Conley Brothers

Marcel put a hand on Kazimirs shoulder "best not to touch the others. They aren't used to affection he smiled "security is a messy unpleasant job"

"Oh, dear, that is very sad," Kazimir mourned.

"You may hug me, if you wish. I do not mind," Aella said, choosing that moment to glide forward.

Kazimir regarded her frankly. "Pretty lady, I am flattered, but I feel you wish to eat me alive if I am unwary."

Aella laughed the most beautiful laugh heard by man. "You are a forthright one, aren't you?" she cooed, amused. "And you are probably correct. I could not help myself." She looked to Marcell. "Did I hear you mention supper plans, my dear?"

Marcel smiled "indeed, those rabbits Viviana fetched along our way" he prompted glancing over. "On it" V muttered and went to go start finding some wood for thr fire. Good enough excuse to get away and investigate this place a little more.

Asher rose slowly and moved to follow V. He would help her collect wood. He often followed one or another of the members to help them with their chores, and V was no exception, though he had perhaps said three words to her since she had joined about a year ago.

"I should go and leave you to eat in peace," Kazimir said, turning to go. He would have to cross paths with Asher to get where he needed to go.

V glanced over at Asher "I don't need help. Buzz off" she said dismissively. Preferring to go alone this time. She would get the wood but she also wanted to check out these people they were supposed to protect

V's words caused Asher to pause right as Kazimir walked his direction, expecting the other to keep moving. Kazimir almost stopped in time but still bumped lightly into Asher. Before Kazimir could even open his mouth to form an apology, Asher's hand came up and shoved him hard in the chest.

"Don't touch!" Asher snapped, leaping away from him.

Kazimir's heart stuttered as if something had struck it directly. He gasped, staggering, his hands going to his chest. His heart beat hard, fluttering and spasming before slowly resuming beating properly.

V sighed "remember what Marcel said" she scolded " can't hurt to preformers" she frowned and looked at Kaz "You're ok?"

Asher backed up, his eyes flicking to Marcel. "I didn't mean to. He startled me. It was an accident!" he protested, his voice forceful despite how quiet he spoke.

Kaz slowly caught his breath, rubbing his chest, his face pale. "I... I will be fine. I think," he said shakily.

Vladimir noticed what was happening and walked over swiftly. "What is wrong?"

Marcel walked over "it is alright Asher. Just be more aware of your surroundings. We are among many more people than we are accustomed" he said before looking at Vlad "just a little misunderstanding" he said.

"He will be alright" be added

Vlad looked at Marcel, his eyes narrowed for a moment. Then he nodded, relaxing a little. "Please be careful. This is a tight-knit group, and with everything that has happened lately... well..." He shrugged. "Tempers are thing and feeling tender." He reached out and took Kazimir's arm. "Come. Your supper is getting cold."

"Bye!" Kazimir called brightly but weakly to the group as Vlad led him away.

Asher stood tense and waiting for a scolding or punishment.

Viviana watched them go "this is going to be so fun" she said sarcastically

"Asher why don't you stay At camp for now" Marcel said "i think we need to go over boundaries for this job again" he wasn't like Felix, quick to lose his temper. "Come"

Asher ducked his head, angry and a little scared, but did not argue as he turned to walk into camp. He hadn't meant to! He'd tried not to, but it was so difficult sometimes. At least Marcel and the others (at least he thought all the others) knew how to block his power, but these innocents had no idea.

Marcel watched him go back before looking at V who was busy watching Vlad and Kaz.

"Go get firewood. Don't get distracted. There is time for investigating later" he said before turning away.

V nodded "yes sir..."

Starnacht had come out to join the others at that point, watching as Kaz came back "what happened?"

"Ha! Got it! I think I picked the rockiest damn patch of ground in this whole place!" Bevrix crowed as he stepped back from his tent. It had taken him much longer than usual to pitch his tent. Then he turned to Marcel. "I'm going to need to walk the perimeter so I know where to throw up a shield if I need to protect the whole thing."

~~

"A little mishap, that's all," Vlad said, helping Kazimir sit by the fire. The twins went to him instantly and started fussing. Vlad let them, turning to Star. "Star, do you see the people behind me?" Vlad asked, not making it obvious he was talking about them as he sat with his back to the group.

Marcel gave a nod "go ahead. But be quick about it. I imagine Keith will be around soon" he said

-

Star glanced over, nodded and looked back at Vlad "they are new people?" Yes?"

"I am here," Keith called as he walked up to the group. He looked Bevrix a moment then turned to Marcel. "I only need to talk to you first."

~~

"Yes, new people to try to keep what happened to Chib from happening to anyone else," Vlad explained, keeping his voice soft. He looked at Star seriously. "Do not go near them, Star, unless you absolutely have to." He glanced at the twins. "The same goes for you, understand? If any of you go near them, we will talk consequences."
The twins shivered and nodded. Vlad never brought up "consequences" like that unless he was serious. It meant he hadn't decided what the punishment would be, but it would be a good deal harsher than a time out or a stern lecture.

Marcel smiled "delightful" he nodded "why don't we walk and talk and lwt thr rest settle in hm?"

--

Star glanced at the twins th4n looked at Vlad and nodded "are they bad like Keith and mr Felix?"

"Yes," Keith agreed because there was no reason not to. He turned and started to prowl away from the group. "You have complete understanding of your people to be the boss." It was not a question.

~~

"At least one of them is, the leader, so until proven otherwise, we are treating them all as bad people," Vlad said softly. "It may not seem fair, but if they are bad, they are very, very powerful, and I would rather be unfair and wrong than try to be fair and see you hurt."

"Indeed. And you understand this circus. Only makes sense to work together" Marcel reasoned as they walked

-

Star nodded again "I will stay..." he paused and looked back towards the trailers, tail twitching "someone listens..." he whispered and looked back at Vlad

"Master says I am in charge because I know this circus," Keith said, repeating Marcel's words. "I have not been in charge of your people before. I do not know what they can do. I will tell you what needs to be done. You tell your people. If I don't like the work, I will tell you. Yes?"

~~

"Hmm," Vlad murmured. Then he said in the same tone, "I would like to continue your school lessons in the evening between shows. Are you enjoying what you have learned so far?" So far had been basic lessons in whatever time Vlad could steal from sleeping, working, or caring for the others. And no one really cared to listen to the school plans of others, right?

Back