Land Down Under (KJDarKnight & Treasure)

"Good. Get your packs. We leave the moment the eye hits us" Scott said as he stood and grabbed his own.

Mathias rolled the map and stuck it in its air tight water resistant tube. He had worked hard on that map over the years and his father before him.

--

Peter grinned "well I'll bring back all kinds of stories for you then" he said happily "oh!" He dug into a pocket and pulled out a small smooth stone. Blue with a white band all the way around "Mathias said it's lucky because it's a full band, see?" He held it out to Gray

Lynna made certain she had everything then stood at about the center of the group, even if that meant she had to be uncomfortably close to Jonah. Jonah, for his part, didn't look interested in making trouble. He was focused on getting out alive and safe.

~~

Gray took the stone and rolled it over in his hand. He handed it back and signed, "It is beautiful!"

Misty took out the radio to let Gray know they were about to make the run.

"Trade crew to desolation" she tapped the receiver knowing it would be Gray who answered anyway.

--

Peter grinned "I got it for you" he said happily "I can always find another"

"Thank you, Peter," Gray smiled. "That was so thoughtful of you!" He paused when he heard the speaker squawk. He turned and picked up his headset once more. "Desolation here. I receive you, Trade Crew. What is your status?"

"Preparing for run. Waiting for the eye. How far out?" Misty asked, to help give a time frame to the crew.

Peter fell silent and let Gray work. He knew sign but not the code. He did want to learn it though. He would in time he supposed.

Gray checked the charts and the radar twice before answering. "45 minutes and closing. The edges show fluxuation. It may either slow down or speed up, so make your run fast. You may be able to keep up with it."

Misty relayed the information to Mathias and Scott before responding to Gray. "Mathias found a quicker route. Should take less than an hour to get there" she reported back "saving battery. Over and out" she added before putting the radio away again.

Peter watched patiently "what's happening?"

Gray spun his chair back around and tried to relay the information as simply as possible. "There is another crew that is trapped by the storm. Our Trade Crew is going to find and help them to a hiding spot. When storms hit, they are like a large disk with a hole in the middle. The hole is called an eye, and it is very calm. When the eye passes over our Crew, they will use the calm to leave their shelter and go to the new shelter."

Peter watched him carefully to make sure he caught everything "is that safe?" He asked with a clearly very worried expression

Gray nodded quickly. "It will be safe. They wil be careful to leave when they eye reaches them, and they are all very good runners. Are you a good runner?"

Peter nodded "yeah. Mathias says I'm really fast" he smiled, Gray successfully distracting him from his worry for the moment

Gray grinned. "Good! Someday you shall have to show me how fast you are. I am not fast at all. I bet you could beat me in a race without trying."

Peter laughed a little "nowhere down here long enough to have a race!" He said "maybe you could come up top with me and Mathias. That would be fun!"

Gray considered the idea. "Maybe, but I don't think I would like it up there. It is so big and bright!" He glanced toward his Com center though he tried to hide his look. He wanted to know what was happening up there! That was the only reason he'd go up. It was hard to not know.

"That's what goggles are for and don't worry we wouldn't go far. Keep in sight of the hatch" Peter said "I'll take care of you up there!"

That was about when there was another knock at the door. Likely Peters mother Pepper. She'd had Peter when she was quite young and ended up married to an abusive young man that she had since been able to divorce and was now a single mother

Gray smiled. "I trust you would look after me. Thank you." He hopped up from his chair and went to open the door, smiling when he saw who it was. He backed up and let her in, waving her on happily.

Pepper smiled. She kept her black hair short so it stayed out of her way working down in the engine rooms keeping generators and such running. A brilliant mechanic.

"I had a feeling Peter came up here. I'm sorry if he's bothering you"

Gray waved a hand before answering. "He has assured me that he will protect me should I ever go up with him. He is a good boy, and he is good at keeping me company."

Pepper smiled and ruffled Peters hair affectionately "he is that" she agreed "good at keeping you on your toes too" she said fondly before looking back at Gray "have you eaten yet? I could bring some dinner up..."

"I would love that, but I do not want you to go out of your way," Gray hastily said. "I will be here a long while, but I have some rations in the cupboard. I do not want to trouble you undully."

Back