The Vampire's Apprentice

Norville lay in silence for nearly a whole minute. "But if the worry is rational, why is the manner irrational? That doesn't make sense."

"Me. Leave me alone." Kitty responded. Most of her tone was irritation, but a part of it was sadness. Still, she did not want to be bothered and very much hoped that innuendo had come across clearly enough.

Norville was about to say something else when Clancy walked in.
"Epilepsy?" Clancy asked mildly.
Norville looked up. "Huh?"
"You became a drug addict to control your epileptic seizures?" Clancy expounded.
"Oh... Yeah."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Kitty asked—almost grumbled—since she was not quite sure what "epilepsy" happened to be and disliked the way he put "seizure" afterwards. It was a sourly-tainted question, despite her slight attempt not to sound too annoyed.

Clancy raised a brow at her tone but answered her question. "Epilepsy is a neurological disorder of the brain that often causes seizures and is moderately common as far as brain disorders go. Sometimes, the seizures are so mild that you might not even notice them, and sometimes they are major, like the one we witnessed tonight."
"Sorry," Norville apologized vaguely.

She sighed deeply. The worries started to come back, and she closed her eyes, trying to think of anything else. What would the sensible part of her ask? The part that doesn't want to run and hide from everything—what would it say?

"What do I do if it happens again?" Kitty asked, a little less sharply, rolling over again to face the two of them.

Clancy looked at Norville. "Your mother said she introduced you to marijuana to control the symptoms. Is this correct?"

"Yes, sir," Norville nodded. "It helps other things, too, and we couldn't keep up with the regular medication when we moved so much. Besides, the stuff that actually worked made me sick. So... pot it was."

"Alright, I shall see about obtaining some for you," Clancy sighed. Then he turned to Kitty. "All you have to do is make certain he does not hurt himself and help him back up after it has passed. If it lasts longer than five minutes, then you should call the authorities, but otherwise, there is not much to be done. It should not happen often, especially once I obtain his... medication."

"Alright," she agreed. More like acknowledged, but that was moot. Kitty sat up to take her shoes off, finally remembering they were still on.

Clancy sat on the bed next to Kitty and put an arm lightly around her shoulders. "I know it was scary, but now that we know why, everything is going to be fine," he assured her softly. "You do not have to be scared or worried now."

One shoe came off, then the other, and her face disappeared into the tidy folds of his shirt, hiding herself behind a sheet of curling hair and tense shoulders that were raised because she had decided to hug him.

It seemed, to her, as though trouble followed wherever they went, and she had partially come to blame herself for it, having caused much of the chaos in his life. Even now, now that they were no longer in the same state, destruction trailed behind them in their coming and going. It was making her anxious; everything was a threat now, despite how much she attempted to ignore the thoughts during the daytime, while they were exploring.

At least he was safe. Clancy was safe, and the dangers wouldn't come while he was around. He would protect them. Things would be alright. So she tried to believe.

Last edited:
Clancy could not fully understand why she was so tense. He didn't understand why she was so worried. Yes, Epilepsy was a scary thing, especially when a seizure came out of nowhere, but it was in hand. Norville's life was not in danger from it, despite how scary it appeared. Perhaps she wasn't as okay with the move as she'd originally let on. Or even if she was alright with the move, perhaps she was just feeling the strain? He knew she was worried, and could not understand why, but he knew she needed comfort more than a lecture on why everything was fine.

"It's alright," he soothed, pulling her into a full hug. "Everyone and everything is okay. You are safe. Everyone is safe. I promise."

Her hands balled into fists, grasping his shirt. She promised herself she wasn't going to cry, but shuddering breaths said otherwise. If it weren't for the occasional shaky inhalation, she would have been absolutely silent.

It was a long minute before she calmed, though in the end, Kitty did regain herself. A part of her felt better, another part felt worse, but neither side was pressing so hard as before. With great reluctance, she pulled away, if only to wipe the damp from her eyes. She didn't look up.

Clancy carefully brushed her cheeks with his thumbs. "There we are!" he said brusquely. "Much better. Now, I do need to step out for a few minutes, but I will be back in... half an hour or so? Is there anything you need while I am out? Perhaps something from the market?"

She looked to Norville only briefly before letting her gaze drop again. "Sam's food is getting close to the bottom." Kitty answered quietly.

Back