Conley Brothers

"Why don't you go do something useful" Felix said. Annoyed at his little brother "check up on our sister or something" he said dismissively now "I have a show to rework and not long to do it"

"I am always useful," Leon grinned, already moving away in case Felix decided to physically express his annoyance. "Far more useful than someone who, oh, I don't know... injures one of our best acts?" He waggled his brows then beat a hasty retreat.

Felix groaned and shook his head before going off to do his work.

Camilla was just fetching food for Claudius at the cookhouse

If Claudius was the type to pace, he would have worn a hole in the floor by now. As it was, he sat in the far corner, still as a stone, head low and body hunkered in a protective position. He was waiting, anticipating trouble.

Camilla soon had a plate for him and returned to his tent and cage, knocking on the post before pushing the flap up "Claudius, it's me"

Claudius' head came up, and he studied Camilla a moment before rising and coming over. He moved in a tense scuttle, not rising as much as he could have, seeming to have reverted a little bit. "Where are you hurt?" he demanded before offering her a hand up.

"I am not hurt " she shook her head "just tired. I had to help heal some of the others" she explained "here..I brought your food" sbe held up the plate for him "I'm sorry I couldn't come last night"

Claudius looked her over, studying her closely. "You do not look well," he said bluntly before taking the food. "You look worried."

"I am worried" she took a seat near his cage "Adanya might lose sight in one eye" she sighed, feeling guilty about it "I wish I could do more"

"Did you do something?" Claudius asked. Slowly, hesitantly, he inched out of his cage and crouched near her, glancing around uncomfortably. Yes, the cage restricted his movements, but it also kept others out.

"No" she said "just having a hard time healing her eye that was injured..eyes are so sensitive and delicate" she frowned "none of it should have happened..."

"Well no but..I am the healer here and I haven't been able to fully heal her" ahe frowned a little "I need to hone my abilities more I think...if I'd been working on that more perhaps she would see out if that eye again

"You want more people to be injured so you can have more practice?" There was no malice in his voice, merely pointing out the logic. "You did something. You did your best. You already said you do not know if she is blind or not. You have nothing to be guilty for. Only the one who wielded the knife."

"Well no but there are other ways to practice..." she sighed "thank you Clauf..you're very kind"

"Your truth is kind" she offered a small thankfull smile "I'm quite glad you're my friend...It's strange..I can't imagine my life without you in it now"

Claudius tipped his head slightly, studying her with a slight frown. "Is that likely?" he asked uncertainly. "That you will sell me on or leave me here when you leave?"

"Oh! No" she shook her head quickly "that's not at all what I mean. You are welcome to stay as long as you wish" she assured with a soft smile. "I just mean that you've changed my life, in a good way, and that I'm comfortable around you...I meant it as a cimplimemt"

"Oh." He relaxed a little, still watching her. "Thank you. I like to think I did something good for you. You have done so much for me." He looked away and turned his eyes skyward, his long black hair falling in tangles about his bare shoulders. He was quiet a moment then asked, "Will you leave the circus?"

Back