Land Down Under (KJDarKnight & Treasure)

Mathias stood up after the hands were bound, holding a hand to his ribs. Kept up like this and he would rupture his lung again

"Thanks Badru..."

"Now you sit," Badru said, pointing to a chair. "You are injured." He looked down at Allen squirming on the floor. "He stinks of shadows."

Mathias eased down into the chair "Pepper" he called, knowing she was likely worried, especially after hearing the gunshots.

She emerged a moment later, Peter in her arms, his face hidden against her shoulder and covering his ears.

"I've got an emergency radio in the back, tell them to send someone to collect your ex, maybe bring a straight jacket. then stay in your room with Peter, he doesn't need to see any of this"

Pepper nodded and quickly went back into his office space and called it in

Badru waited for Pepper and Peter to leave then picked Allen up. He turned the man around, peering at his head and all over. Finally, he set him back down. "Who speaking to?" he demanded bluntly.

Allen glared at him "Untie me you stupid beast!" Allen barked at him rather than answer his question

Mathias frowned "put a sock in it dick, be glad I'm not chopping it off"

Allen glared but did fall silent at least except to say "You will pay for this Mathias, mark my words" he said glaring at the two men keeping him bound on the floor

"He spoke to someone," Badru grumbled. "Who?"

The shadows hung heavy on Allen, then they started drawing away, shying away from the giant. "Intruder, no. No, we don't like him. He senses us! We can't stay. We will play later, sad little man. Not the giant!" they hissed angrily, fearfully, and despondantly then disappeared from Allen. There was soon nothing but regular, ordinary shadow.

Mathias shook his head "himself probably....he has just lost his mind. not surprising" Mathias said "he's always been a bit off..." he sighed, never did like the guy even before he started beating on his sister.

it wasn't long after that the authorities came up to take Allen away. After Mathias explained how he had come in and attacked unprovoked and showed the bullet holes and his own grazed injury, they took him off to be dealt with, they didn't ask about Pepper or the boy but were informed someone would be coming by the next day to talk to them. for now, it looked like they could rest easy

Badru scowled at Mathias. "This place... it is too big. Not good for proper law."

~~

Elsewhere in the darkness, near Gray's house, a clump of shadows deepened, darkened, became solid. Gray lay panting, even whiter than usual. He lay motionless for a long moment before cautiously testing himself. Yes, he was whole once more. Gasping softly in pain, he rolled onto his knees then emptied the contents of his stomach.

Close. He had been so close to losing absolute control! It could have been a disaster. Well, even worse of one. He forced himself to his feet and wobbled to his house. A few minutes later, he walked down to the shack where Lynna sat fiddling with a stick and stone.

"Well, look who finally decided to join us!" she said, exasperated, as she stood up. Then she took stock and frowned. "You look terrible. Are you alright?"

Gray smiled and nodded his assurance. "Thank you for staying. Pepper and Peter are safe now."

"Oh, that's good. Okay, then, I'm off!" Lynna gave a wave then bounded away.

Shakily, Gray eased himself down onto the spot she'd vacated and closed his eyes. His very fibers felt sore and painful. Like the worst headache ever all over his entire body.

Mathias sighed "I agree but...Right now we just need to play by the rules" he explained "at least he shouldn't bother Pepper anymore...so I will take it as a victory"

--

Sometime in the night, Justira cracked open the door to see if Gray was out there or if he had gone home, not sure if he was meant to keep watch physically all night or what

Badru grunted then turned away. He would not trust this strange law system to look after Pepper. So he would do it for them. Someone needed to guard the little boy until he was old enough to guard himself.

~~

Gray still sat on the rock, his back leaned against the shed. He had fallen asleep there, but from the drawn brows and the frown, it was not a restful sleep.

Justira quietly stepped outside, bringing a spare blanket with her and holding another around her shoulders to keep out the chill.

Gently she draped the blanket over Gray before sitting beside him. Sometimes when the little ones had bad dreams, just the presence of another person could quietly calm them. Maybe it would help Gray sleep better too

Gray twitched slightly at the touch of the blanket. He shifted then quieted a little. After a few moments, his eyes opened and he blinked in confusion. Oh... he'd fallen asleep. He sat up, wincing, and looked around. Justira's presence made him jump a little.

Juatira felt him move so looked up "I'm sorry" she signed "you looked restless. I thought sitting with you might help" she explained "I can go back in..." she didn't want to make him uncomfortable at all

Gray smiled tiredly and shook his head. "Thank you for coming out and sitting with me. And Thank you for the blanket. I enjoy your company, but this rock is not very comfortable."

She smiled, he enjoyed her company? The was nice to "hear" she never was sure "I enjoy your company too" she said, blushing faintly "come inside. You are mute. I am deaf. My brother won't notice" she reasoned. Might at least be a little more comfortable

Gray smiled and nodded in agreement. He folded the blanket and forced himself to stand. His knees shook a little but held him. He stepped up and opened the door for her, allowing Justira to enter first. His fingers did not want to work, but he smiled through it, hiding it.

Try to hide all he wanted, Tira had a sense for these things. Whence inside she patted a spot for him to sit "don't deny it. Something is wrong. How can I help?" She signed with a concerned expression

Gray gingerly sat then shook his head to Justira. "Thank you for your concern, but I am afraid this is something that needs to pass on its own. I will be alright by tomorrow." He settled back carefully. "Are you feeling well? I have something I wished to talk to you about."

Ahe nodded back "i am doing quite well...i can talk. If you're not too tired. Don't push yourself too much" she sighed to him, still looking concerned but not pressing the matter

Gray was touched by her concern, but he just smiled and nodded as was his usual response. "My place does not have much room, but it has a much better bed, shower, and kitchen than this place. I am not home much, but my work is not far. I think you and your brother would be far more comfortable there."

Back