Land Down Under (KJDarKnight & Treasure)

She smiled, hoping she was not making a mistake, being fooled by false pretences or some such. She really didn't think that was the case. He had already done so much to help them

"I am not entirely deaf...I can hear plants and help them grow" she left out that she could do similarly with other living things. She studied his face for his reaction

His pulse quickened. He frowned a little as he thought that over. "You hear the plants?" He finally asked curiously. "What do you mean you hear them? Do they speak?" He did not question her about her ability to make plants grow. He'd seen evidence of that, himself.

Gray shrugged. "You cannot be any more or less crazy than I am, and you are certainly a lot more sane than some down here. I cannot say I understand, but I would like to."

She smiled at his response, visibly relaxing at his words "I'm not sure how better to explain but I can show you" she offered with a small soft smile, sitting up more properly now, she could show him now if he wanted or later, either way, she was just excited he wasn't reacting badly to the information

"I would like to see it, but I am worried you have not rested enough," Gray said honestly. He did want to see it. Oh how wanted to see it! He had never known anyone else to have an... ability as he did. Granted, with how sternly his mother had taught him to hide it and how paranoid he'd become of anyone finding out, he would not have been surprised to learn of a dozen others living just like he did. Hiding their abilities.

She smiled "I have rested plenty" she assured him before she slid off the bed and without thinking about it, grabbed his hand to guide him back to his tree room, she was excited, that much was clear

Gray's breath caught and he tensed at her touch, but he let her hold his hand and lead him back to his little forest. In the old days, it would be called a greenhouse, but he did not know that word. So he called it his forest.

It didn't click until they got to the door that he had tense, she had forgotten again, it would take some getting used to, she was used to her brother who didn't care if she touched him at all.
She paused, letting go of his hand "I'm sorry, I forgot again" she signed apologetically

"It is alright, I understand," Gray assured her. "I am sorry I am so twitchy. Please, show me?" He tried to force himself to calm down, to not show her how excited he, gripped with trepidation.

she nodded and opened the door and stepped into his forest. Faelar frowned after them, not liking this but it was her choice.

The light in there was at least dimmer now the sun was setting so hopefully it wasn't hurting his eyes.
She walked over to one of the tree's before she signed "It is a little like your code I think, not words, but sounds I can hear that tell me what the plant needs" she explained, or tried to "then I can help it get that..." she touched the base of the little tree and closed her eyes, listening to the sounds it made. She didn't have to touch it but it helped her to focus on just the single plant rather than the room at large.

Right before his eyes he could see the tree actually begin to grow taller and more leaves and small branches growing out, like she had accelerated it's growth. She opened her eyes again and smiled at what she had done before looking up at him

Gray sat down, his knees suddenly weak, his eyes wide and his jaw slack. The tree had grown. There was no mistaking what he'd seen. She could speak to the plants and hear them. The way he could hear... She was... he had no word for it. Talented? This was something far more beautiful than he'd ever expected to see in his life.

She smiled a little at his expression, letting him process quietly until he was ready to say something, she looked back at the little tree, briefly, a little blossom had taken shape too and was blooming slowly as he effect wore off and it returned to it's natural rate of growth

Gray took a breath and let it out slowly as he adjusted. Talking, right. Less staring, more communicating. He tore his eyes away from the tree and forced himself to look at her. "From what you have shown me.... you have an amazing gift," he signed, his fingers trembling slightly. "I have never seen anything like it."

she smiled a little and knelt so she was at his level again "Thank you" she signed, watching him "my mother had the same gift, her mother before her... they called her witch and threw her out... so I have never shown anyone but my brother" she explained to him

Gray shook his head, frowning. "I do not know what it is to be a witch beyond silly stories, but you are not bad, and I cannot image you being raised by someone who was. This thing you can do, this gift, it's beautiful."

she smiled at his words and wanted to hug him again but she held back that urge "When you said... I couldn't be more crazy than you... what did you mean? Can you do something... special too?" she asked. maybe she was overthinking the simple statement

Ah. She'd caught that detail. His first instinct was to deny it. His hands even started to form the words. Then he dropped his hands. After a moment, he tried again. "Yes. It is not like yours, not really, but yes."

she smiled a little "I had a feeling" she signed "thank you for being honest, I know it's hard" she said "you don't have to tell me more, I am just glad to know someone else understands" last thing she wanted to do was pressure him and what she said was true, just knowing he truly understood what it was like, meant a lot

Gray smiled faintly. "Thank you for telling me about your gift. I would like to tell you more about mine, but not right now. I am not ready yet, and it is not a pretty gift like yours."

Back