Land Down Under (KJDarKnight & Treasure)

Pepper fell silent and didn't argue with him, instead she just took a seat and smiled at Peter as the little boy got out their food. He was particularly excited by the still steaming flatbread Pepper had purchased on her way up. It was considered a luxury food item, not included in rations but could be purchased sometimes on the market level. Flatbread was the cheapest of the luxury food. Certain kinds of cakes and pastries were available to order too but only the most wealthy could ever afford that.

--

Misty tried to get her tablet and radio shifted around so she could protect them when she fell. No doubt she would break bones on impact from that height though.

"Lynna duck!" Mathias called out. Waiting for her to do so before he took a shot into the tree's that was followed by a horrible shriek and a volley of spears

Gray's expression lit up when he saw the flatbread. He looked at Pepper and clapped his hands lightly for joy before helping Peter divide it up. The two larger portions went straight to Pepper and Peter. Gray took only a small bit for himself, expressing great joy in the flatbread and every other bit of food Pepper had brought.

~~

Lynna ducked, ignoring the chaos around her. When she didn't seem to be in imediate danger, she went straight back to sawing at the thick rope. Before the last strand broke, she grabbed it tight. Hopefully, her weight would slow Misty's descent, and Lynna would let go about half way up so they would land on the ground at the same rate of speed. The rope broke, and Lynna's theory was put to the test.

Pepper smiled shaking her head "oh no you don't" she tore off a bit more of her own piece and put it on his plate "this is a thank you for being a good friend to me and my son" she insisted.

--

It worked. It did slow the rate she fell but when she hit the ground there was an audible crack and gasp of pain.

Mathias open fired again as the top dwellers started to take a more direct approach and charge them. Taller and stronger than them and wearing masks made of wood and bone. Their skin thicker and darker from the sun. "Run! Get out of here!" Scott ordered. He knew none of them would last long face to face with a top dweller. Their best chance was to run

Gray smiled and signed, "You are far too good to me. I hope you realize that." But he did not argue as he happily accepted the extra bite. "I should be hearing from the Trade Crew soon. I think Peter would like to stay to hear the news. Would you like to stay as well?"

~~

Lynna rolled as she dropped, lessening the damage, but she had to pause to catch her breath. She scrambled straight to Misty. "Misty! Come on, we have to go!" she gasped. "Can you stand?"

Pepper smiled "Nonsense" she said, she would do more for Gray if she could, very grateful for how kind he was and how good he was to her boy, being a good example to him. Nothing at all like the boys father. "Sure I could stay" she nodded "It will be good to know my brother is doing alright out there"

--

Misty scrambled to get the net off "yeah I think so,just my shoulder" she answered, heart racing as she scrambled out of the net and get to her feet, the adrenaline helped to fight the pain in her shoulder so she could keep moving. It was little use though as the top dwellers were faster and already had them surrounded. One dropping down from the tree's right behind Lynna and swinging the blunted of the spear into the back of her head to knock her out

Mathias got off two more shots before they were on him

Gray smiled and made room for her. His place was small, and having three people in it made it feel a touch cramped, but Peter was small. It wasn't too bad. Now just to hear from the Crew.

~~

"Oi! Come off it, you scum!" Lynna snarled. "Leave us alone! Unless you want to get walloped then drown in the rain!" Her baton was out and swinging as she tried to protect Misty. It looked like Jonah was down, and everyone else was useless. She had to keep Misty safe, at least!

the top dweller jumped out of reach and swung again smashing the end of the spear into the side of her head this time, with enough force to knock her out cold. Misty panicked and just ran for it, not that it would do her much good, but she fumbled with the radio as she ran.

They had just finished their meal when Misty's voice came over the radio, obviously panicked and between breaths like she was running "Gray send help! top dwellers attacked everyone else is dow..." she was cut off, they heard her cry out before she must of dropped the radio

Peter and Pepper both stared at the radio. Top dwellers? That did not bode well, a very good chance they wouldn't come back. everyone knew that. "Mamma?" Peter looked up at his mother with wide worried eyes "Come here baby" Pepper pulled him up on to her lap "Mathias is strong, he'll be ok" she whispered soothingly

---

Meanwhile the top dwellers slung their captives over their shoulders and hauled them into the deeper darker parts of the forest and into stone structures built up against the side of a cliff and walls built around the community to protect them from creatures in the woods and built in such a way to withstand the strong winds rain and hail that managed to get through the thickest parts of the forest. the tree's themselves providing a natural shelter against the worst of it.

The lot of them were stripped of whatever packs and weapons they had before being stuffed into a cage made of thick branches and held together with rope.

There were a couple other cages with some strange looking birds with sharp beaks that had been tied closed and the wings broken, poor beasts, and another couple with other top dwellers stuffed in them, though they looked a bit different, not quite as thick as the ones who had attacked them, a different clan probably.

Last edited:
Gray slid into his chair and grabbed his headphones. His finger flashed as he tried to raise the nearest Trade Crew. The insistent beeps flew out over the airwaves. There was no answer for several grueling seconds. Finally, a reply beeped out. Gray listened close and made a couple of exchanges before turning back to Pepper and Peter.
"There is another Trade Crew nearby. They will try to find your uncle and save them," Gray told them. "I gave them their last coordinates, and they are only a few minutes away."

~~

Lynna roused herself slowly. "Ugh, what's going on?" she slurred as she tried to focus. She felt sick in her stomach. "Misty? Mathias? Jonah? Scott?" She tried to look around then had to close her eyes again. All she could see was a weird blur and some lines.

"Here," rasped out Jonah sounding in pain and straining to get the words out. "Sit quiet. Don't disturb the natives."

Don't disturb the natives? What did that mean? Sitting quiet sounded good at the moment, though, so Lynna worked herself up into a sitting position and held her head. Oh, but those sticks packed a wallop! Just wait until she got her hands on one of those barbarians.

Last edited:
Peter hugged on to his bother, crying softly "the's going to be alright. You know Mathias. He's tough...he'll be ok" she soothed, rocking the boy gently and kissing the top of his head. She looked up at Gray again, her eyes asking if what she said was true. Was there really a chance her brother would make it?

--

Misty groaned softly as she started to come too, her head swimming and body aching. She could feel the dry blood caked on the side of her head from where she had been hit but her shoulder was what hurt the most. All she could do was hope gray got the message and that help was on the way. "Here" she mumbled

Mathias was still out cold. Looked like he had taken a blow to the face, nose broken and dried blood all around his cheeks and down his neck. His breathing was a bit labored suggesting he had taken a blow to the chest too. Not good.

Scott was missing all together. Probably dead.

Gray didn't like giving false assurances, but Mathias was tough. If any of the crew were going to make it out, it would be him. He nodded to her and gave her a calming smile. "They will surely be fine. They are all smart and capable, and Matthias is a tough individual. I would be surprised if he is even two minutes late to return."

~~

Lynna slowly opened her eyes, her vision still swaying but slowly coming into focus. She did a headcount, starting over three times as she lost count. "Okay," she said at last. "Looks like we have everyone except... has anyone seen Scott?" She tried to stand then settled for kneeling.

"Nope," Jonah said. His head looked intact - one of the few that did, but there was a dark patch all down his left side that looked wet and sticky. "Not sure what happened. I lost track of him. Anyone else see?"

Pepper smiled faintly at his assurance. Weather it was true or not didn't matter at the moment. It was still comforting and helped her to hold on to hope. "Thank you" she signed, staying quiet now for Peters sake. With any luck he would fall asleep and save him some worry while they waited.

--

Misty slowly sat up, holding a hand to her spinning head "still pinned last I saw" she answered, keeping her eyes closed for now, afraid she might be sick and vomit if she opened them.

"Stay as long as you need," Gray told her. "I would like the company."

~~

"Then there's still a chance he can get free and get help," Lynna said. "Or even mount a rescue, himself, if their security is weak." She turned and eyed the cage of other top dwellers. "I wonder why they are all caged up?"

"I don't think we can rely on Scott" misty said, finally opening her eyes a little and leaned over Mathias, checking his pulse. Still alive. Good. "Why who is caged?" She asked, looking over at her then following her gaze "same reason we are I suppose"

"Except I have no idea why we're caged," Lynn grumbled. She stood cautiously and leaned against the wall of sticks. After a minute of regaining her equalibrium, she turned and started investigating the wall and testing the joints. "Scott is probably fine. How's Mathias?"

"Excuse me for having as much clue as you do" Misty grumbled back "Mathias is ok I think...a bit beat up but breathing and can't see anything life threatening" she reported "anyone have water?"

"There's some over there, "Jonah grunted, indicating a canteen laying forgotten on the ground.
Lynna was closest, so she picked it up and carried it over to Misty. "Do you see any of our captors?" She cast a glance skyward and frowned. The clouds were closing in rapidly.

Misty accepted it and ripped a bit of her shirt off and got it damp, gently dabbing the blood off Mathias's face. "Probably in their stone buildings" she said, glancing back at the cliffside.

Mathias groaned and started to stir cough spitting up blood. Misty quickly as she could rolled him on to his side so he didn't choke on it. "See if you can reach my pack...I've got some medical supplies in there"

Lynn looked around, trying to locate the pack. "I don't see it... oh, wait, there's a pile of packs, but... I don't think I can reach yours." She knelt on the ground d and stretched her arm toward the pile of abandoned packs. She nearly popped her shoulder out of joint, but all she could do was lightly brush the nearest pack with her fingertips. "Nope." She looked to Jonah, but he sat with his eyes closed. No help there.

"We will have to make due with what we got then" she said "help Mathias up and get him to drink a little but just a little that's all we've got" she said handing the canteen over to her before going to Jonah, noticing he was bleeding. "Jonah?" She touched his shoulder to see if he was awake

"Right." Lynn wobbled over to Mathias and sat next to him. "Mathias, let's sit up, okay?" Slowly, she tried to ease him upright. "You need to drink some water. Here we go. Lean on me."

Jonah flinched at the touch. "Yeah? What?" he growled, trying to focus on Misty.

Back