Flames From the Past (1x1)

She hesitated as she looks up at him. Why was she so nervous about this? He wanted to help her. Why was she so nervous about that? Because no one had been able to help her.

She still woke each morning with the same nightmare and no matter what anyone did, the pain returned one way or another.

Yet she found herself taking his hands with her own.

She would feel a warmth spread from his hands to her own. Like water washing something clean he stared into her eyes while he healed her hands and wrists. He would help her because it was the right thing to do. He needed to see her survive and become stronger. It was a desire a wish he had in himself. He would give her a home. A family. All of it if she accepted it.

She found herself staring back at him, locked into his gaze. Her body began to relax as she felt the warm moving through her body. It was unlike anything she had felt before.

The usual tension that filled her shoulders eased and started to relax as the pain began to release in her body. A moment without pain, she hadn't felt like that since that night. It felt so wonderful.

He pulled his hands away, "Believe me now?" He asked as he leaned forward slightly, "I will offer you something but no humans can ever know what you see, hear or learn from this day forward."

This was the payment for the wish granting so to speak, "You will move into an appartment building that is owned by the company. In this building are only those like myself. Others is what we call ourselves as a group as we are many different things. If any one asks how you are doing so well you will simply say that it's a new drug that your company doctor is testing on you."

Monica was sitting in the chair all relaxed. So relaxed. She didn't feel the pain or the tension in her body. It was so strange.

When he spoke those words, she should have known there would be a catch but then again was it so bad a thing?

"Okay...I don't have friends outside of work...and those who so know me know I'm constantly seeing the doctors...I'm actually supposed to have an appointment in the morning..."

"Is it with one of our company doctors?" He asked softly as he leaned back against the desk watching her carefully. Healing sometimes tired out himself and those he healed. He could feel the slightly heavy feeling of his body becoming tired, "If you find yourself tired there's a bed just through that door," he motioned to the one to the left.

She nods a little. "Yes, Dr.Travix. He's been my doctor since I started with the company and the boss had me getting checked out."

Tired, she was feeling tired. A type of exhaustion that she may actually sleep without being disturbed by anything. She nods a little to him. "I think I do need to lay down for a moment."

He stood holding his hand out to her, "I'll allow him to look you over again it will tell me what I should focus on next," He told her as he led her to the bedroom. It was simple. The kind of room you would expect from a man that often stayed over time at work. Simple off grey blankets with red sheet and pillows as well as throw pillows of various greys and browns. He pulled the blankets and sheets back, "Should you need it there's a shower and a bathroom to the left," He pointed as he let her sit on the bed, "Should you need me I'll be in here," He told her as he left the room closing the door gently.

After that he felt the tiredness strike him hard as he made his way over to the couch and flopped down. Stretching out he was out like a light.

Monica nods softly as she accepted his hand and went with him to the room he spoke of. Once sitting on the bed The pull for sleep was strong.

She nods again at his words about where he would be. "Thank you..." she says to him. She watches him leave the room then takes her shoes off and curls up beneath the blankets.

She relaxed instantly again and started to fall instantly asleep.

The sound of a door opening woke the male, "Oi! You sleeping on the job... How odd," The voice was of none other than his twin who sat on the coffee table next to him, "Why aren't you sleeping in that bed you got up here?"

"Someone's in it and she needs the sleep more than I do," He told her with a annoyed stare, "Why you here Em?"

"Couldn't get a hold of you on the phone so I came to check on you." She told him.

Monica slept for a while, curled up gently beneath the blankets. The lack of pain helped her to sleep deeper than she had in a long time.

After a while though the nightmare took hold as it always did but then time she struggled with waking up. Every detail of that night playing out once more as it always did.

Tilting his head he listened to something only he could hear. Standing he moved to the bedroom door, "Monica?" He called. When he didn't get a response he opened the door and moved over to her moving form. He placed a hand on her head so he could force her mind to relax and the dream to fade so she would drift deeper into sleep where the dreams couldn't reach her.

The nightmare, it was happening again. He was going to get her but then it started to fade. It was going away.

As the nightmare disappeared, she started to relax again. A soft sigh left her lips as she settled back into a comfortable sleep.

He leaned down to whisper into her ear, "Monica remember your wishes of the future," With that he left heading back out to where his sister was.

"Sounds like she has many needs at this point," She told him which he nodded in agreement to her.

Monica slept quietly, her expression even soft and her breathing content now. The future. Running like she used to for track when she was a kid, being able to see without pain. All the things that would have happened if the creature had not done as it did.

Dustin chatted with his sister some more before she left. He ordered some food while he waited for Monica to wake up.

Monica woke a little while later, she blinks and looks around a moment. Remembering where she was ,she sits up and pulls her shoes back on.

Gently she stepped from the room looking around. She smiles a bit when she saw him. "Hi." She says smiling a bit. She didn't feel so stiff, so tired like she usually did when she woke up. It was refreshing.

The male twisted slightly to blink at the woman who greeted him with a cheer he hadn't expected, "Good morning," It was around 9pm. A knock at the door made him walk over. Joe glared at him then pushed his way in. He carried two pizzas and a case of beer, "Sure come on in," He huffed at the male.

"I had to see your handy work. Been years since he has had the urge to help those that didn't really ask for it," Joe explained to Monica as he set the pies on the table, "I hope you like pizza and beer. Also I'm Joe not that feather butt would have told you."

"Joe I asked for the pies not the beer," He sighed.

Monica smiles a bit to him. She felt better than she had in a long time. It was hard to explain.

She blinks a little when the man came in. She recognized him from before when she had picked the pictures up. "I remember you from earlier. Nice to meet you again." She says.

Her stomach growled a little as she realized she hadn't eaten since lunch and she had barely eaten anything then nor had she eaten breakfast. Usually when she woke up she wasn't hungry. She was now.

"I love pizza."

Joe gave a happy grin at Dustin as if saying See? She likes me? The angel rolled his eyes as he made his way over to the table sat down on the couch and opened a beer after getting a slice of pizza.

"Pepperoni and cheese... One can never go wrong with such finery," Joe said with a blink, "So how do you feel? I see you are walking better and seem brighter in the cheeks as well." He leaned foward slighly as he got himself a new slice of pizza. Joe had a knack for eating and chatting at the same time. It was his specialty. If she was able to see him properly he had long dragon fly like wings as well as a pair of horns.

Back