Land Down Under (KJDarKnight & Treasure)

Mathias admired the workmanship m, feeling the smoothness with his fingers. This must have taken her ages to make.

"Alright. You win" he smiled and looked up at her "teach me your ways weapons master"

--

It was strange to see this shy side of him. He always seemed so confident. The strong silent type.
"How could I not like you?" She countered and laid her head back against his chest again, listening to him

She gave him an odd look. "You think it is good?" she asked cautiously. "You want me to teach you?"

~~

"Because I'm a grumpy pessimistic jerk who tends to be the one pointing out all the faults," Jonah said without missing a beat.

"Yes" he said in answer to both "you do really good work. I'm impressed" he praised "we can learn a lot from you"

--

She laughed a little "you're not a jerk. Just..a realist" she said, spinning it in a different light "you have a good kind heart under your shell"

Arena didn't know how to take the compliment. "I will teach you," she finally said. "If you will teach me about good humans?"

~~

He smiled a little and shyly kissed the top of her head. "Just don't tell the others, alright? I like my tough shell."

Mathias smiled "deal" he said with a nod "best I can anyway"

-

She smiled "our little secret" she promised and sighed contently, feeling happier than she ever remembered being. Someone loved her. Jonah loved her

Arena looked down at her knife and turned it over in her hand. Then she held it out to him again.

~~

Jonah smiled and held her close. Now that he wasn't terrified she was going to die, he was acutely aware of her bare skin pressed against his. Maybe he should put some clothes on and urge her to do the same... Maybe in a minute. This felt incredibly good, and what harm would it do to enjoy that for just a bit?

He raised a brow taking the knife and inspected it more carefully "what is this part?" He pointed to the flint.

--

Misty certainly didn't seem to mind, normally she would be self conciouse about the situation but she was too happy to care and just savored the time with him, afraid it was all just a dream

"The flint blade," she told him. "Flint is.. is a rock. It breaks, shatters, into sharp, sharp shards."

~~

Jonah was content to stay as they were for now and stroked her hair lightly. Gray... he's have to thank Gray and especially Justira later. He made a note to remember that later.

He nodded and examined it "where do you find it" he held it back out to her "we certainly need more knives." They only had his the kitchen ones

--

Misty soon fell back asleep resting against him

She thought for a minute then shrugged. "I will find more here so we do not have to go back. It is a long journey. The mountain hides the stones."

he nodded "Good, do that" he smiled "When I am feeling better I can help you look too" he offered. he did not like sitting around, not at all. But Pepper and the others were right, he needed to rest or risk getting more sick than he already was

She gave a sharp nod. "While you rest, you will learn arrows," she said decisively. "Harder to make, yes, but easier to make when sitting. Bows are much more work. Arrows are restful." She shrugged. "Restful when you are used to them. You would like to do something, right?"

"I would yes, I do not like sitting around doing nothing" he confirmed and sat upright a little more "What do we need?" he asked, clearly eager to be useful doing something. literally anything at this point

Arena smiled and stood. "Wait. I will get it for you." She walked away, leaving the cave briefly. She was gone a surprisingly short amount of time before returning with several straight, thin branches only a little wider around than her finger. She placed those down by him then picked out several pigeon feathers. She sat cross-legged in front of him and pulled out several triangular stones.
"I pick these up whenever I see them," she explained. "Is hard to find good heads. These feathers are not best, but they will do for practice." She then picked out an arrow and handed it to him. "Best way to learn is to study the way it is right."

he nodded and accepted the arrow, examining every detail about it, the thickness, the weight, the way the stones and feathers were attached, the length, every detail he could think to pay attention to "Why not use flint to make arrowheads? wouldn't they be sharper?"

She nodded. "Yes, and I have some that are, but it is not as easy to attach or work with, so I save them for special times."

he nodded "That makes sense" he said and looked up from the arrow "So... Where do we start then?" he asked, sure he could make some attempts on his own but following her lead sounded like a better idea

Arena handed him a stick and took one for her own. "First make sure no bits are sticking up, no... uh..." She showed him the bump where she'd broken off a smaller branch. "None of these." She used her knife to cut thos parts off. "Then use flat part to smooth it straight." She used the flat of her knife and started rhythmically rubbing it up and down the branch, turning it as she did so.

Mathias took out his knife again and picked up one of the sticks and started mimicking how she worked. He had at least worked with wood before so he had that in his favor as he gently carved away the nodes and bark then used the blunt side to smooth the wood, he liked to work with wood, it was soothing

Arena took her time, not rushing her work, but her hands were still quick. She had done this a lot in her short years.

~~

Badru went to find and speak to Pepper.

Back