Land Down Under (KJDarKnight & Treasure)

"Kind of..winging it" he smirked "pun not intended" he said "but I was thinking some rosemary would be good" he told her, not much of a plan but this was all new to him too

--

Pepper nodded "I can understand that...being different is a scary thing" she said as if she knew but didn't elaborate "I'll bring you some food when it's done"

"That sounds great!" Lynna said as if she remembered which leafy twig was rosemary. "What are you going to do, stuff it inside?"

~~

Gray nodded and smiled, hoping Pepper could understand his greatfulness.

"Thinking I could stuff the inside with potatoes and onions" he said and put the herbs inder the skin to season it all" he explained, coming up with more ideas as he talked about it

Lynna eyed the tiny (relatively speaking) pigeon. "I think you are going to need a bigger bird to fit all that in there," she stated. "It sounds terrific, though!"

"I think it will work. These potatoes aren't very big" he picked one up "one per bird and some chopped onion..." he was still confident "won't know till we try"

"Okay," Lynna said, still not convinced. How was he going to get that potato in the cavity? Then how was it going to stay in while it cooked? Despite her doubts, though, she volunteered, "I'll chop some onions."

Charlie seemed to have a plan in mind "great! Here" he fetched another knife for her and handed off an onion before getting to shopping the potatoes.

Between the two of them they got the birds stuffed up and herbs rubbed. He'd used some sharp sticks as toothpicks to try and pin the end closed. Seemed to hold. Time would show if it worked.

"Well if this works we will have ourselves a dancy little feast"

"This is true," Lynna said, impressed in spite of herself. "I can't believe you got all that up those tiny rumps."

Badru and Areana returned, then, with three more pigeons, four partridges, and two rabits. Successful hunting!

Charlie grinned but didn't answer as Badru and Arena returned "just in time Badru, Arena. We can get those plucked and skinned while food cooks" he offered, sure that Lynna wouldn't mind lending a hand

They needed all the furs and feathers they could get to make warmer bedding

"Did you check the traps?" Mathias asked from where he sat. Resting but awake

"You caught a rat and two rabbits," Arena told him.

Badru handed over his catch to Lynna, and Arena handed hers to Charlie before going to check on her wolf.

"Good...hopefully we start getting larger game..." the really needed the furs and the meat too. For now. It would keep them going.

Charlie set right to work preparing the animals

---

Misty started to wake up again as the pill was wearing off, her body temperature was normal again too which was good

"I guess we could always hunt wolves," Lynna whispered to Charlie.

Arena walked over to Mathias and sat near him. She didn't look at him or speak, just sat and started looking over her gear. A bow and arrow had appeared from somewhere, and she carefully looked over each arrow.

~~

Jonah brightened when he felt Misty stir. "Hey," he murmured. "Good morning. Well, afternoon, sort of."

Charlie smirked "think someone would have our hides if we did that" he said, glancing towards Arena briefly

Mathias watched the woman a moment "can you teach me how to male a bow?" He asked nodding to her weapon.

--

She smiled a little "Hey" she answered "you...saved me" she saif softly and looked up at him, but otherwise not moving. She was comfortable where she was

"Maybe not. Our hides aren't very warm," Lynna said, trying to hide her laughter at the disturbing thought. That should not be as funny as it was!

Arena grunted in agreement. "Takes patience," she told him. "Good to make in winter when snow holds you still."

~~

Jonah found himself blushing. "Badru helped," he mumbled self-consciously. "But, yeah, I did find you." His arms tightened around her just a little. "I was scared I wouldn't."

Charlie chuckled softly "good point" it was an amusing yet..yes disturbing thought but he shook it off.

Mathias nodded "well sounds about perfect timing then with winter coming along

--

"You...care that much about me?" She asked, studying his face. She was never sure where she stood with people and doubted her own instinct too

"Arrows harder than bow. Bow take longer - takes longer," she corrected herself, "but arrows are easier to make wrong."

~~

"Of course I do!" Jonah said stoutly before he could think about it. "I lo-" he choked. "We... all lo... care about you," he finished weakly. Curse him! He was such a coward. He watched her face anxiously.

"Makes sense..from what I know about bows" he said "I am guessing you taught yourself?"

--

Misty listened to him and saw how his face fell when he couldn't say it. She knew that feeling all to well and if her misadventure taught her anything it was that life is too short to hold back. So before she fell back into old habits and forgot that again. She started to blush even before she said the words "I love you too"

She nodded. "I remembered pictures when I was little." A ghost of a smile flitted across her face. "My first bows were trash."

~~

Jonah froze, staring at her. She said... she said those... She said the words! He swallowed hard and tried to make his lips move. "I... I love you," he croaked out, barely able to make the words leave his mouth.

"Well. We all have to start somewhere. My first knife was garbage" he smirked and pulled put his hunting knife "not too shabby now..course I don't have the materials to make another" he offered the hilt to her if she wanted to look at it closer.

--

She smiled, finding it kind of cute hoe he struggled to say it. "You don't have to say it. You show me in your actions...I was just too blind to see"

Arena accepted the knife and looked it over. She tested the blade and the joints cautiously before nodding and handing it back to him. "Is a good blade," she said. She pulled out her knife and displayed it. It was made from bone and black flint, and it should have looked very rudimentary, but she'd worked hard to smooth every edge and rim until the two elements flowed together into one wickedly sharp blade with a faint wave on the surface.

~~

Jonah looked away bashfully. "I didn't think you'd be interested in someone like me. I thought it was always a bad time to aproach you, and even if I did, you were going to tell me no."

Back