Chronicles of The Omniverse Archived Lutetia City: Merveilleux

as written by Ronin

In the corner, Aaro tripped over a barstool and faceplanted in the carpet. He managed to keep his bottle from spilling.

"I'm alright!" he shouted, "I'm aaaalllright!"

as written by Emperor Jester

The Caer let it all wash over him, his eyes wide with an equal mix of both amusement and indignant rage, though the facade of a face he wore did very well at hiding how he really felt. "I promise, if I had known that this was that sort of club, I would've have pressured the door man so much to let me inside." He did his best to sound genuinely hurt at both the rejection and the obvious hostility. Behind a sip of his apple-tini, Nox let his eyes wonder over the entirety of the group.

Two twins, who seemed ready to physically stand up to him, despite the obvious differences in physical power. Of course, who knew what anyone was capable of in this city. Still, their attitudes and mannerisms already irked him, and a small part of him wished they would try and touch him.

The girl with Arien was another treasure, just as delicious as the other morsel he'd already found at the bar. She too had the smell of the Church all over her and it made his tongue figuratively waggle out of his mouth. In fact, quite a few of the younger folk in this secluded little corner smelled like they'd taken a bath in equal parts holy water and hypocrisy.

Then an obviously drunk boy bumped into him, without so much as a real apology. On any other night, Nox would've torn him apart without a second thought, but no. Tonight was about relaxation of another kind. He didn't intend to do anything that could potentially hurt his chances of sating his lustful hunger for flesh.

The giant would lick his lips, and swallow hard, as if trying to find the courage to speak again, before extending a nervous hand toward Arien, a glittering smile dancing behind his eyes, even though his face was the perfect mask of hopeful optimism and, oddly enough for Nox, timidness. "Its nice to meet you all, I hope. The names Malcolm, by the way." An expertly crafted lie, without so much as a jump in heart rate...as if he had a working heart anyway.

as written by glmstr

Aurelie's face somehow became even more drained of color as she saw the slightly inebriated Rei by the Caer's side.

"Er, Malcolm, can I speak to Rei really quick?" She bowed slightly and pulled Rei away from the rest of the group without waiting for a response.

The vampire tugged her to a nearby corner, out of earshot but still in sight of the VIP section. Her reddish eyes were wide with concern for the girl's safety.
"Do you realize who -or what- you just found? You paid attention in history class, does that man ring a bell at all?" She spoke quickly with a hushed and nervous tone.

as written by duramon

Reid saw everyone tense up and froze up herself. Why was everyone suddenly so hostile? Was she not allowed to enjoy herself? Where they really so terrified of the Academy that letting a single extra person in set them on edge? What was the point in coming if they were going to cramp up at anything outside of this sheltered little V.I.P box, it was the same as never leaving the Academy at all.

She had to halt herself from curling her lip up in disgust at the cowardice before her, how were these people meant to become the next generation of Paladins and Clerics. At this rate they weren't even worthy of her gear, little own serving the order and protecting the innocent. Inarin was an exception, were he afraid she'd understand, but he was even the one to show the least nerves amongst the group. She'd had lofty dreams of ushering in a new generation of Paladins and Clerics the Order had never before seen, and yet such a simple thing chipped away at her resolve. She knew she was over-reacting, but her standards were held at nothing lower than perfection.

Aurelie pulled her away from the group and she snatched her arm back angrily when they were away from earshot. She had no anger against her guest and recent companion, but she couldn't help but vent some her way. Then she saw the look in her eyes, and her cold gaze returned, she was concerned, this girl she'd never met before was now concerned for her. She took her words in with absolute seriousness, and a pinch of salt, trying to think of what she meant. There were dozens of monsters who dwelled in the shape of men, referencing Order history did not help her and the alcohol pricked at her rational reasoning skills. Only a few were powerful enough to set a professional on edge, and not just on edge, forcing a professional to play to your tune and placate you was another level entirely. If Aurelie's claims were true.

Think Rei, logical processes, slow it down. What could a seemingly random and heinously attractive man in a white suit be, and why was he at a party full of sweaty shirtless teenagers. Rei looked at Aurelie directly in her red eyes, taking in her similarly porcelain skin, and then she realized.

She had just picked up, a fucking Monster. Although she had to admit he definitely lived past her image of a monster, even one who could wear a meat suit, tall suave and sexy, she bet if they went toe to toe the warehouse would be wasted, not that Rei was going to be much of a challenge unequipped as she was. She shook her head and quietly pat Aurelie on the brow, she had to be the calm one in this situation. It was a good thing she'd stocked up on chemicals and knives.

"So what exactly....is he?" She asked plainly, flashing Aurelie a brilliant, and curious, smile. She drapped her arms over Aurelie and let her hands wander to disguise their interactions, looking drunkenly at her and gently whispering into her ear "And what exactly, are you?" Her voice came out as cold as ice, and showed none of the warmth and giggles that her face and loving gaze did.

'Malcolm' had proven he could at least hold back his feral desires and field a silver tongue when he needed it, and those were aspects of monsters the Order hadn't explored to the fullest. Nox, or 'Malcolm' to Rei was her first monster in the flesh, and how could she call herself a scientist and the next evolution for the Order if she would pass up such a chance to observe him personally. In the end he may have even end up being another human, and Aurelie a wolf in sheeps clothing, she had to broach things just right.

In Aurelie's worried, panicked state, cold, calm and professional was the way to go, or atleast the most likely to make the most fun. Her answers would have to be heavily weighted with the evidence, and by their lousy reactions earlier, it would not be a curiousity she'd be sharing with her fellow Prose beyond securing their safety.

Inarin and most surprisingly Celeste had struck a different cord with Rei, curiousity, respect and....the alcohol slipped into her mind again mid thought and she found herself cock-blocked from her own emotions.

Master Romstone had been right, making friends was an important first step, both in her final goals and her work, and in understanding herself. Were it not for this blastidly delicious beverage that slowed her brain to a crawl.

Pleasant surprise was the emotion of the night.

as written by Script

"Malcolm," Arien repeated, his smile sickly sweet. "It's a pleasure, I'm sure. I'm Arien. This is my party. Mine and the twins', that is." A not-so-subtle hint to the Caer, that any trouble made here was trouble for him, whether or not it came at the expense of him personally.

The red in his eyes flared almost imperceptibly as he took Nox's hand, shaking it, and he pushed back against the effects of Nox's aura to return the blanket of ease over the area. He would remain in control here.

His eyes followed Aurelie as she dragged Rei away, narrowing slightly in suspicion. He'd have to have a word with her before the end of the night.

Off to his side, the twins shared a wary glance. Something odd was going on with this tall man, but they weren't sure what.

"Alveré," the first said shortly.

"And Valère," the other added. A far brusquer introduction than the proselytes had received, their double act subdued in the face of uncertainty. Still, whatever it was, Arien doubtless had it in hand. They trusted him enough to follow his lead.

In the meantime, Élisabeth kept a thoughtful gaze on Nox throughout his exchange with the others. It didn't take a genius to pick up on the shift in atmosphere upon the tall man's approach. Arien's cool had slipped only for a moment, but it had been enough for her to note. He was wary, defensive. She hadn't seen him act like that till now.

That meant that whoever this man was, he couldn't just be the charmingly polite gentleman who he appeared to be. It was difficult to believe. If it was an act, he was performing it perfectly.

In the end, however, she decided simply to wait and see what happened, turning her attention back to Jimmy. "That's quite alright," she said to him with a playful chuckle, "I thought it was sweet."

She lifted a finger to twirl his hair as she went on. "You can't have a lot of experience, what with how strict they are back at the monastery... Or does the forbidden aspect only add fuel to the flames?" She winked teasingly.

Inarin stayed quiet, sipping at his drink and enjoying the moment of peace left alone on the couch. Wait, was it his drink? Or had the twins just wanted him to try it then give it back?

He looked down at the almost-empty glass. Well, if it was the latter, it was a bit late now. He hoped they wouldn't be annoyed. He kept sipping.

as written by Krysis

Celeste hesitated at the subtle hostility in Arien's manners, but once the initial defensiveness passed, she realized something. It was kinda silly to have made the assumption that the auburn haired boy would react like a proselyte or a paladin. The more she thought about it, with Arien's 'relax' aura flooding over her, the more she came to the conclusion that it could very well be just a social thing and not 'dangerous' at all in the conventional sense.

In fact, it would make perfect sense for a bunch of spoiled rich kids to act this way. They were not trained to life or death like she and her fellow students were. The hazards in the lives of people like the Castellane twins and the arch-bishop's daughter had to be far different than what she had been trained to face.

She almost laughed when she realized how silly she was being, and would lean against Arien's shoulder, since he was slightly in front of her, as she reached past him to offer her hand to Malcolm as well. "Nice to meet you, Malcolm. I'm Celeste."

The slightly shabby young woman smiled wryly up at the very tall man, letting his personal charms and Arien's presence sooth her without realizing she was being swayed by vampire hijinks. Nox would probably be aware of how well armed Celeste was, and something about her said that she was near the end of her training. In fact, the main thing she was waiting for was her training in combating mind-altering magics, which her body was just not quite mature enough for.

as written by Faithy

“Nice to meet you, Malcolm, I think. I’m Jimmy Ó’Suaird.” Jimmy started to say something further, but his attention drifted over towards Inarin and then back towards Malcolm.

He felt responsible for the other three proyleste’s that he brought along and decided right then and there that if something were to pop off, which as tense as it felt at that moment, it might, he would do his best to protect them, even if it meant he was harmed or worse. He especially felt responsible for Inarin. Sighing, Jimmy returned his attention towards Élisabeth and blushed slightly at her words. Drinking a little more, he could feel the buzz starting, which meant he had surpassed the serum’s capability. Deciding it would be wise not to get totally wasted, especially if he planned on keeping the others safe, the twenty-year-old set down the bottle.

“Eeeeh… it uhhh… it… it kind of adds fuel to the flame, honestly.” Jimmy’s face grew a darker red and he leaned forward towards her, noticing that she was playing with his hair.

“I mean, it’s not that I’m… errhh…” Hating how awkward he was being right then, he grabbed the bottle and downed it before setting the now empty vessel down before leaning forward and kissing her not on the cheek this time, but full on the lips, the booze it seemed was enough to give him the courage he needed at least for the second.

as written by glmstr

"That man, Malcolm over there?" She gestured towards Nox, her tone was even more hushed, "He's a vampire. And not just any vampire, he's a member of House Caerulum from back when vampires ruled the underworld of the city, he's probably one of the only ones still alive. He absolutely could kill everyone in this warehouse, you need at least a few dozen paladins to take him down, and even then it wouldn't be easy." Aurelie looked around once again, seeming to be deliberating on something, and sighed when she made her decision.

"I'll answer other questions you may have, but I can't right now."

"Now, if you'd still like to talk to the Caer, feel free. If he was this nice to you already, you can most likely keep being friendly and not end up dead in an alley. Just remember that when he's around, you have to play by his rules. You don't want to know what happens when you cross him."

Aurelie ordered another drink from the bar, and started to go back to the VIP section.

as written by duramon

A Caer, and an unknown monster who was her informant on the matter. Aurelie's refusal to entrust her with even such a simple request, and her ability to unleash such an extreme accusation didn't sit well with Rei. A Caer, someone whom peaked above the Vampire race, a race that had largely been taught as a non-existence in Lutetia, suddenly appearing in a bar, from an unknown monsters information. Aurelie hadn't left herself much wiggle room in what she herself could be and how she'd come across such sensitive and rare information, but Rei couldn't afford to make assumptions.

Rei grabbed Aurelie's arm as she went to break away, sliding her back drunkenly and pressing their bodies close in a sensual-looking embrace, her arms draped over her shoulders as she started to sway. Her voice came out playful and warm and she smiled and blushed like she was confessing how much she loved her companion in a drunken stupor.

"I. Don't. Trust. You~." She chimed, rubbing her hands down her companions back "But~." She interrupted herself by pecking Aurelie on the lips "You're fun, so I'll forgive you." She finished playfully. There was a side to Rei that was a little bit....broken, and that side only cared about enjoying itself, and satisfying its curiosity.

She slipped her hands off Aurelie's shoulders and wrapped them around her waist with a smile "Shall we?" She questioned, nodding her head back towards the V.I.P section.

as written by glmstr

Aurelie's face suddenly had more color than ever before, which still wasn't much.
"U-uhh.. O-okay," she wasn't stammering from shyness, instead from sheer surprise. She didn't realize Rei had this kind of side to her that only needed a bit of alcohol to unlock, and on top of that she didn't think Rei had those sorts of feelings for her, even if she's tipsy.
The vampire returned Rei's gesture, wrapping her arm around the proselyte's waist and starting to head back to the VIP section.
"Let's go," she smiled and led her companion.

Nox would return the shake of anyone who returned their offer of a hand, keeping his grip incredibly tight and firm, showing off his strength in the most subtle of ways, without making it overblown or obvious. His eyes would follow the greetings, person to person, that smile remaining the only constant variable during each exchange. His eyes though would pause on Celeste. Narrow. Almost growing hostile. Something about her smelled off. He got the same smell from her as he had from many others. A scent of destiny. Something told him he and this girl would be closely tied. It was the same scent that Sanina had given off, as well as Noemi, Lea, Emily, and to a lesser extent, Rei.

However, Nox's attention was diverted as soon as he saw the two girls go off into an isolated corner. His suspicion, nay, his ire was almost instantly inflamed. To have that other, lesser kindred steal away his prize, so suddenly and so disrespectfully, Nox could only react by having his aura suddenly flare up, but only for the quickest of moments. Ah. A show of lust and desire. And neither girl was displeasing to look at, especially giving their...actions at the moment.

Nox, doing his best to sound flustered, but coming off more overjoyed, finally turned to address Airen, once Rei had returned to his side. "Again, I'm sorry for intruding. Would it be okay for me to come inside though? I promise I won't break anything." That last sentence would be followed up by a quickly sharpened spike in his aura, aimed so that only the younger vampire before him would feel it. Letting him know who was the dominant one here. Though there was hardly any hostility behind it. Whether Airen believed it or not, Nox would play by the rules. For now.

as written by Script

Alveré and Valère's eyes had also followed Rei and Aurelie as they retreated away, though with more curiosity than Nox's outrage. As their antics had unfolded, the two had grinned.

"It looks like we're being outdone," Alveré noted.

Valère hummed in agreement. "We can't have that, can we?"

"Perhaps we should take things up a level?" Alveré mused with a conspiratorial smirk.

"Perhaps you're right." Valère tilted his head thoughtfully, "We'll have to wait until we can catch their attention, though. If this is to be a competition."

____

There was no outward sign of the internal flinch that Arien felt at the surge of Nox's power. No grimace, as he realised he was almost as defenceless as the proselytes in this situation. At least, unless he was willing to raise the stakes. Even then, he didn't know the limits of the Caer's power well enough to gauge whether he'd even survive such a gamble.

He sincerely hoped Sanina knew what she was doing with this one.

"Well, since you're with one of my new friends, I suppose I can make an exception for you," the young vampire replied with a smile. He glanced at the twins, who reluctantly waved a hand at the security guard by the ropes. The tall man - who was still dwarfed by Nox - stepped aside to let him pass, obviously grateful to not have had to get involved.

He turned then to Celeste. "I apologise, but it would be rude of me to leave our new guest so soon. We'll have to save our dance for later." His voice sounded honestly regretful, and although the reason was false, his displeasure was entirely real. There wasn't a chance he was going to leave Nox alone with his prizes.

____

At the bar, Élisabeth brought up a hand to catch Jimmy's incoming kiss on two fingers. "Ah ah," she chided, "I'll forgive your inexperience, but that's not how this game is played." The young woman smiled devilishly, "It's like a dance. There are steps to be followed. It starts like this, with idle conversation and the occasional misplaced hand. We laugh at each others' terrible jokes and unlikely stories."

One hand brushed lightly across Jimmy's leg, briefly enough to have been accidental, "As the night goes on, if you're doing well, the touches linger more. Maybe we dance for a time, and let our hands wander a bit more thoroughly... only then, when we can hardly bear to wait any more, do we..." she trailed off, finishing the sentence with a wink.

"I can't very well let you skip all the way to the end. People would talk. You've got to pursue me, and I play the part of elusive prey. Otherwise it's too predictable, no?"

Her eyes wandered across the room to where Arien and the newcomer, Malcolm, were facing off. She allowed herself a smile. Arien knew how to play the game. He was, perhaps, even better at it than she was. She wasn't sure which of them was pursuing the other, a unique position for her. Before Arien, Élisabeth had always been the one being chased. And she had liked it that way. Now ... she found herself hoping that he noticed her doting on Jimmy.

Instead, he seemed preoccupied with the plain-looking proselyte girl. She suppressed a snort. She wondered if that girl thought she actually had a chance, that Arien would ever be interested in someone like her. Not when someone like Élisabeth was around, certainly. She was comfortable in the knowledge that whatever Arien did with the proselyte girl, it was just a game to him. Not like when he was with her. Their dancing - metaphorical or otherwise - was something to behold. Something special.

____

As Arien was speaking to Celeste, another joined the cluster at the edge of the VIP area. Inarin - no longer content to wait on the couch, unable to hear the conversation over the sound of the music - had set down the empty cocktail glass and made his way over. The shorter boy paused beside Alveré - although he wasn't himself sure which of the twins it was - and placed an idle hand on the older boy's arm. His eyes, however, were on Nox.

"Hello there," he said, smiling meekly, "I'm Inarin. It's ... it's nice to meet you!" His stammering seemed to be diminishing under the growing buzz of alcohol, though his body language was still obviously nervous. The young proselyte was apparently oblivious to the tension in the air, and he gave Rei and Aurelie a cheerful wave as they returned.

Alveré slipped an arm over Inarin's shoulders as he spoke, and Valère slid around to his other side to flank him, mirroring his brother. They seemed almost protective, in contrast to their predatory teasings not minutes before, though there remained a glint of mischief in each of their eyes that was directed primarily at Aurelie.

as written by Faithy

When he felt not her lips upon his, but two fingers instead, Jimmy’s eyes shifted towards hers and he leaned back, listening to her words. He realized he had so much to learn and wondered how many other things he would mess up before the night was over. Just sheepishly nodding at her instructions, Jimmy gasped at the feel of her hand brushing his leg. His cheeks once again grew red and he made a mental note to have more control over his blushing.

“Err, you’re right… I’m sorry.” He was going to say more, but the proselyte glanced over towards Malcolm, realizing just how close Inarin was to the strange male.

Frowning, he opted to hold back on the flirting in lieu of making sure his friends remained safe. That was his job since he was the oldest of the group excluding Pierette, wherever she happened to be at that moment. Absentmindedly more than anything, Jimmy slid his fingers through Élisabeth’s hair, brushing it back a little before dropping back down his hand, his body craving this more than he realized. Now he found himself conflicted between two different scenarios. On the one hand, he really wanted to keep flirting with her, but on the other hand, he needed to make sure Celeste, Aaro, and Inarin remained safe.

as written by Krysis

Celeste was willing to be friendly to Malcolm, smiling up at him as he enclosed her dainty hand in his much larger one. He'd probably be very aware of the dagger hilt inches from his fingers, especially if he had any problem with silver. Then there was a flair of hostility from him and she found her temper bristling again. Her smile froze in a hard line and though her teeth showed between her scarlet tinted lips, one could not call it a happy expression any longer.

Of course, she didn't belong in the VIP section and it was very likely that he was resenting her presence where he had been barred from entering. That was the obvious reason and it made the poverty level girl feel defensive. Which made her angry and quick to retrieve her hand. Celeste never could tolerate being looked down on, even when she honestly deserved it.

"That's okay, Arien. I need to go check on Pierette anyway. Knowing my sister, she is knee-deep in bad decisions and heading for over-her-head by now." Celeste answered her friend, though her dark blue gaze was snapping with annoyance and her tone was determinedly neutral. She'd wait for Malcolm to enter the VIP section before trying to exit, not wanting to be stuck too close to him while she was so mortified and furious.

____

Pierette wasn't really in too much of a bind. At least, not yet. She had tried to dance with a man, but had been rebuffed as being too old for him. After that, she had found some of her old cronies, professional party crashers really, and joined the trio for a joint. The twist of paper and herb was passed around as the three plus Pierette sought a more mellow mood.

Leaning against the wall, the tall woman with the punk hairstyle and the hippie clothes, closed her eyes and tried very hard not to think about her life.

"Hey man, we should play the seven deadly sins game." The other female of the group said and grinned foolishly.

"Why? It's too easy." One of the men answered.

"Because Peril is soooo damn good at it. Come on, Perilous. Who is Sloth tonight?" the other man answered, and elbowed Pierette until she opened her eyes.

"You are, Beginning. You so lazy, it hurts my head how you manage to get into so much trouble." Pierette answered shortly, then laughed and smiled. This was a game she knew and was good at. It was good to have friends that knew how to sooth an ego.

"Lust?" The girl asked, looking around hopefully.

"Sorry, Glory. That'd be long-legs up there in the VIP section. Church boy, you know? No outlets. All pent up and panting." Pierette answered, and pointed up at Jimmy as the boy was getting lessons on flirting from Elizabeth. Each of the quartet had a nickname based on their real name, Pierette was Peril or Perilous, Benjamin was Beginning, Gloriana was merely shortened to Glory, and Edward was Ends. At some point, someone had thought them a clever group, though years of abuse had stolen their glamour and left them on the brink of 30. No wonder none of the rave kids wanted to waste time with the wasted ones.

as written by duramon

Rei returned to the party with Aurelie, holding her fast until they return to the V.I.P's and pulling her tight, giving her an affectionate kiss on the lips before sliding away to Malcolm with a wink, tugging her along by the hand.

"So I see introductions are done~ I'll leave you to get more properly acquainted, I'm sorry to do this to you but I've left these guys alone all night~" She leaned up and pecked Malcolm affectionately on the cheek, feeling quite bold and confident after she managed to make the professional, Aurelie, blush and stutter earlier. She was quite good at this whole flirting thing if she did say so herself. The Proselyte looked towards the twins and spun Aurelie in front of her.

"I'm terribly sorry to intrude when you guys were getting so close, I'm especially sorry to ruin the view of you four standing together~" She paused to let her tease sink in with a playful grin. "But I'm going to have to insist on a trade, I want to talk to Inarin about a few things, he's the reason I came tonight after all." She explained, holding Aurelie in front of her like a peace offering "Aurelie can keep you guys company, add another woman's touch to the group hm?" She offered, nudging Aurelie and smiling sheepishly.

She hadn't become acquainted with anyone else here so she knew she was being rude, but she hoped it worked out anyway. Inarin was on her list, and Rei was a determined girl, even if it meant embarrassing herself as a cheap floozy and being rude in order to get a few minutes alone. In fact at this point, the girl hadn't a clue what she was going to say to the boyish Proselyte.

She needed more alcohol.

as written by glmstr

"I hope we get to speak more later~" Aurelie smiled and returned the kiss before Rei slipped away. However, before she realized it, Rei was pushing her to the twins and Nox and seeming to offer her up as a trade good.
"Wait, I'm being traded as cattle now? ... meh, whatever," she sighed and went along with this 'trade' of Rei's. She didn't like the idea of having to face Nox and the twins alone, now with all of their attention focused on her thanks to the proselyte's sudden affection. Come to think of it, as long as neither party was necessarily mad at her about it, who knows, she might enjoy herself.
"Er, uh, I'm back then."

Nox would smile boldly. Perhaps this girls boldness was not so out of line after all. It was entertaining to say the leash, and for once, for some one to have the gall to dance in and out of his grip so freely, made him feel special, normal. It was quaint. Nox would take a seat across from the twins, barely acknowledging Arien's continued hostility, or the sudden tantrum from the church bitch. Now that he'd gained admittance, the Caer was determined to live himself up a little, catching a server by air.

"Red wine, mixed with your finest absinthe. Make sure its a fruity blend, something with a bit of a kick to it, alcohol content wise. And if you don't come back with what I ordered, I swear I'll make you swallow your teeth."

The first words he'd say without so much as pretending to hide who he was. He could feel the eyes on him. Let them stare. Let them gawk. He'd have his fun for as long as he could, and the more panicked they became, the more powerful he would feel. Thats what all this was about. A silly game of how big he could make his ego. Everyone would leave this party alive, that was for sure. Sanina had made him promise not to interfere with Arien and his dealings.

And Nox wouldn't. Not too much, anyway.

as written by Script

Inarin blinked as Nox brushed past him without so much as a glance, dropping his hand back down to his side awkwardly. It was the sort of snub that would have crushed his confidence well and truly, had he been sober, but the buzz of drink dulled the blow somewhat. It was still disheartening, to say the least.

But the twins were still there, warm and pleasantly close, and then he heard Rei speak his name and he glanced up to catch the tail end of her sentence.

Alveré and Valère eyed Rei dubiously as she made her clumsy 'offer', exchanging a glance. Both opened their mouths to speak, but Alveré was slightly ahead of his brother, who halted to let him speak.

"If Inarin wants to go, then of course," he smiled, "We don't mind. We've not got him on a leash..." he let the teasing hint of a 'yet' hover unspoken in the air, but never formed the word itself.

Valère seemed a little more reluctant by contrast, but he shrugged his shoulders in compliance.

Inarin's expression was one of confusion. "I was the reason?" he asked, tone obviously disbelieving.

Alveré nudged him forwards, "Go on, talk. We'll be waiting for you when you get back." He gave the boy a wink. Inarin flushed behind a smile, Nox's snub already forgotten, and stepped down from the VIP area to make his way across to Rei.

"What ... what did you mean, I'm the reason you're here? And what did you want to talk about?" He asked hesitantly.

____

In the meantime, the twins led Aurelie back to the couch, resuming their position upon it - though this time positioned so they were sat together, rather than flanking her. Alveré - the closest to her - seemed poised to speak, when Nox's order cut across him.

His expression darkened, and he rose back to his feet. "Don't threaten our staff!" he challenged, folding his arms. "This is a warehouse rave, not a wine bar."

Valère also stood, placing a calming hand on his brother's arm in support, though he said nothing.

Before Nox had a chance to reply, Arien had swept in. "Ah, I'm quite sure Malcolm wasn't being serious," he said, flashing a disarming smile and subtly interposing himself between them and Nox. "Who would be about something like that?" He laughed - and despite its falsehood, it was a convincingly genuine laugh. Because who would make a threat like that over a glass of wine, right?

The twins continued to glower for a few moments longer, but eventually Alveré snorted indignantly and allowed Valère to draw him back down to the couch with Aurelie.

____

"What is with this guy," Élisabeth murmured, "I can't figure him out. He's all over the place. Meek, cheerful, demanding..." She sighed, leaning back onto the bar and glancing across at Jimmy. "What do you think, hm? I find people-watching to be a good way to pass the time, but this new guy ... I can't make heads nor tails of him." She chuckled. If she didn't know better, she'd have thought he even had Arien flustered - but of course he was still all smooth smiles and charm. He made it look effortless, she noted with a sigh.

as written by Krysis

Glory nudged Pierette and pointed her chin at the two skinny chicks making out near the bar. "You sure those aren't Lust?"

Perilous watched Rei and Aurelie for a moment, then shook her head. "They are faking it. Look at how they keep their legs from tangling. Professionals looking to chum the waters, I'd say."

"Well, I'd say they did a good job of it. Just about every male in the place is watching those two now." Ends pointed out, his voice a little hoarse.

"Lots of the women too." Beginning added, lifting a beer in salute to a cluster of teenagers that caught his eye.

"Pride is next on the list." Glory grumbled, pouting a bit at the attention those two were receiving.

"Toby is here, sneering at everyone that orders beer, and he is usually a good choice... but I think that guy in white beats him tonight. That guy acts like he is a king pretending to be a peasant, and we're supposed to bow, but not notice." Pierette observed, watching Nox for a moment before she shuddered and looked away, straight at the approaching Celeste.

"And here comes baby sister, playing the part of Wrath. Wonder what has her panties in a twist this time?" Ends asked as he grinned lewdly at the shorter and more athletic girl.

"Can't be us this time," Beginning muttered, already defensive, "We haven't done anything wrong. Yet."

About that moment, Celeste stalked into their little group and gave each of the four a hard stare that was only partly ruined by how her fisted hands trembled at her sides. "Don't you guys have anything better to do than to stand around and get wasted? Go on and dance or something!"

Pierette looked alarmed, then tilted her head at the others to tell them to vamoose.

While they were walking away, Glory whined, "But We still had Gluttony, Greed and Envy to choose!" and the men consoled her with picking random targets to discuss.

Celeste struggled to regain her cool, then gave a little sob and leaned against the wall, much as Pierette had done earlier. She looked miserable at her sister and explained in a harsh whisper, "No matter what I do, they look down on me. Mother cleaned houses and hotels, and that makes me less somehow."

"And Dad was a lumberjack, but that's okay. They did the best they could for all of us. It's not like we had it any easier, you know. At least you have the backing of the church. We just had each other." Pierette answered gently, though she was a bit grumpy too at being expected to actually act like an adult for once.

as written by Faithy

Jimmy studied Malcolm along with his friends during their interactions. His attention had drifted momentarily to Rei and Aurelie, but didn’t linger long. Mostly, he watched Inarin, though he did note that Aaro was still on the ground. Snorting a little, the male’s attention was brought back to the very hot female he was sitting next to at that moment.

“He’s hiding something.” Jimmy had learned enough watching other proselytes in different classes to know when someone was pretending to be something they weren’t. However, he had no idea what Malcolm truly was and now that he thought about it, wasn’t pretty much everyone at least up in the VIP section pretending? Exhaling, he returned her attention back towards Élisabeth and forced a smile.

“I mean, who else gets pissed off to the point of threatening to inflict harm if their drink isn’t right?” He tried to whisper, but he was growing intoxicated, which made it difficult to do things quietly.

Back