Land Down Under (KJDarKnight & Treasure)

Mathias wasn't quite as versed in sign as the others but had picked up quite a lot over the past month. "I'm sorry...I've failed all of you...especially Faelar and Justira..." he looked back up at the tree's too. They all seemed to look to him as a leader for some reason and he had failed them...Faelar was dead. They were cast out on the brink of winter

He looked back at Gray again "do me a favor? Take first watch....I'm going back and getting our supplies...we'll never last without them"

Gray reached out and caught Mathias sleeve, pulling on it lightly to get his attention. He waited until Mathias was looking at him then very clearly and firmly showed him a fairly universal sign. A rather rude one involving one finger. Then he continued, signing slowly. "You have not failed any more than I have. You may feel bad for his death, and leaders always have a strange habit of blaming themselves for those who die under them, but it is not your fault. It is the fault of the one who pulled the trigger. No other. Say such a thing again and I shall have to slap some sense back into your skull."

Mathias frowned, he got most of what he said at least. He hadn't asked for any of this. He stepped into the role of leader only because somebody had to.

"Will you keep watch for me?" He asked again instead of arguing with him about fault

Gray studied him for a moment then gave a nod. "I will watch until the light comes if you have need. Return to us, please."

"Wake up Badru at second watch if I'm not back...I will be back don't worry about that. There's a secret passage back in to that secret room" where he had told them to stache their stuff

He shook his head "I'll be faster on my own and I need time to think" he answered

With that he headed quickly off

It was awhile later, not quite second watch yet when Justira stepped outside looking for Gray

Gray could understand that. He thought Mathias was in no frame of mind to be running off on such a delicate mission, but he couldn't stop Mathias... nor should he try.

When Justira came out, he looked up at her and gave a slight wave of his fingers, greeting her.

She didn't smile like she normally would.

She sat down beside Gray, not saying anything for a long moment before she signed "part of me believed it was just a bad dream..."

"Nothing any of us can do" she answered and sighed heavily "thank you..for sitting with me before. It helped" she knee how hard physical contact was for him so it meant all the more

"You needed it," Gray said simply. He looked up at the trees for a bit. Then he looked down at Justira again. "I suppose now I will get to see the world more."

"Now we have very little choice in the matter" she tried to smile a little but it was half hearted.

While she could not hear it. He would. Someone was stumbling through the forest nearby muttering. Mathias would not be so loud and careless.

Gray started to answer then stopped. He held up a hand to Justira as he listened. Then he turned to her and signed, "Go inside and wake Badru. Quickly. Someone is coming."

Justira nodded and quickly went back inside, goong to Badru she gently shook his shoulder to wake him. A shame really, the way he slept beside Peter and Pepper and the way Peter curled into him...they looked like a proper little family

Charlie wasn't far but not going exactly the right way to find them. He stumbled in the deep dark of the forest. A heavy bag weighed him down

Badru woke quickly and squinted up at Justira. "Trouble?" He grunted quietly, remembering in time to enunciatehis lip movement.

Gray stood listening to the struggles of the... it sounded like a man. He wanted to go look, but not until he knew Badru was awake.

Justira nodded pointing outside before she backed off so he had room to get up. She couldn't hear but part of her was scared it was the wolves again.

Badru rose carefully to not wake Peter or Pepper and patted Justira's shoulder. He didn't know what was out there, but he would take care of it. He thought about waking Jonah then decided not to. There might not be need. He stepped outside and looked down at Gray.

Gray used his hand to make a motion like someone walking then pointed to the woods. He then gestured for Badru to stay put as he walked out and instantly disappeared into the shadows. Whoever they were, they were going to miss the cave, so if they were a threat, he might just let them walk.

Poor Charlie was either lost or looking for them, either way he was alone with a heavy bag of what seemed to be food. He'd been smart enough not to use the flashlight in the forest, that would only draw more attention to him.

"Dammit this was stupid..I'll never find them..." he muttered to himself, getting discouraged

Charlie? What on earth was Charles doing out here? Gray stepped out of the shadows in front of him and held up his hands. It was probably a jarring way to show himself, but it wasn't like he could call out to the young fellow.

Back