. Give it back." She took another step toward him. The pendant itself seemed to grow warm in his hand suddenly.

"It's called a trade, sweetheart. And it's only fair if both of us get what we want. I'm sure you know what I'm expecting from you. So if I give you this necklace, will you give me what I want in return?" He didn't seem to notice the warmth, or maybe just ignored it in his attempt to win her over for her soul.

There was a small rustling in the trees above the women, but again the green demon ignored it. His main focus was on the girl, and it was obvious.

Sarah clenched her hands at her side. "How is that even a fair trade? That belongs to me. You have no right to demand anything from me." She was mad. It was the only thing she had left of her mother.

He sighed and put the necklace back in his jacket pocket. "Listen, I didn't want to have to force this, but I refuse to let you slip away just because my dumb brother went soft. If I can't trade for your soul, then I'll just take it." With this, he grabbed her by the collar and pulled her towards him. Just before he bit into her neck, however, he was shoved off of her by something that came from behind her.

Sarah gasps in surprise and tried to struggle free from his grip. Fear and panic filled her.

The women had run in fear and taken off to the village.

As the grip on her was suddenly gone, she fell to the ground. Landing on her rear. She blinks a bit and looks up a little in confusion.

She would first see a pair of red leathery wings on top of the green demon, then those wings were connected to someone familiar. Red managed to pin his younger brother to the ground, then dug into the younger's jacket for Sarah's necklace. Once he got it he stood and handed it to her, staring at the ground as if he were unworthy to look her in the eye. The green demon was clearly pissed at this, and started slowly, cautiously getting up.

Sarah stared with wide eyes at the red male. She accepted the necklace from him, holding it close to her. It glowed softly in her hands. "Thank you..." She managed to say as she got to her feet.

As soon as she accepted the necklace, the green demon pounced on Red, leading them into another semi-wrestling match. Red managed to pin the younger down again, and spoke through gritted teeth. "Go home. Stay in the ruins, and don't come back to this village. I'll deal with you when I get back. And if I ever catch you near this village again, I will make you pay. Do you understand?"

The green one sighed and pushed his brother off of him. "Fine." He stood and let his wings show, taking off and flying back towards the ruins. Red stayed kneeling on the ground, seeming upset or disappointed in... something.

Sarah gasped and jumped out of the way as they fought again.

She felt herself trembling as she stared at them. After the green one left, she moved a little, stepping towards the red one. "Are
...you okay?"she asks gently.

"I... I can't believe I just threatened my own brother..." He shuddered a little, then stood up. "But I had to, otherwise he would've continued to try and harm you. I was doing the right thing. I think..." He still seemed to doubt himself some, but he was at least happy that Sarah was safe. Soon enough thinking of something, he turned to face her. "Do you suppose when those women of the tribe ran off, they might've told anyone about my brother trying to attack you? I do want my brothers to be safe, and I don't really want any conflict with the tribe."

Sarah gazed at him. "I'm not sure...the chief had at first wanted to send me back to you to protect his people. He may reconsider his choice and send me. He may think it will put things back to balance. " She shivers a little and holds her necklace tighter.

He thinks over this a minute, then shakes his head. "No, I can't allow that to happen. If you get sent back you will die for sure. Maybe... maybe I can speak with him, make sure you can go home. You belong with your friends and family, after all. You don't deserve to be used as food for tunnel-visioned demons like us." He hid his wings just to be safe, and since he didn't need them at the moment.

Back