Land Down Under (KJDarKnight & Treasure)

"Perfect" he nodded and lead the way, he hoped they wouldn't find anything else and that they had caught the issue in time "so...that was some impressive skill back there..."

Arena glanced at him. "Skill?" she repeated, not sure what he was referring to. She turned her gaze back to the trees, trying to spot any animals acting strange.

"Yes, the way you handled that thing back there, the way you moved" he explained "you underestimate how unprepared most of us are for this kind of life.."

Arena didn't smile, but she was clearly pleased by his praise. "Thank you. It is nothing for me, and I know but forget how limited you are. Different dangers mean different skills, yes?"

"Exactly" he nodded "we can learn a lot from you...I'm glad you decided to stay with us" he went on, looking around as he did. Rabid animals wouldn't be scared off by them talking and being loud. If anything it would attract them. "

"It is good to be with a pack." So far, Arena hadn't spotted anything, but they still had some ground to cover to be sure. Nothing but rabbit and squirrel tracks in the snow along with some older deer tracks. "Where did they set the traps?" she asked.

"We aren't a pack like you're used to" he said "we're..a team" he shrugged then pointed off the direction they needed to head "off that way"

"It's hard to explain. Similar in a lot of ways but me for example. I'm not the alpha like you think of it. You don't have to do everything I say. You can speak your mind and do what you wish...I don't want you to feel like you can't do whatever you want you know?"

Arena considered his words for a bit, mulling them over as she tried to compare the wolf pack to this human "pack." It was a bit difficult considering how different the two were.

She pointed forward. "The trap caught something. I think pig. Careful. Caught pigs mean."

Mathias nodded "yeah I've caught one before" he pulled out his hunting knife, approaching but not getting too close yet, looking for any sign of rabies, he hoped there wouldn't be any

The big boar was certainly in a right state, having torn up the ground all around it yet somehow managing not to break the thin lin holding it to the tree. It snorted angrily, not having noticed the other two yet as it attacked the tree next to it. The wrong tree.

Arena watched for a bit then told Mathias, "Clean. Not infected. Just mad. Bigg! Much food."

he nodded "yes this is great" he agreed, giving the animal a once over before he slipped in and between the animals thrashings and with a single jab stabbed it through the eye with his long hunting knife, a quick precise kill.

The pig squealed and thrashed once, tossing its meaty, tusked head hard then fell over, body trembling and spasming as the brain died.

Arena frowned at Mathias disapprovingly. "Pear better for pig. Not so close. Big pigs mean," she scolded then stepped forward to unhook the trap.

"Well I don't have a spear" he pointed out, he could have used the gun he supposed but he hated to waste the bullets "I realize it's not the best but I'm fine aren't I?" he crouched and go the rope off from around the foot so they could re-set the trap and keep going

Arena didn't say anything, just lifted her spear slightly and walked around him, leaving him to reset the trap. She still needed to be on the lookout for any infected creatures, but she doubted there were any around here. The cannibal creature had likely traveled here when his group kicked him out.

Mathias smirked "Alright, you get the next one then" he said before hefting the boar up over his shoulder after resetting the trap. "No sign of infected animals yet, that's good... maybe we stopped it in time"

Arena turned and grabbed the boar's other hind leg to help drag it back to the cave. "Yes, I think we are safe, but still watchful," she agreed, satisfied. "I will hunt more fuzzy creatures now we have much meat."

he nodded "as Long as we stick with staying in pairs we'll be ok I think" Though Jonah was by himself at the moment but the fire would keep him safe for now, he'd go take over soon, just had to get the boar back first

Back