[IC] Nomadium - The Nomad's Respite

Shiori blushed lightly. "Thanks..." She turned to the portal quickly "We should go now. I, uh, don't know how long I can hold it open so it's best we leave now." She turned her head to face Elnius "Maybe you and I can come here, and you could help me learn to the full extent what kind of flowers and other plants I can make in here." She quickly whispered a small incantation and the floating flowers slowly fell down to the ground and went back to the normal field of pink flowers it was when she first opened the portal. The sky turned day and she walked to the portal entrance. Looking back she smiled and waited for tthe others to come through.

Alethea couldn't help but chuckle ironically. She wasn't tall enough to stick her nose up high? She might as well be a giant, to the short and petite young woman. At the thought of her small stature, she felt her eyelid twitch in irritation. Pocket dimension spawners? Wing guys? Alethea was impressed, her height forgotten again for the time being. Mages really were something. "Wait, you work together? So, you don't just take jobs by yourselves all the time?"

Elnius picked up his box of potted plants that he had set down when he examined the flowers before he followed Shiori outside of the portal.

"Perhaps we could, but my abilities are rather limited. It's nothing fancy. That's why I make my living gardening. I don't come by here all to often."

"By ourselves? Only low paying ones" Tyvin didn't mean to be rude, but her tone made it sound obvious as she scooted closer to Alethea. "We're a guild, not a mini-community under Grandmaster Tyner. We work together or the world bends us over a table and goes to town. Any high paying job is usually too much for one person, and we don't like seeing each other become a gravestone, despite how much we annoy each other" She got up from her stool, gesturing around the room as she stood in front of the woman. "We're kind of like a family in a way... That family built upon so much incest that we look like a fucking circus"

Alethea watched Tyvin, soaking in her every word. So... they were like a family? She nodded in understanding. The word guild did imply cooperation, after all. "Families do stupid things to keep themselves together," Alethea spoke bitterly, finishing off her coffee and swerving around to look up at Tyvin. "But I see what you mean. In order to preserve mages, we work together to can accomplish things an individual cannot. A place for mages to live freely." Tilting her head as she made eye contact with the young woman before her, she said, "But you say you're... like a family? Is that really a good thing?"

"Magic is seen as a plauge, people are scared of our very existence. If we don't stick together, we fall beneath the cracks" she responded with a simple shrug, pulling out a small pile of paper from her satchel, it simply had a list of names; a majority were crossed out. "Family is always a good thing. A family sticks together, a family trusts one another, cares and protects. You mess with one of us, you mess with all of us. It ain't a matter of blood." Thee talk made Tyvin think to her mother, specifically to when the woman had abandoned her and her father in the dead of the night. "And those who turn their back on family, blood or not... They ain't family no more"

Alethea avoided Tyvin's gaze with a solemn nod. So when she left her family... that made her the wrong kind of person. Well... she'd just have to try harder, for the mages, people that wouldn't lock her in a room with needlepoint and expect her to act 'normal'. "So... if you abandon your own family, 'cause they're normal... can you still become family here?"

"What I mean is, many mages grew up with two parents for most of their life. But when they get magical, those parents turn their back on them. They go from mommy, to that bitch who calls herself your mother. To that bastard who assures you he's your father" Tyvin locked her eyes with Alethea, well, at least atempted too. Judging from Aletheas reaction she probably fell into one of the few categories for 'upbringing ends with tragedy'. "And when that mage leaves? That's not abandoning family, that's looking for your actual family. There isn't any shame in asking for those so called parents to respect you"

Tyvin leaned against the bar, looking down to Alethea. "Everyone's welcome to a fresh start here"

Tyvin's words lifted a burden from Alethea's chest. She stared at her hands as she listened. So... she hadn't done something wrong? This place... she really could belong here. The parents she left behind wouldn't miss her. In fact, they were probably glad to be rid of the burden of a mage in the household. The girl caught movement in the corner of her eye, and looked up to see Tyvin leaning against the bar. A single tear welled in her eye, but Alethea blinked it back quickly. Weakness. "...I see. Thanks, Tyvin." The corner of her mouth quirked upward as she said, "Are you sure you weren't hired to recruit? You'd be darn good at it."

"Am I? Or are you really gullible?" Tyvin shrugged with a laugh, patting the woman on the shoulder in a friendly manner. Of course, Tyvin's ego grew a bit that moment, the compliment going straight to her head. Maybe she should talk to Tyner about it, get some new blood! "I'm sure Im not that good at it" She raised her hand and swiped at the air, she was obviously fishing for more compliments. "Do you need anything?"

Gullible? Alethea sure didn't consider herself gullible, she just thought of herself as honest. "Oh, of course you are," she said, gesturing with her sleeves. "I just said so." Hearing her question, the girl, tapped her chin in thought. Well, she would've, if her sleeves weren't in the way, so instead she just tapped her sleeve against her face. "Well, I don't really know. I was trying to figure out how to swing a more difficult job by m'self, but I suppose I should just take someone with me, as you said." She smiled up at Tyvin happily. Things would be different now, she was sure of it.

She was going to go on her own? She must of been good if she was doing this beforehand. "I havn't looked at the job board yet myself, been too lazy too..." She chuckled, glancing at the board in question, before briefly having her gaze flicker over the strange events with Cato and co. Kids these days, just opening up pocket dimensions all willy nilly. "My last job had me fighting a troll, you?"

"Oh, um, okay." Shiori said as she moved to let Elnius pass. "Well, uh, it was nice seeing you." She blushed a bit with ambarassment.

Alethea raised an eyebrow, impressed. Trolls were no small business to the slight young woman. "Retrieval. Stolen goods from a rich family, didn't fancy losing their heirloom, I suppose."

"How did they treat you?" Tyvin chuckled, she'd had few run ins with those of the higher class than her own, only hearing jokes on how snoby people could be. "Did they even greet you? Or did they stand back and have the servants communicate in case you give them germs?" As she spoke Tyvin worked on sliding her glove back over her crystalised hand, the rough surface making it an annoying task.

"When I do come back, I'll make sure to ask you about your flowers though."

He smiled, glad to have made a friend here at the Nomad's Respite where he usually felt out of place.

Alethea rolled her eyes. "Oh, they greeted me. At the far end of a long room. Anything I handled came from a really skinny old guy who smelled funny." She made a face, disgusted by the memory. "But it paid decently, so I can't complain. They at least didn't look at me like I'm an urchin, since my robe looks kinda fancy."

"Well, you'll find plenty of smelly old guys here!" Tyvin threw her head back to laugh as she still struggled with her glove, she swore she was going to end up ripping the bloody thing sometime soon. "What happened to the heirloom? Someone Steal it?"

Cato watched Elnius and Shiori interact. They were both pretty into flowers, him not so much. So he let them be, and let his own mind wonder. Shiori's ability, at least in this realm, is nothing short of powerful, it was almost like being the God of her own world. That's pretty damn badass, in his opinion, no matter how much she tries to downplay her magic as useless. It was not the first time he had seen this before, though. Throughout his traveling in many sights and places, he had met several other mages that have abilities unheard of. When he was fourteen he had met a man who can literally create something out of nothing from his mind. It was how Cato got his idea of making the wind dagger, by watching him fight. The magic, however, was so powerful that it ate at him every time he used it. Shiori's magic was only slightly different. The way he see it, this world was her limiter. She can create anything she wanted, with one condition: as long as it stayed inside this space. He wondered if one day she too will be able to create things in the real world. Theoretically, it was possible, but it would put so much strain on her frail young body. He silently hoped her magic item doesn't cover that.

If he's going to classify this type of magic according to his father's classification scheme, this type of power would be creation magic. And as a result of her limiter--- her pocket dimension--- she was able to use it for travel and storage. That's actually pretty neat. He made a mental note to write that in his notebook for later.

When Shiori said they have to go, Cato almost missed it. He wasn't looking at her so he didn't see her lips moving, and the wind not being fully in his control made it even harder to pick up the texture of the sounds. For the first time in ten years, he felt vulnerable. Deaf.

This place is beautiful, but he can't help but like it a little less.

Alethea couldn't help but laugh at Tyvin's comment, although she didn't look forward to meeting smelly old guys. "Yeah, a maid that used to work for them. She was pretty good, not bad at all." She shrugged, recalling the woman's thieving skills. Looking at Tyvin, she blinked, noticing her struggling with her glove. That thing must be so complicated to get on and off, what with the crystal resisting it. "Would you like some help?" She offered, blinking quickly. She'd hate for the girl to rip her glove or hurt herself.

Back