Conley Brothers

Viviana stood up. She respected needing space "I'm V by the way" she said beforr stepping outside again. Time to find firewood

Vee? Vee. Claudius considered the name carefully. He would have told her his name, but she was already gone. He still did not trust her, but his willingness to consider trusting her was high. Much higher than when he had first come to the circus and met Camilla.

Camilla.

Would she come? Would she tell him she was not allowed any longer? He hoped she would. He wished he knew what Felix had been doing to her.

~~

Asher sat in his tiny tent, the flap open, his eyes narrowed in concentration as he carefully manipulated a single spark of what appeared at first glance to be fire.

His concentration was interrupted as Viviana's ghostly friend dumped firewood in the middle of the camp. Though V herself didn't appear to be around.

Orryn watched the ghostly creature. None of them knew his name or anything about him aside from his willingness to help V with whatever she bid him do

Asher frowned as three drops of blood fell to the ground, staining it. "Please don't," he whispered. He rose and went to the fire pit to arrange the branches into the appropriate shape.

The ghostly apparition looked up at him, gave a polite nod and vanished. His task was done.

"There is much pain in this place. Pain behind laughter" Orryn said

"Eh, the elephants probably trampled somebody," Bevrix shrugged, writing something in a battered notebook.

Asher waited to be sure Bevrix was not invested in the conversation then asked, "What can you see?"

Orryn closed his eyes to focus his mind "there is a binding here. A binding to trap souls. Some know their suffering but most do not see the binding. Thr spider has crafted a deep web ....if not careful the spider will take us too" orryn took another deep breath his brow furrowed "the spider eludes my sight" that never happened

Asher shivered. "They must be very strong," he whispered.

"So what? There's no way anything or anyone could possibly take us down. You're worrying over bugs," Bevrix said blandly.

Asher frowned at him but let it go as he tended to the fire and brought it to life. Now to make rabbit stew... again.

Orryn frowned "that is precisely what the first bug said" Orryn said as he opened his eyes but did not speak again

Asher went to work on the stew. He wished he could sense things like the others could. He could not sense magic unless it was very strong, and then even some regular humans could tell the dirrence. He sensed life. He could, at this moment, sense exactly how many people were in the area, and glamour did not work on him. He could also sense when people were not in their original form - transfigured - but he hadn't quite learned how to tell what their original form was supposed to be. Being able to sense magic seemed like a much more useful skill.

He believed Orryn's statement. He believed there was trouble. But who could cause such a trap? Perhaps the one who had invited them in, truly like a spider. Keith. Keith seemed the insidious type. Maybe he was the spider and was hiding in the shadow of Felix. He would watch. He did not feel helpful, but he could try. It would be nice to do something other than heal small wounds and kill or maim people.

The night passed again without much insident. Camilla and Leon returned in the wee hours of morning. Later than Felix liked but a nice enough treat to keep Cqmilla happy for awhile.

Camilla had maybe indulged too much and was still giggling and hanging off Leon as she couldn't walk straight. This wasn't like her either. She simetimes enjoyed a glass of wine but that was all really.

-

Adanya was up early and feeding her pets. Being up and about was a good sign. She kept thr eyepatch on though, hauling a bucket of fresh cut meat back towards her trailer

Leon smiled at his sister, amused, and far more in control than he. He walked her home, chuckling at her antics. "Alright, you, get some sleep and sober up before our dear brother catches onto what has been going on," he told her, guiding her toward the door.

~~

Kazimir skipped happily toward Adanya's wagon. "Adanya!" he called, spotting her. "Good morning, Pretty lady!"

She giggled again "felix? Ppht" she waved a hand and giggled "he'd never do anything to me!" She giggled. Little did she know. He had.

--

Adanya smiled and waved back "good morning my handsome friend"

Leon raised a brow at her and smirked. "He wouldn't would he? Then why are you afraid to leave?" he teased. He opened the door to her wagon and pushed her gently in. "Come on, darling! To bed!"

~~

Kaz caught her words in surprise. She called him a handsome friend! She really thought he was a friend! His grin nearly took his ears as he loped over to her. "What are you doing?"

"Why would I want to!" She laughed a little and stumbled in to her trailer.

Behind them Felix stood with arms folded.

--

She smiled and nodded to the bucket "tome to feed my friends...my cat friends. You come help?"

"Exactly!" Leon said brightly, letting her go. "Now bed and sleep with you, my little rebel!" He hadn't noticed Felix yet. He watched long enough to make certain Camilla wasn't going to hurt herself before backing out.

~~

"Of course!" Kazimir said eagerly. "I would love to feed... Feed?" His eyes widened, a look of horror crossing his face. "Oh no! I forgot! I am sorry, I need to go do what I forgot. I will be back!" He turned and started to run. Then he came to a sudden stop. "Oh no! I do not know what to feed it!"

Felix cleared his throat when the door was closed "getting back a bit late don't you think?"

--

Adanya blinked and watched him, confused "feed what?" She asked "did Felix get another animal and not tell me?"

Leon jumped then blinked owlishly at his brother. "No, I don't think so. I think we are back very early!" he grinned loosely. He stepped down from Camilla's wagon and started to turn to his own.

~~

"Keith told me to feed it and look after it but not touch," Kazimir fretted. "He did not say what to feed it! And it is such a sad, sad creature, Adanya. It makes Claudius look happy." He gave Adanya a pleading look. "Will you please help me? If you have time? Just tell me what it needs?"

Felix frowned "Leon" he said more sternly "we need to talk" he stated "it can't wait"

--

Adanya set the bucket down and reached out to catch his hand "calm. Whatever it is. You must be calm first to help ok. We will feed my friends then you show me what Keith has given you to take care of ok?"

Leon groaned heavily. "Fine! Fine, I'm coming. You know, I used to just be the accountant and hawker for this place, but now I am feeling more like the boss."

~~

Kazimir took a deep breath and let it out slowly, forcing himself to calm down. He still twitched with nervous energy, but now he was focused on Adanya. "Calm," he agreed. "I am sorry. This is a big responsibility for me. I wish not to make mistake for the creature's sake." He reached down and picked up her bucket. "I will help!"

Back