Land Down Under (KJDarKnight & Treasure)

Peter was soon up and walking in "dad came to get me" he explained.

Misty watched them but said nothing. No idea what was going on.

Allen walked right up to her "I came to see how you were" he reached up as if to caress her face but she flinched away and stepped back, glancing briefly up the ladder

"Oh, I see," Gray said with a fixed smile. "Misty brought a broken radio to fix. Will you look at it and see if you can figure out what is wrong?" He turned to Misty. "Stay with him, please."

Badru scowled, his hands dropping down to his sides. Whatever this was, it did not look right. He was resiting his instincts to step in, but it was difficult. He was a stranger here. He did not know Grounder's traditions and ways of doing things, but this woman seemed trapped, terrified, and looking for a way out. If nothing changed, he was going to step in and damn the consequences.

Peter nodded and took a seat. Always happy to help. He was a good kid. Nothing like his asshole father.

Misty gave a nod too "sure I can so that.."

--

"Go away Allen" she said, trying to find her strength but her words faltered.

"Go away?" He repeated as if it were some sort of joke. He didn't pay any mind to Badru.

Pepper didn't say more until she spotted Gray in the doorway "that's what I said Allen" she said with a bit more strength behind her words. "Stay away from Peter and me. He doesn't need you"

Gray all but slid down the ladder but stopped at the bottom. He waited, eyes narrowed, watching Pepper. Badru was closer, so if anything happened, he'd get there first, but Pepper needed this. He managed a smile to Pepper and nodded. She was doing good!

Badru drew back slightly as the woman started to speak. Oh, good, she'd found her voice. Maybe he wasn't needed after all.

"You can't keep me from my son bitch!" He practically growled.

Gray's little smile helped give her courage, remembering his words.

"Watch me" she snapped back. He raised a hand but her fist flew first right into his face despite him being taller than her. He stumbled back in shock. She didn't wait for him to figure it out, kicking him in the stomach to double him over then brought his head into her knee and shoved him over. Her sprained wrists throbbed but she ignored that "stay the fuck away from me and my son!" Her hands shook now with the adrenaline. Mathias had taught her to fight but fighting that mental demon was the first hurtle before she could do it physically to the reak monster.

Gray broke out into a grin, silently applauding her. Now that was the Pepper he loved to see! Good girl!

Badru was hugely impressed by her display. He raised his brow and gave the tiniest of nods. A well-executed attack. He hoped the poor sod was smart enough not to try to get back up after that.

The poor sod was a stupid sod. Manipulative and slimy but far to cocky. "Fucking bitch!" He started to get up but Pepper kicked him in the face so he fell flat on his back "stay down!" She stomped right were it counted.

He gasped, a silent cry, eyes bulging. Mathias had taught her to fight but Allen had taught her not to stop until he pleaded. There was a good chance she wouldn't stop until someone stepped in

Badru and Gray both winced. Neither of them felt any sympathy for Allen, but being males, they both felt his pain.

Gray finally stepped in. He walked over to Pepper and touched her arm gently, quickly moving back in case she mistook him for a threat.

She didn't go after him but stepped back, shocked at herself "I..didn't know I could do that" she said quietly, backing away from him now

Gray patted her shoulder with a smile. "You did very good, but now it is time to stop. You are not him. You do not torment people. Only defend yourself," he said, keeping on eye on Allen.

Pepper nodded a little and seemed to relax, not realizinf how tense she had been "thank you I....I needed your encouragement" she said and let put a breath "what do we do with him now?"

Gray eyed the prone man. Hmm, what to do? He looked up at the giant Badru. "Do you know where he lives?" he asked Pepper. "We could get Badru to take him there."

She nodded "yes I know where he lives...rather throw him to the surface and let the wild take him" she said bitterly "I don't know how to ask Badru to take him anywhere"

"Misty will know. I'll go send her down," Gray said before hurrying up the ladder. He gave a whistle when he was most of the way up to catch her attention.

Pepper nodded and watched him go, glancing at her hands now, they were shaking and her wrists hurt more than before from the excessive use and tension.

Allen had curled up on himself, silently cursing the woman. Next time he'd kill her

Badru eyed Pepper for a moment then gave a deep-throated grunt of approval. While men and women in his world usually followed the more traditional rolls, men who picked on women were considered the lowest of the low, only slightly above those that hurt children. Women were the backbone of the settlements. Yes, men went out and did the fighting, hunting, and a lot of the farm work, but without someone to stay home and look after the place... there would be no home to return to.

Gray caught Misty's attention and quickly signed, "We need you to talk to Badru for a minute, and quickly, please."

(Oops forgot Misty my bad)

Pepper looked up when he made a noise, getting the feeling he approved too.

Misty nodded "right uh.." she got up "Peter stay here" she said before following Gray, finding that coming down was harder than going up one handed though

Badru looked up when he heard Little Water Droplet coming down. When she was close enough, he reached up and picked her up, easily setting her on the ground and saving her a few rungs.

Gray made it down next, watching Badru. Impressive. He moved aside and pointed to the prone man. "He needs to go home."

Misry eeped a little in surprise at being picked up. That was a new sensation that made her heart flutter for a second. "Oh uh right" she looked up at Badru. One look at Pepper and she guessed the issue. "Bring?" she pointed at Allen "follow?"

Badru scowled at the man, but he nodded reluctantly. He reached down and scooped up Allen, swinging him over his shoulder with one arm. This was easier than carrying a sack full of vegetables. The man bent in a much more comfortable way around his shoulder, making it easier to balance him.

"I will show Badru the way," Gray signed. "Could you tell him please, Misty? Pepper, you can tell me the way?"

Back