Flames From the Past (1x1)

Sitting down she listened to his words and was silent a moment as he mentioned about the medical benefits to the job. That was true and they were great but the doctors had run out of ideas and things to try. It seemed that nothing they tried worked for her eyes as if she was cursed to go blind.

"The medical side to your company has been interesting and my boss that hired me, right after he hired me actually made sure I got in the insurance and was looked after."

She should have know that this lunch would be about her scars. Everyone always wanted to know how she got them and the real story. She never told the real story anymore. Just the one the papers said. A gas explosion.

"The doctors have been doing all they can. They are the reason I'm able to walk and use my hands and see." She moves her glasses a little and starts to eat her own sandwich, she lived the food here. It was always perfect.

Dustin leaned back slightly then hummed, "They said there was little to be done..." His amber gazed trailed over her slowly before he leaned forward, "Tell me, do you believe in miracles?" he was asking it in a way that might have made one step back and ask him if he was nuts.

She stared at him quietly now, chewing her bite of sandwich in her mouth. He didn't ask that question lightly. She could see that much in his eyes. Miracles?

For a moment she felt like she could tell this man about what truly happened that night and he would actually believe her.

She shakes her head slightly though after a moment. "I believe in facts. If I believed in miracles, that was a long time ago and my scars are part of me. If I'm to go blind then that is my fate." She shrugs a little.

The male leaned back slightly, "Tell me. How did Ingious become a part of your life?" He pointed at the bands of healed pink scar around ehr wrists, "He normally only claims what has been promised to him."

He leaned in again, "I won't tell you to trust me but I will give you facts you never imagined. I return. I want you to tell me your wishes and dreams all of them."

Those amber eyes seemed to turn a paler gold for a moment.

His words caught her off guard and she found herself staring at him. Rubbing at her wrists, she pulled the sleeves down a little.

"I don't know....the fire broke out in the house and he was there..." she had never spoken about that night to anyone in so long, she wasn't even sure if it was really what she saw.

She shakes her head a little. He wanted to know her wishes and dreams. Did she even know what those were?

The male rested his chin in his palm, "Cheri hasn't told you I see," he smiled slightly. Cheri was an odd little pixie. She was the last one that Dustin had helped out by granting her the ability to fly again. Her delicate wings that she hid most of the time had been damaged by a hell hound who thought the pixie was food till he found that the taste of her magic wasn't appealing. Cheri now worked under that hell hound and they had become very close friends. It must have been a combined effort between the two to get Monica in front of Dustin.

Humming he glanced out the window then set about munching his sandwich, "That fire wasn't an accident dear. Did your mother cooked on and electric top and demanded electric heat instead of fire? Pehaps you father did? The reason is simple if they made a deal with him you were likely the token he was given in order to complete it. Did your parents ever let you near fire growing up?"

She blinks a bit at his words and shakes her head. "The house belonged to my grandparents and the stove was electric to start with. We didn't go camping or have a fire place if that's what you mean."

His words confused her. Her parents never told her that fire was bad nor had they ever tried to keep her from it. Yet he spoke as if he knew the creature who had caused all of it. That made her uneasy.

She moves her glasses a little and rubs her eyes before putting her glasses back into place.

He nodded slightly then seemed to loose himself in thought as he watched her rub her eyes. Ignious didn't usually go after the eyes. Hell he was sure he couldn't remember a single report of such an event where he did. This could easily be the work of another demon of fire but it was hard to tell, "Were your grandparents still alive? Were ya'll close?"

Dustin needed to figure out a motive before he could be sure the woman hadn't brought this on herself or that after he fixed her injuries that the demon wouldn't come back around and attack again.

She looks to him and shakes her head. "I never knew them. I was a baby when they passed away. Car accident during a day after a snow storm." She watches him a little. He was trying to figure something out, that much was clear but what exactly.

Then she says, "The thing I saw that night...it stopped as soon as the firefighters broke through the door....no one has ever believed me when I told them what I saw....even I stopped believing...thinking I had just hit my head and imagined it all."

He leaned in slightly, "Would you mind telling me something?" He asked her as he tilted his head to his side, "What do I look like to you?"

It was rare but sometimes humans had the ability to see that which was hidden. Perhaps there had been tiny fae that lived in the house feeding off this and that. Most humans couldn't see these things. A missing sock wasn't taken to keep a new born fairy alive simple eaten by the dryer in a normal house hold. If she was able to see these things he would appear some how angelic. She might be able to see his large steel grey and blue wings that were folded at his back.

The question made her tense, why tense though? She couldn't understand why her instant reaction to such a thing would be to tense up and become uneasy. Yet she did and she was.

She looks away from him for a moment before looking back at him. She takes her glasses off and looked at him. Though her sight was going and she could barely see without them, there were certain things she saw better without them.

As she gazed at him, her eyes widen. There was light that surrounded him, one she couldn't explain or say was just the lights.

She puts her glasses on and shakes her head. "I saw a light around you." She stares at him a moment before shaking her head. "I used to see things all the time as a kid....mom and dad would just laugh but never make fun or anything like that, just made it out that it was my imagination. As I got older, I stopped seeing things...and then the fire...I stopped looking."

He gritted his teeth, "I see," He smiled after a moment, "Let's go speak in my office."

Standing he picked up his drink and the rest of his sandwich. He would eat it on the way back to his office. She was a changeling. A human child with the ability to see through glamour that was worn by others to keep their unnatural appearance safe. She stopped looking because she couldn't see them as well any more. Had the firemen not shown up she would have been completely blind. A blind changeling was one that was no longer a possible harm to the others.

She hesitates a little, it was the look in his eyes that made her unsure. He was though the only one that believed her about what she saw. She nods a little and wraps the rest of her sandwich up. She would eat it for dinner tonight, which meant she didn't have to try and cook tonight.

Once she had her sandwich, she got her drink and moved to follow him. As they got outside, she realized the time and looks to him. "I know you are the big boss...but do I need to let my boss know I'm gonna be late coming back from lunch?"

He glanced at her out of the corner of his eye, "He already knows. Someone else is taking over your duties for now," There was little that the big boss did without making it clear to his underlings his plans. After all they could affect them in the long run. He wanted them to be safe as they wanted him to be.

He held the door open for her before leading her to the stairs, "I was told you don't like elevators. I'm sorry if earlier I made you uncomfortable. Also let me know if eight floors are too much for you."

She nods a little at his words and walked quietly at his side the rest of the way back to the building.

When he mentioned about the elevator, she shakes her head a little. "Just don't like being in small spaces is all...." she smiles a little then says. "Eight floors is fine. I just go slow. My leg isn't too bad ,the scars have tightened the tendons in my leg so I have a permanent limp." She shrugs a bit.

He nodded as he made an effort to keep in pace with her as they strolled up the stairs. Dustin was curious about how the accident might have happened. Some fae didn't like being seen. It was rare for a demon to live in a house they normally wanted to be as close to their element as possible and tended to only go to places that had that element.

Monica glanced at him a little as they walk up the stairs. She was getting nervous and she wasn't sure why. Was there something about the fire that she wasn't aware of? Or the creature she saw.

Once in his office, she was fidgeting a little. It made her wonder if she described the thing she saw to him, maybe it would give better idea of what happened but then again why were they focused on that again. Her head was starting to hurt from thinking of it.

He motioned to a chair in front of his desk, "Have a seat," he told her as he set his things on the desk. He leaned his hip against it as he waited for her. Dustin missed little, "Come let me at least help you with the pain."

The male was gentle and caring. It was his nature.

Carefully she moved to the chair and sat down. Pain? She knew she was always in pain but she barely focused on it at times, unless she was waking up. Always stiff and sore.

She eyes him carefully. "Help with the pain... how?"

Dustin held his hands out, "Give me your hand," He directed. If she did. He would heal the nerves and most of the damaged tissue in that hand and her wrist, "I can't take all the scars away but I can take the pain."

Back