Conley Brothers

Marcel nodded "that does seem the easiest way to go about this yes" he agreed. Gave his people more freedom and he doubted they wanted to listen to Keith bht they would listen to him.

--

He nodded "yes. I am learning much!" Star answered excitedly. He liked to know things but had never had anyone to teach him.

Viviana frowned a little as she listened from behind the trailer. So they were going to label her bad too. Just like everyone always did. Except Marcel. He had taken her in when nobody else would. Marcel was right. People would always judge her before they knew anything about her.

She quietly moved on. She heard what she came to hear.

"Good!" Keith said cheerfully. "The biggest weak spots that I have difficulty in covering are there by the lions, and there by the ticket booth. During the day when many, many people are here, it gets harder. Do not make marks not want to come! That is Master's biggest rule. They can be scared if you need to, but never hurt one where others can see. Ever."

~~

Vlad smiled. "Good. Tonight I thought we could do history. Would you like that?"

Marcel nodded "I'll talk to my people. Should be easy enough to cover those points with us around" he said thoughtfully.

"Tell me about the lion tamer. Perhaps we can work with him on a security protocol"

--

Star tilted his head "history? About who?" He asked innocently

"Adanya was one of the ones attacked and she is weak. And she hates people," Keith said with a shrug. "I will ask her, but only Master tells her what to do."

~~

"About people in general," Vlad chuckled. "There is a lot of history, and we do not even know half of it!"

~~

Claudius sat leaned against the bars of his cage, relaxed for now. He'd more or less recovered from his fright, and now he sat puzzling over the events. It had felt like someone else had taken over. Like someone else in his mind and controlling his tongue, yet he had not fully lost control. What was wrong with him? Who was wrong with him? A strange question, but it felt right.

He nodded "yes talk to him then and we will work from there" he reasoned "but perhaps V. She doesn't like to socialize. She wouldn't be a bother to her."

--

Speaking of V she has wondered around and noticed the dark canvas tent set away from everthing. Curiously she walked up and listened a moment but didn't hear much so poked her head into the tent to see

"That is a good thing," Keith agreed. He thought for a moment more. "Most of the troupe will behave, but sometimes Vlad does not because he thinks it is bad for someone else. And his twins. They like to steal things. But they are very weak, so do not be too mean to them or they will break." He made a face, annoyed with how fragile everyone was.

~~

Claudius heard the rustle and lifted his head, expecting either Camilla or Star. It was neither. He jumped in alarm and pulled back, growling. His spines along his back caught the tarp and held him fast, scaring him. For a moment, he struggled frantically then calmed when he realized t was his own doing that had gotten him caught. And now he was stuck. He went still, crouched, and watched the new face, suspicious but unafraid.

"No wonder Felix needed help" he scoffed "the number of weak people is astounding" from what he had seen so far anyway.

--

V paused for a moment, looking at him curiously but not afraid either.

"Why are you alone?" She asked him, only coming in a few steps

Keith nodded in disgust. "But they bring a lot of money!"

~~

Claudius tipped his head, surprised by the question. He considered his answer for so long one might think he was not going to answer. "Safer," he rasped quietly.

"Suppose that's why he keeps them around" he shrugged "still beats me why he left us. We did good together" he mused casually

--

V sat on thr ground and watched him "suppose it can be but it's nice to know someone has your back. Don't you think?"

"Master likes to be Master!" Keith said happily. He pointed. "Those are Master's wagon, Master's brother, and Master's sister. Keep those safe."

~~

"The tarp has my back," Claudius replied mildly.

He nodded on response "we will keep a close watch on them" he promised

-

She glanced up at how his spines had caught in said tarp "looks to me that it doesn't" she said but went on "I get it though...sometimes relying on yourself is the only way to survive"

Keith continued his tour, showing Marcel every nook and cranny of every corner of the circus.

~~

"Survive, yes, but not to live." He turned and slowly started pulling himself free, growling as he ripped the tarp. Once he was free, he returned to his seat and studied her again. "Keith may kill you if you are not supposed to be here," he said.

"I am part of the new security team. I can go where I like" she answered "why do you stay in a cage?"

He rested his chin on his knee, his eyes narrowing. "Why does a stranger wish to know?" he asked. No one asked this many questions except the twins at high speed and maybe Camilla if she had a point.

She considered "curiouse" she said "when my cage was open I didn't want to stay inside it. So why stay? I want to understand" she explained a little

He didn't move for a full minute. Then he lifted his head and replied, "Out of the cage always meant pain. It meant torture. Death for others. Inside the cage, it meant safety no matter how small. Camilla is teaching me not everything is painful out of the cage." He reached down and touched his pillow. "She gave me this and a blanket."

V studied him a moment. A strange feeling cropping up in her. Sympathy? Was that what that felt like? She shifted her position "that makes sense.." she looked at the pillow then back at him "who is Camilla?"

"My caretaker." He looked down at the pillow. "My friend. But she is not allowed friends. He took her away, and I do not think... she will not be back. He will make sure of it." He growled, tensing in anger for a moment, but then it was gone in a slump of resignation. Camilla was gone. He had not been strong enough to help her.

She frowned "he who?" She asked, not liking thr sound of this one bit. The poor fellow needed friends clearly and was being denied.

He lifted his head and looked at her. He considered telling her then decided against it. "There is nothing you can do. It matters not." He shifted and laid down. "I am tired." Silence, then quietly, "Thank you for being interested."

Back