Land Down Under (KJDarKnight & Treasure)

she blushed a little and smiled, glad it wasn't one sided, she had been worried when he didn't respond right away "Then maybe it is fate we came here" she signed

--

"His lungs, I think they got infected" she said, which likely meant he was stubbornly not taking the antibiotics he had been given, he didn't like the more modern medicines, he claimed the earth provided what they needed and putting chemicals in him didn't help anything.

Gray felt she meant something a little more than he did, but he was scared to ask. He considered his answer then nearly jumped out of his skin as a series of beeps sounded in his ear. He held up a finger to tell her to wait then spun around to start making notes. Saved by the beep?

~~~

"How help?" Badru asked seriously.

She of course didn't hear anything but she saw it in his eyes, she was being to forward. She would wait though and look down at her hands and idly twisted the ties to the laced up front of the dress, biting her lip. Why was it people always pulled away? Faelar tried to protect her from it but she knew her clan didn't like her, she knew they had thrown her out as a distraction, she didn't need to hear to see that.

--

"Can you bring Mathias to the washroom?" Pepper asked, putting him a cool bath rather than using a bowl of cold water might do more good but she wasn't strong enough on her own to do that without causing more issues

Gray finished then turned back to Justira. When he caught her attention, he signed, "Sorry. That was from the next closest town, which is not very close. He wanted to know if we were still doing well. Apparently, they had been having some problems." He felt it was safe to tell her that. It was vague enough that if, as some would try to claim, she intended to use the information in a bad way, she couldn't do anything with it.

~~

Badru nodded and walked into Mathias' room. The man did not look well. He leaned over and carefully scooped Mathias up, trying not to twist him or shake him. He turned and carried the unconscious man to the bathroom and laid him gently in the tub.

she shook her head a little "Don't worry, it's your job. I understand" she signed back and smiled faintly "I should go so you can focus" she added, withdrawing from what they had been talking about.

--

Pepper followed him in and got the cold water turned on before making sure his head was propped up enough on towels to keep him above water, he groaned but didn't wake up

"You can stay, if you want," Gray offered. "Only I fear you would be bored. It is not very interesting work."

~~

Badru stood over Pepper, watching her and waiting for instructions while they waited for the doctor.

she offered a small smile "I'll just be in your way. I'll see you in 6-8 hours?"

--
Pepper used a rag to dab cold water on his face and for head, she showed Badru "Keep him cold" she told him before she left again to try and find where he might of hidden those stupid pills.
He wasn't left long with Mathias before Peter was showing the doctor in

Gray nodded. "Do not hesitate to come if you need anything at all. Rest well!"

~~

Badru patiently kept Mathias cold and turned only a little to give the doctor a seriously suspicious look. Why hadn't this doctor healed him properly?

Justira only gave him a nod before she quietly slipped out.

She didn't even look at her brother before she went right into that back room where she felt the most at home. Faelar frowned, he knew when his sister was upset and also knew when she needed space. He sighed and just sat watch by the door, she would come out when she was ready.

--

the doctor glanced at Peter to translate "Badru, let him help now" he said nodding to the doctor, not understanding Badru's suspicion

Badru grunted and stepped back out of the room, but he stayed where he could see. He did not trust these doctors.

The doctor checked his vitals first then listened to his breathing, frowning.
"Has he been taking his pills?" the doctor asked without turning around.

"No... just found them" Pepper said, coming to the door holding the bottle

"Well that explains it... I'll give him a heavy dose now and something to help with the fever" he said, glancing over briefly "He needs to take them if he is to get better. Make sure he does. I know how stubborn he is but this one can't be cured by anything naturally found" he explained before getting back to Mathias

Pepper sighed, great, another thing to worry about. she pushed her hand through her hair and nodded "I'll make sure he takes them"

Badru glanced back and forth between them before looking at Pepper. "This needs to be eaten?" he asked carefully, pointing to the pills. "And him not eating them?"

Pepper looked up at him and nodded "Yes, three times a day with food" she told him "Like I need something else to worry about" BAdru was right, Pepper was tired, she was doing her best as a single mom, or was trying to do her best. She had married far too young and had a child before she really had a chance to experience life properly.

"Really? That would be very helpful" she said seriously "and you are not useless" she added, neither of them had been to work where they needed his help just yet that was all

Well, he certainly wasn't being used right now, so what did that make him other than useless until they found his use? He had no doubt he could help with the heavy lifting Pepper and Little Water Droplet had once mentioned, but for now, he was not in use. Therefore, useless. He decided to skip all of that, though, and go straight for, "Yes. I help with eating him."
Wait, that wasn't quite right. Oh well, close enough.

Pepper chuckled softly at his mistake, she knew what he meant so didn't correct him, watching instead as the doctor finished up with Mathias and got back to his feet, picking up his bag "Call on me again if you need... when his fever is down move him back to bed and keep him warm" he instructed

Badru looked at Mathias in the water. "Is good to leave him in water? Mathias not fish," he warned in a low rumble. In his tribe, if someone was too hot, they usually put cold things in bed with them rather than dunk them in water.

the doctor smiled a little "It is ok, take him out soon" it was a good way to bring a high fever down and a quick option in situations like this.

Badru grunted, unconvinced, but he gave a nod to show he would comply. If Pepper thought the doctor could be trusted with her brother, he would allow it.

Back