Ancient Forest (1X1)

She looks at him. "My family is all dead...and returning to school...doesnt seem like a good idea anymore." She hesitates a little, then adds. "He may listen but he has his people to worry about."

He seemed a bit taken back by her mention her family's passing, but his serious attitude returns as she returns to the topic of the tribe. "I understand the chief would want the rest of his tribe to be safe, but I believe it'll be safer for both you and them if you went home. We have no need to bother the tribe, unless we really start to starve. And even then most of us would try hold ourselves back. It's beyond my control what you do when you get home, but that's where you should be. As much as I hate to admit any weakness... taking the lives of humans for our own gain just isn't right, and I wish it wasn't something we have to do."

Red took a deep breath and finally let his red eyes meet her eyes. "I'll leave it up to you. Though I know most humans would do anything to keep their lives. You can either talk to the chief and try to convince him to send you home, or you can let him send you back to us. Either way, I have no right to judge you." He smiled a little, though it seemed rather nervous or concerned, then he started walking back towards the ruins.

Sarah felt unsure suddenly. Home? Did she really even have one? She watched him walk away then looked in the direction of the village. She wasn't sure what to do but she needed to do something.

She head back towards the village. The chief and his warriors were waiting. He had a guarded look on his face but didn't just banish her as she feared. Instead he showed her an ancient carving.

It looked like her pendant. "Your family is an old bloodline thought to have died out long ago. Protectors of the forest. Those beings, they can not help what they are. "

He regards her before he spoke again. " You will return to them but keep that pendant close. They hunger and only you can sustain them and keep them at bay."

Sarah stared at him in confusion. He smiled as if understanding. "Your necklace was crafted long ago to hold on to the essence of a person. Many of them. In order to feed the beings. Only the ones of your blood can use it. Someone long ago tried to wipe out your line. Thinking it would destroy the beings. "

He nods. "Go back to them. If you don't, they will seek you but also because the one who killed your line was never found." He turns and walks away, leaving her alone.

As the older brother returned back to the ruins, he left the younger green demon with a warning for now. Afterwards he returned to wear the bodies had been buried, kneeling beside their resting places and letting his mind wander. However, his thoughts kept returning to Sarah, what she must've been feeling during that whole incident just now. This endeavor was likely to have some affect on both of them. Red knew there was something special about Sarah, and now that he thought about it that necklace looked somewhat familiar, but he couldn't place it. And he had no clue whatsoever what led him to feel so bad for attacking her.

He tried to drop the thoughts, and for now kept his eyes closed and made his best efforts at paying his respects and apologies to the boys laying under the ground in front of him.

Sarah stood there for long moments, frozen. What the chief had told her had been confusing but part of her believed him.

She looks in the direction of the ruins. Was there really a choice where she went? If she ran,the one who wanted her line dead would eventually come hunting for her. Or the demons would but maybe..if She could figure out the necklace..then maybe she could help the demons.

With little hesitation, she began making her way back towards the ruins. The pictures she had taken may be able to help. She needed her camera and she truly hoped the red one could keep his brothers at bay until she learned how to control the necklace.

As she got closure to the ruins, she realized she was holding her breath, waiting to be attacked.

There was a small rustling in the trees, and soon after that familiar soft voice. "You came back..." The youngest demon, the first one they had met, came out of the woods with an almost stunned look on his face. "Why? After all that, I thought for sure you would've gone home. I understand you probably wouldn't really want to see us again..."

He looked fine now, not like he had when he was trying to get their guard down. His glasses had been fixed and for the most part he had been cleaned up.

Sarah was tense and unsure as she looks at the younger brother. "The chief...he told me something. I might be able to help you and the others...to feed. I need to look at the ruins though to do it..." She says honestly. She tries to push down the images of that. She still had nightmares about it as it was.

The boy nodded and seemed a little nervous. "Well... you know where they are, so..." He stepped back into the woods and disappears, thinking he should probably tell someone about this. Maybe Red, he was oldest and he seemed to be nicest to her.

She watches him disappear then looks in the direction of the ruins. Did she really dare continue? What if she couldn't do this?

Shaking her head she forced herself to step forward. A shiver ran down her spine but she kept walking. It took her a bit to reach the ruins bit once there, she focused on the symbols she had found earlier.

There had to be something there that explained all of this. Had to be.

After a minute, there was a small whoosh above her head, and her camera landed in her hands. It was perfectly fine, and all her pictures were still on it. Even if she already had the ruins in front of her, with the symbols for her to look over, having the camera might help somehow.

Her eyes widen as she found her camera in her hands suddenly. She stared at it a moment then began to check the pictures on it.

It was when she got to the ones of the water fall that she stopped. There was something there. She lools carefully at it. There was something behind the falls.

She looks in the direction of the falls. The only way to get there was to swim. Carefully she moved to the waters edge. She wasn't a good swimmer at all but she had to get over there.

Up in another one of the trees near the river, another of the demons was watching her to make sure she'd be safe. If anything happened to her along her way, he planned to help. Though he'd likely be discreet about it, not letting her know he was there. He realized his brother's thoughts about her being special, and he respected them, but some part of him was stubborn and he didn't want to show any compassion by openly helping her.

Thinking carefully, she got as close to the fall as she could without getting in the water. Once she was, she pulled her shoes off and her sockets and moved into the water.

It was soothing to her as she moved deeper. It took her a few feet before she was forced to swim. She struggled a bit but managed to get near the water fall. The push of the water was making it difficult for her.

She tried to get closer again but was pushed under by the water. Unable to keep treading water, she went back to shore. Her breathing was heavy and she was shivering again. She stared at the water fall. She had to get over there.

As she was being pushed under the water, the demon was about to dive in and get her out, but she managed to get out on her own. He moved to the other side of the river, making sure to stay just a silhouette to her view. "Maybe try not swimming so close to the waterfall. I mean, you should stay close to it to avoid getting swept away by the current, but don't swim so close that you get pushed under. Try to find a balance."

She blinks a bit as she hears the voice talking to her. Turning her head she saw the form but couldn't make out the details there.

" Thank you..." She says though she wasn't sure which one of the creatures it was she spoke to.

Moving back into the water, she tried again. It took her a few attempts but she managed to get close enough without getting pulled under or pushed away.

At the back of the water fall there was some more ruins, old writing in a different language. Yet she could read it.

Her eyes widen as she tries to take it all in. She was only able to tread water a few more minutes before exhaustion began to seep into her bones. She moves back to shore and pulled her pendant out. She holds it tightly in her hands and thinks quietly.

She felt so tired, and hungry but she laid there a moment on the shore as she tried to process what she had found. The pendant had to be activated some how. Once that was done, the creatures could feed from it through her. That much she understood but how does them biting her feed them from the pendant? It confused her.

The figure on the other side spread wings as she pulled up on the shore. He quickly flew up and landed in front of her a few seconds later, offering his hand to her.

"You know, you could've swam to the other bank just as easily. But I understand now if you're too exhausted to try and swim back. I can fly you over if you'd like. I know you need to look at those writings, and we shouldn't let something as simple as a river stop you."

It was hard to ignore her fear as the figure reached her. She hesitates to take his offered hand. What if she was wrong about all of this?

Forcing her fear to the back of her mind, she took his hand and got up with his help. "I saw most of them...i just can't understand what it means..." She answers honestly.

The pendant grew warm in her other hand. She held on to it tightly.

"I think if you're able to read it up close, you'll be able to understand it better." He kept a firm grip on her hand, expecting her to let him fly her across the river. "It really won't be much trouble, and as long you're light enough for me to carry and still fly with, it should only take a few seconds."

She was tense and unsure as she stared at him. She wanted to pull her hand away from him but she didn't move. She nods slightly to him. "Okay...lets try." She says.

He simply pulled her close, trying to hold onto her without getting invasive. "Hold on," was his simple suggestion. It only took a second afterwards for him to spread his wings and start flying, though it was honestly more like hovering. He stayed close to the ground level, just to make sure she was uncomfortable as he didn't know how she was with heights. Not to mention there was no need to go very high anyway.

Once they were on the other side he set her down, gently nudging her towards the ruins she had seen. "I'll be here whenever you're ready to go back."

Back