Land Down Under (KJDarKnight & Treasure)

"Sorry...don't think you will be getting it back" he said as they walked together, soon enough coming back into the light of the fire.

"Nothing to worry about everyone, we're safe" Mathias said whence they had noticed their return "How's Gray doing?"

Jonah glanced over to where Gray sat hunched over. "He'll live. I think he has a killer headache, but nothing broken or bleeding."

Badru frowned at Mathias. "Wolves?" he asked, noticing a very faint smell and spotting tufts of hair on his boots. "You find the pack?"

Mathias nodded "We found them" he glanced back into the woods once more "I think we are safe for tonight....The uh, alpha let us go" still strange to wrap his brain around. "Misty did you grab any medicine?"

"Oh... yes I did" Misty grabbed her pack and dug into it and found some pain relievers, she didn't need to be told to take it over to Gray with some water "Here..." she coaxed

"The alpha let you go?" Jonah frowned, picking up on the odd wording. "What does that mean? It just growled at you and stepped aside?"

Gray squinted up at Misty and managed a smile of thanks as he accepted the water and pain reliever. He took them in a quick swallow and handed the water back.

"Not exactly" Mathias answered "the alpha was a human. Strangest thing I ever saw but we were lucky she was human" he took a seat and dragged a hand down his face. Poor guy was tired and stressed. He never asked to lead this group

Mathias nodded "I know it sounds crazy but I know what we saw" he glanced over at Lynna, glad he hadn't been alone. she could back up his story

Lynna shrugged. "She looked to be about my age, maybe a little younger, and she was right there with the pack. She kind of growled at them, and they parted."

"That's certainly one of the craziest things I've ever heard," Jonah agreed. He glanced toward the sky. "Well, we still have a few hours until it's light enough to travel. Why don't you get some sleep and Badru and I will keep watch?"

The wolves howled in the distance again, a little farther away than they had been before.

Mathias nodded "Won't say no to that, I'm exhausted. Everyone just keep your packs close, can't afford to lose any more supplies" he said before grabbing his own pack to set up a spot to sleep near the fire

"You just sleep while I try to find a replacement baton," Lynna grumbled.

"Or you can sleep or stand watch," Jonah pointed out.

"Spoil sport," Lynna grumbled, heading for her spot next to Charlie.

"We can get you a new one tomorrow" Mathias said as he settled down to sleep.

"Here, I kept it warmed up by the fire" Charlie held her blanket out for her and offered his lopsided smile "Glad you two came back, we were worried about you"

Lynna didn't know where Mathias thought he'd get a beautiful metal baton out here in the woods, but then again she didn't know what she was thinking of to get one. "Thanks, Charlie," she said, taking her blanket.. "That was kind of you."

Jonah stopped by Misty. "How are you holding up?"

Charlie smiled "least I can do. You do a lot for all of us" he reasoned.

"I'm ok..probably won't be able to sleep more tonight though..." Misty answered "I..don't like sleeping out here so exposed"

Lynna smiled. "Not that much, but thanks."

"How about if I sit next to you until you fall asleep?" Jonah suggested. "You can pretend we're back in the bunker."

"Dont give yourself enough credit. Mathias doesn't pick you as back up for no reason" he said settling down but watching her

"You..wouldn't mind?" Misty asked. It woukd help a lot actually. She gelt safe around him, especially after he had rescued her down in desolation and since been there to help her adjust to surface life.

"Yeah, but Mathias doesn't even want to be leader, so where does that leave me?" Lynna shrugged. "I just do what I need to do to keep him going. And getting myself in trouble."

"Nah, it's fine. And I have a good view from here," Jonah said, sitting next to her space.

"weather or not he want's it, he is, and he is doing a good job so it changes nothing. You're still his second" Charlie reasoned "Be proud of that"

Misty smiled a little "Thanks Jonah... " she seemed about to say more but stopped herself "goodnight then.." she said instead before laying down, making sure she was only touching him lightly so she knew he was there but not wanting to be invasive on his space

Lynna grunted softly. "I'm not second in command material. Badru should be the the second," she grumbled really softly as she rolled up in her blanket. "Good night, Charlie."

Jonah didn't say anything as he sat near Misty. He didn't mind being near her or spending time with her. He never had. Not since before their first trip to the surface, but he'd never had the courage to tell her. Not before the trip, and it seemed unprofessional during the trip, and then she was hurt. That would have felt like taking advantage of her while she was in a weaker posission. That would never do. And now? Yes, now, while they were trying to not die, now was the perfect time. Not. So he kept quiet and kept watch.

The next day passed very much the same as the previous as they all tried to cover as much ground as they could. Badru carried Gray, and that made things go a lot more smoothly as it was only an hour before Gray was all but senseless in the bright sunlight. The rest kept their usual places, moving along swiftly with only a short break for lunch before continuing on until the sun began to set, signaling time to hunker down for the night.

Mathias lead them even into the night while the moon was bright and lighting their way, mostly looking for a spot for the night that was a bit mor protected than the last, especially since the clouds seen in the early hours if evening looked pretty dark and threatening as they rolled on in.

Eventually he found a cave up the side of a hill.

After he and Badru scoped it out, the rest were beckoned in. Everyone worn out from the extra long day of travel. Misty and Peter particularly looked beat. Pepper had carried Peter the last mile or so, wareing her down faster too

"We'll be safe here for the night" Mathias said whence they were all in

Badru rolled out Pepper and Peter's blankets for them. "Here. Rest," he told them both. "Food soon. Must rest."

"Oh, my aching feet," Lynna groaned as she sat down and pulled off her boot. "How much longer until we get there?"

Gray walked in a ragged circle around their campsite and gave Mathias an approving nod. This was a good place.

Back