Land Down Under (KJDarKnight & Treasure)

It wasn't terribly long before they could move Mathias back to his bed, thankfully he woke long enough to get dried and changed himself before going back to sleep. For now until dinner probably he would just sleep which was alright, the doctor had given him antibiotics for the day already.

Pepper spent the day cleaning the house after, to destress. Peter happy enough to help out too, would be nice for Mathias when he woke again.

--

Meanwhile Justira was using her own gift to help give Gray a surprise when he came home. She knelt by the first scrawny plant and bent down, whispering to it and stroking the stalk gently with her fingers as if somehow coaxing it to grow, she closed her eyes. She couldn't hear peoples voices or anything normal people could hear but she could hear something in the silence. The sounds of life that the normal ear couldn't. Plants and animals made sounds that spoke to her, she called them voices but they weren't words in the traditional sense... come to think if it, it was like Gray's code he interpreted. The thought made her smile faintly, opening her eyes again she looked at the little plant, pleased to see the leaves were fuller and bright and even a few blossoms about to open. She doubted the whispering helped at all but she felt like it did somehow.

In essence she could hear what the living thing needed and help accelerate the process, a form of healing in it's own right. her people called it witchcraft and had thrown her mother out for offending the gods with it. So she kept it to herself for fear of the same but it seemed it hadn't mattered, they still suspected and they had still cast her aside. A black sheep if ever there was one in her clan.

Surely bringing life to one little plant wouldn't hurt though and maybe Gray would see the beauty in her gift. She laid down on the ground and watched the little thing and listened to the plants all around her, telling her their ailments and telling her their joy for being alive, it made her smile and slowly she drifted to sleep her hand still resting at the base of the plant

Badru sat by dutifully, his attention shifting from Mathias to Pepper to Peter and back to Mathias as he kept watch on them all. This was definitely a bit more exciting than when he was staying with Little Water Droplet.

~~

Gray spent his day at work. Keeping busy and focused meant his mind wasn't constantly wondering about Justira and Faelar. Was Faelar staying out of trouble? Was Justira concerned about what they had sort of talked about? Should he be concerned about her? Nope, stay focused on the job.
Thankfully, there was a lot to do and talk about, so he stayed busy taking calls, chatting, and passing on information as was needed. He kept close notes, sending them off to the appropriate men in power. The hours passed quickly, and it did not seem like long until it was time to go home some eight hours later.
Tiredly, he climbed down from his perch and stretched. As was his habit, he walked toward town for several feet before breaking off and taking a complicated route back to his house. Only then did he feel safe to let himself in. Home! Sanctuary! Peace!

It was towards evening when Misty showed up to see Badru, she of course had her own job to do so had to wait until after. Besides that it had taken a bit of asking around to figure out where exactly Mathias lived but she finally got there and pulled what she told was a bell.
It took a few minutes before the hatch opened and the ladder was let down "It'sMisty!" she called up awkwardly before climbing up, finding it a bit difficult with one arm but not as hard as Gray's ladder as this was was slanted and more stair like

--

Inside Faelar was sitting by the door still, his sister not having come out, he looked up at Gray and frowned "What did you say to her?"

Badru went to meet her. "Little Water Droplet," he said, addressing her in his own tongue before turning to English. "Seeing you is good. Time is uncertain." Mathias seemed content enough to sleep, but Pepper was rather frenzied in her cleaning, so he wasn't sure how welcome Misty would be, despite his satisfaction at seeing her.

~~

Gray paused in the middle of taking off his shoes. He finished and straightened. "Aside from explaining what my job entailed?" he asked pleasently. "There was not much time for casual chat, which I believe is why she chose to leave."

Misty smiled, he was learning so fast! and just a few days too. "Oh... do I need to come back another time?" she asked, clearly a bit disappointed at that idea having looked forward to it all day.

Pepper glanced over "Come on in Misty!" she called "Was just cleaning up a bit that's all"

--

Faelar sighed "well.... She's not come out of there all day..." he said "she's fragile you know.. easily hurt"

Badru stepped aside to give Misty more room to enter, relaxing a little. Good! She did not have to leave yet. Pepper had called her in, so surely that meant things were not as bad as he had feared.

~~

Gray went to the door and glanced in briefly, only taking note of Justira before turning back to Faelar. "It appears she fell asleep, that is all," he tried to reassure the other. "Perhaps I should move her to the bed?"

Misty walked in and glanced around, looked like she had really gone to town, everything looked pretty well spotless. "I'm not interrupting?" she asked, holding the notebooks and pens close
"No not at all, have a seat, I know you wanted to give Badru more lessons" Pepper assured "You two have fun. I think I'll start on dinner"

--

Faelar sighed and nodded, still not convinced his sister wasn't upset "I suppose but I'd feel better if you talked to her"

Badru cautiously made his way to the table and sat down. He folded his hands and tried to be as small as possible, worried about making Pepper angry. She was small, but he'd seen what she could do when pushed.

~~

Gray sighed soundlessly and turned to him. "In truth, I have no idea what it is I am supposed to be speaking to her about. If she is upset with me about something I said, I will trust her to tell me so I might make amends." He turned away and went to make certain the bed was made up before returning to collect Justira. He had an idea of why she might be upset, but he figured Faelar was overreacting. Justira was fine.

Misty didn't say more to Pepper, getting the same sort of feeling. Pepper was intense sometimes.
She sat down to the table and opened her notebooks to pick up where they left off "IS she ok?" she asked him first though

--

Faelar shrugged, he just knew that look on his sister and she hadn't stopped to talk to him, just hid away.

Justira was curled up by the little tree she had helped grow a bit more vibrantly, the bloom starting to open now though and all around Justira the moss seemed a richer color and tiny little white blossoms were opening up ready to release spores

He had to think about that. "Not good happened. Mathias... ill," he tried to explain. "Is not... mine for speaking." He shrugged apologetically. He wasn't sure how much Misty knew about Allen, and if he said more than he was supposed to, Pepper might drown him with the mop.

~~

Gray stepped inside then paused. Wait... this didn't look right... and the feeling was different. It felt vibrant, alive, and more powerful. He knelt and looked at where Justira's hand touched the plant. Had she done this? He reached out... hesitated, then pulled back his hand. This was a wonder! But he could not interogate her about it. He reached down and carefully scooped her up, carrying her to the bed. Maybe she would tell him when she woke. For now, she needed all the rest she could get.

That was all she needed to know so she just nodded a little "We will let her be then" she decided before looking to see where they had left off. Ah yes, she had made another list of words to teach him before they could get more into sentence structure.

--

Justira didn't wake as he picked her up, the woman felt so light and fragile in his arms. She did however blink slowly when he set her down on the bed, her brow furrowing slightly then she noticed it was Gray putting her to bed. She didn't even remember falling asleep, her brow furrowed a little, confused

Badru paid close attention to Misty, looking down at the list even if he had no idea what any of the graphite scribbles meant. He repeated the words clumsily, trying to remember what each meant. It was easier to learn this language since he was surrounded by it and could listen to other people's conversations.

~~

Gray smiled down at her and signed slowly and clearly, "You fell asleep in the forest. I thought you would be more comfortable here.

Misty was a very patient and kind teacher and she found she rather enjoyed it. Maybe she could have been a preschool and kindergarten teacher after all, the thought of dealing with the parents scared her off that though.
As she taught him the words she sounded them out and pointed to each letter that matched the sound, so, teaching him to read at the same time.

--

She nodded, recalling now what she had been doing, she wondered if he noticed the tree.

she pushed herself to sit up a little so she could sign "I am sorry about before. I'm..." she hesitated, trying to figure out what she wanted to say, even though she had been running the words through her mind for awhile "I am not used to people being so kind. I don't know how to behave. I hope I did not make you uncomfortable" she signed

Badru studied the letters, but despite her best efforts, they made no sense to him. Still, he slowly and patiently plugged on, trying to learn the scribbles. If Little Water Droplet thought it was important, he would try.

~~

Gray smiled gently. "I understand. I had not meant to offend, but I am not used to that type of... attention." He hesitated, not sure how to put it. "What I mean is, I would very much like to be friends, but it has been a long time since I have made a new friend. I am out of practice."

She nodded and smiled faintly, that did make her feel a little better "Me too, Faelar has been my only friends for many years. Learn the ropes together?"

"I would like that," Gray said with a nod. He paused a moment longer. "Do you really like that room? You fell asleep in there."

She nodded quickly in response to his question "I feel... at home there" she explained, she seemed to want to tell him more but was a bit scared to actually tell him why and what she had done. Maybe he would call her witch too and toss her out to the wolves "Plants do not hate or judge like people do"

Gray inclined his head. "I can understand that. I brought these plants down here to make it a bit like a world I may never see." He paused a minute to give her a chance to think before switching the topic. "The plants seem to like you. I have never seen them so bright and alert."

Her heart raced a bit when he mentioned the plants, she studied his face a moment. He didn't look upset or suspicious. She still hesitated a moment "Can I tell you a secret?" she asked. She wanted desperately to trust him and let him in, she didn't know why, maybe just because he seemed to understand her in a way that nobody else did

Back