[IC] The Expedition Department

Rachel Rider

Smol Turtle Girl
The warm glow of Gloz light up the cave with a multicolored warmth, the cave and it’s surrounding ledges spilling with the hues. Inside, one could find a large number of people from all races, socializing and scheming for their next expedition. The tables were large, designed so that they could easily sit all the races relatively comfortably, sloping so that Gloz wouldn’t have to stoop and Esky wouldn’t need stools. You could feel the excitement buzzing in the room, the atmosphere was that of daring curiosity. Numerous treasures were displayed on the stone shelves, from strange warped metal with bits of wire sticking out to a beautiful pile of colored glass beads. Some had prices, while others simply had signs that said not to touch. And overseeing it all was the board of explorers. They weren’t really set apart, as they all kind of blended in. They were each the most experienced delver of their race, and their hearts belonged to The Gorge and discovering its secrets. Ivaer, the Gloz board member floated around, welcoming new faces and greeting old friends, and generally being the kindest she could be. Piefa, the Esky, sat behind a desk, working hard on a new invention, going to and and from her notes that lay strewn around the desk, the floor, and everywhere in between. Jehan, the Wali, stood in an overgrown corner as he watched over the group with a careful eye, making sure that the newbies weren’t causing trouble and that the Veterans were being civil. Ageoh, the Krua, was taking part in a betting game where he would win treasures based on who could make the highest stone tower.

Mystic hung up a small wooden target on a spike protruding from the cave. Grabbing her bow, she checked her surrounding to make sure no creature of which the Esky got along with was going to get hit by an arrow. As she docks an arrow, she hears a noise. It is not the sound of a Krua, Wali, or Gloz. It defintly isn't an Esky either. Stepping out of the cave, with her bow set and sword ready. Spotting a creature with glowing yellow eyes for slits, and a face like that of a lion, Mystic fires her arrow. It hits her target and she goes to the creature, her eyes wide at the horror of who she had just killed.

Jocra hovered in the corner, his eyes flitting back and forth from creature to creature as he tried to make himself as invisible as possible. He didn’t know why he had come here in the first place, but by this point it was too late to change his mind as the entrance to the cave was already to crowded to slip past. To be honest he would have much rather stayed in his own little home, but alas he was stuck in this noisy, crowded, and way to social situation.

Rozua shuffled around the room his eyes alight with curiousity as he examined each and everyone of the treasures on display. They were all so amazing, so sparkly, so intreasting, and Rozua’s hand slid to the pocket where he kept his stones, a smile creeping onto his face. He had finally decided to go on an expedition, and though he was hesitant at first now he was practically beaming with excitement.

Last edited:
Ivear noticed someone in a corner, which to her was always a sign of loneliness. Floating over, she gave a smile to the Gloz. “Heyo! I noticed you seemed to be kind of lonely over here.” She said, still up in the air. It seemed rather strange that this Gloz was on the ground, since floating was the best part of being a Gloz to her.

Mystic lets a tear fall, gently scooping up the dead Rezir. Running carefully to the cave, she made sure she had all her tools. Bursting through the crowd, she appeared at the foot of Piefa's desk. Mystic cried, "Piefa! I killed a Rezir. Now I feel horrible for killing such a beautiful creature." Tears fall down her face, the Rezir in her hands, lifted over her head.

Piefa looked at Mystic and the creature in her hands. Yup, it was a wandering male. “Eh, it’s alright. He was lost, probably came from a larger group. It’s tough for male Rezir, and besides, the horns are good for hooks and whatnot.” She said, shrugging it off. She has always known Mystic to be a bit softer than most, no doubt any other Esky would be estatic to get such a high quality Rezir horn. “If you don’t want it, I could use the horn on my latest digger, tryna get it to not break when it hits something harder than sandstone.”

Mystic wiped the tears from her eyes and nodding, handed the Rezir to Piefa. A short while later, she looked around the cave. Spotting a lonely loooking male Gloz and Ivaer, Mystic walked toward them, her eyes still coated with tears. Sitting down, on a small boulder, she put her head in her hands and looked upset at the crime she had committed.

Jocra yelped as from seemingly nowhere another Gloz appeared beside him, asking if he was lonely. He looked up at their concerned face as he floated above him and then he glanced at his feet nervously. “I am fine.” He muttered not very convincingly, and before he could make his escape yet another creature joined them, making it nearly impossible to get away.

Rozua chuckled as he noticed Jocra get cornered and he shook his head with a smirk. He then turned back around to continue looking at the treasures.

Last edited:
Excitement blossomed in the Expedition Department and Sonny could barely contain himself as he strode into the cave. All around him people seemed to be preparing themselves for adventure and he was keen to join in on the action. It wasn’t his first time paying the department a visit, the expeditions had been on his mind for years now, but he was determined this time was going to be the one. He would venture into the unknown.

He always loved to look at the treasures, see what new ones had been added and think of all the hidden riches that were still out there. Sonny headed to them now, starting to a float, his helium sack inflated and deflated with anticipation causing him to bob up and down like a young glozling still learning to fly. The past times he’d come to this place looking for an expedition he’d been turned down. Twice in fact; the first time he was too young for the group and his flying wasn’t to their standards, the second time was almost a success, but in his great excitement on his way out of the department he’d managed to swat a treasure from where it stood on its display shelf. The plaster figurine smashed into a thousand pieces and the group had found another gloz to take his place while he was cleaning his mess and profusely apologising.

This time, though, his flying had gotten considerably better and he’d been working hard on maintaining his composure and not letting his clumsiness get the best of him. This was something that was quite challenging to do, especially when one was lost in thought – as Sonny was presently.

Not seeing the tiny reptilian in front of him, Sonny collided with Jocra. The gloz toppled over with a yelp.

“Oh my goodness I am terribly sorry!” he said and sprang back up onto his feet, placing a reassuring hand onto the Krua’s shoulder. “Are you alright?’

Ivear smiles at him, oblivious to that fact he clearly doesn’t want to talk. “You want some help getting to know people? I know basicly everyone here. For instance,” turning in the direction of Mystic “Hey Mystic! Why don’t you come say hi to this fellow over here?” She called, waving as she spilled some of her spores so that they lit up the area with a blue-white glow.

Jehan looked at the Gloz who had run into the Krua. This looked like it could escalate, he knew many a Krua who would start a fight over something petty. The vines started to grow a bit as he watched, waiting for something to happen.

Rozua let out a yelp as he was knocked over by an absent minded Gloz. Quickly getting back to his feet Rozua quickly gathered all of his stones that had tumbled out of his pockets. “I’m fine I’m fine” he quickly assured the Gloz as he continued to scurry around trying to gather the seemingly endless amount of stones. He had brought them all in hopes to impress some of his teammates when he went on the expedition. Finally putting the last stone in his pocket and turning to face the Gloz, he stuck out a clawed hand. “My name is Rozua” he introduced with a smile.

Jocra sighed and his gave became more nervous, and he began to edge away from the overally cheerful Gloz.

Last edited:
Lifting her head off of her hands, in an attempt to be less sad, Mystic smiled at Ivear, "Hey, Ivear. How are you? Greetings Ivear's friend. I'm Mystic, an Esky." She hoped she didn't look sad anymore, but knowing Ivear's mood, she would be trying to comfort Mystic in less time it took the Esky to scale a cliff. Sighing quietly, she tried to remain happy, but it was to no avail. Her mood remained low and depressed.

Sonny scolded himself internally, this was exactly the type of thing that he was trying to avoid this time around. Nevertheless you could see the tension fall away from the Gloz's shoulders as he noted with relief the outstretched hand and smiling face of his new acquaintance.

"I'm Sonny," He shot back a wide smile of his own and firmly grasped the krua's hand, "Pleased to meet you."

A rather spectacular stone that was being exhibited on the shelf caught Sonny's eye. The stone itself was a cool grey but embedded in it were many small chips of gemstone. He approached it. The effect was such that the gems reflected the room's light back at the viewer, splitting the colours into their primary components in a dazzling rainbow effect. Sonny waved Jocra over.

"Wow, this one wasn't here last time - check that out! Imagine bringing a rock like that back here, you'd be rich."

Ivear frowned. Mystic looked rather down today, she was usually happy. Floating over to her side, The Gloz gave a concerned look.. "Is something wrong? You look sad, did something happen?" she asked tentatively. Meanwhile, Piefa was busily using the Rezir horn in many strange ways on her contraption, seemingly oblivious to the harm her comment may have caused. In the corner, Jehan sat Idly watching the Gloz take a look at a rather interesting find that had been brought in recently. He remembered that this one had knocked an artifact over once, so he watched with a careful eye.

Mystic replied, "I killed a Rezir and now I feel bad." She hung her head, her sorrow lingering above her. If only her eyes could see more clearly, the Rezir wouldn't be dead. She hated being the best Esky hunter on this expedition. If only she hadn't volunteered to go on this trip, she could be up by the Ledge dreaming of what laid beyond.

Rozua smiled warmly saying, “I am Jocra and I know! I would love to have a rock like that in my collection!” He exclaimed grinning like an idiot. He turned back around to face the rock and looking a bit closer he said, “You know, that’s actually an Opal geode, see how it is like a dome and is almost hollow on the inside save for the pearly gems.” He explained leaning a little closer to point at the features he was mentioning. Rozua was not only a collector of rocks he was also fascinated by them, often studying the different types he had found himself.

Jocra looked toward the Esky who had introduced herself as mystic and so as not to seem rude he quietly said, “I’m Jocra”. His voice was rather faint and barely audible against the noisy crowd, and when he spoke his voice came out as almost a melody, each word sounding if they had been sung rather then spoken.

Last edited:
"It's okay! The poor guy was probably lost, and would have died a worse death. Think of it as giving it mercy!" She said, trying to console the crying Mystic. Poor girl. "And Jocra, you're not getting off the hook! Come over here, I'll get us some Vena salad. Anyone want anything else?" She announced, determined to make sure that the Gloz's social life was up to her standards.

Jocra actually jumped as the other Gloz caught him trying to escape and put a quick stop to that. “I don’t want any, thank you..” he whispered quietly each word like part of a song. Jocra didn’t like how demanding the other Gloz was being, but at the moment he had no choice but to agree.

Lifting her head, Mystic felt like hugging her Gloz friend. But it was too late, for the Gloz had disappeared, taking her light with her. Feeling slightly better, Mystic stood and watched the others go about their tasks. Being the curious soul that she was, Mystic took an arrow and begin picking at the wall of the cave, discovering she could make markings. As she did this, a picture began to form. Soon, the etching was complete and Mystic was content with her creation.

“Now, now Ivear, poor Gloz is shakin’ like mad,” Rei announced boisterously. The slender Wali strutted up to the group and leaned against the cave wall. He brushed some dust from his copper fur and idly checked his fingernails for grime. “If we’re gonna work together,” he said, drawing the cloth wrap from his face to rest around his neck. “Then we don’t wanna scare the lights off this one,” he flashed a grin at the two Gloz.

Back