Land Down Under (KJDarKnight & Treasure)

Whence inside Mathias found a corner to set Gray down again, picking the darkest part of thr little cave for him.

"This will do for now..." Mathias nodded his approval. It would give them shelter until they could build a better one. For now they could share body heat at night to stay warm.

"We should probably keep going and put more space between us as those..." Jonah caught himself, glancing at Pepper, Peter, and Misty. "People. Other people." He guided Misty to a spot at the back.

Lynna still kept Justira close by her and gently moved her to sit with her between Misty and Gray.

Gray perked up a little when he felt the darkness. No more light! He cautiously opened his eyes and looked around blearily. He still felt... melted was the only word he could think of. That and scattered, but it wasn't as bad now. His mind felt groggy but slowly picking up the pieces.

"Not tonight" Mathias said "we need rest and time to form a plan..." he reasoned "but yes..I don't want to stay anywhere too close to those idiots" he picked a spot near the entrance

Misty sat and hugged her knees to her chest with her one good arm. "Can we really survive just us?" She spoke up. She had finally started feeling more comfortable on the surface. Safety in numbers. Now it was just them and they were back in the woods again.

"Don't see why not," Jonah shrugged. "We've got native knowledge," he indicated Badru, "spunk," Lynna got a wave, "a good boss," that to Mathias, "and plenty of brains," that to Misty. "No reason why we can't outlast those punks."

Badru eyed Jonah wordlessly then sat crosslegged in the entrace. Jonah confused him. One second he was scoffing and reminding them of all the ways they could die, and the next he was being weirdly reassuring. Maybe the man's skull was cracked.

Misty listened to him as he spoke and tried to reassure her but she was srill scared "and what about...those cannibals?" She shuddered a little at the still fresh memory. Her arm was healed now just weaker after being in a cast for so long and the bite mark scar would be there forever

"What about them?" Jonah shrugged. "We got away before, we will again, and now we know their territory."

"They roam," Badru grunted. "They will be far away now, seeking new places. New people. People who might have killed them first."

"Right, so they might not even still be around," Badru said.

"If you say so..." she said but was still scared to leave their little cave she pulled her knee's closer, hugging herself.

"We're going to be alright Misty" Peter spoke up "we've got Badru and my uncle"

Justira in the mean time curled up on the ground where Lynna had lead her

Lynna put her arm around Justira. "We'll be fine," she said stoutly. "We're the best of the best!" She hesitated. "Um, speaking of that... how's Gray?"

Gray sat leaning against the cool dirt wall, his eyes closed, but his color looked a little better.

"Looking better.... I think he's more sensitive than any of us to the light" she had no idea what else it could be, the rest of them had already started to adapt to the light but he clearly had not, poor guy, this was going to be rough on him

Lynna nodded quietly, hesitating to ask another question. "Um... what do you think they meant? When they were talking about a dangerous creature. I thought they meant Badru, Justira, and... but then it seemed they meant something else."

"What's it matter?" Jonah grumbled from near the front where he was starting to try to make a fire. He wasn't very good at fires yet. "It's just all stupid rumors and gossips by tiny minds."

"Yeah, but..." Lynna fell quiet. She was still curious.

"Vampire. That's what they were calling Gray...probably because he only comes out at night and I guess with the surface being livable anything is possible now" Pepper provided

"What's a vampire?" Lynna frowned. "I've never heard of it before."

Jonah looked up from coaxing a baby fire to life. "Hey, Badru, you tend to call him a Shadow Man. What's that about?"

Badru didn't answer.

"They're from old stories from the old world" Peter answered "they were loving dead people who drank the blood of people to keep living..not real of course just stories" not everyone knew the same stories from the old world as they were passed down word of mouth in families anymore. Very few books remained from those days

"Sounds really creepy and not at all like Gray," Lynna said flatly. "I mean, Gray is pretty weird, but not that weird."

Gray opened his eyes and gave Lynna a look. He was mute, not deaf, or did she forget that?

Peter giggled "Gray's not weird" he defended "he just doesn't like light!" For a kid so young. He was taking everything very well and staying positive

"Yeah, alright, but how does someone who likes plants so much not like light?" Lynna protested, a grin creeping over her face.

Gray rolled his eyes, slowly coming more alive as the light disappeared from the world. It was another new moon, and the darkness helped. He noticed Justira and slowly stood, moving shakily toward her.

"That's a good point" Misty teased a little too. Distraction was good.
"You know there is a flower called the moon flower, blooms in moonlight and folds back up on the sun" Peter spoke up again

Justira wasn't paying attention to anyone else, still crying, curled up on the ground

Gray sat next to Justira and leaned close without touching her. Letting her feel his warmth and closeness.

"Really? Alright, now that makes sense," Lynna said. "Maybe we should start calling him Moon Flower!"

Peter giggled "No I think Justira is his moon flower" he said, noticing how often they were together and even now how he sat with her while she grieved.

Justira looked up when she felt him close, her eyes red and puffy from crying

"Awe, that's very sweet, Peter!" Lynna giggled. "And I think you are very right. She is definately pretty as a flower. So, if she's a moon flower, what is your mom? A, um..." She tried to think about the plants she'd recently been learning about. "A rose?"

Gray hesitated only a moment before cautiously reaching out and placing his arm around her shoulders.

Back