Land Down Under (KJDarKnight & Treasure)

Justira jerked a little not expecting it but settled back when she saw who it was, not apposed to sharing warmth.

Pepper settled down on her own as did Misty, though she was finding hard to fell asleep, used to sleeping beside Jonah. She didn't like this separated thing.

Peter didn't seem to mind Badru looking after him, partly because he admired the man and partly because he was tired

Through the night the rain froze on the ground and turned to gentle falling snow, though most were asleep by then. They were lucky to have gotten there before the first snow hit but it also put a lot of pressure on finding and storing food for winter

Badru wrapped Peter up in his blanket as well as Badru's own blanket, making certain he was well-dried and warm. "Be dry, be warm," he told Peter quietly. "Do you hurt?"

She turned a little to watch the people within. From here, she could see both sides of the curtain. Badru looking after Peter caught her eye. The giant had caused her pause and fear when she'd first caught sight of him, but with his pup, he was gentle and quiet. Perhaps he was not like the ones she was used to that lived on the surface, just as these people from underground were not the same. It made her wonder... were they different from the rest, or were the ones she'd met and been with just been rotten bad luck?

Peter sleepily yawned and shook his head, not using any words as he drifted off to sleep snuggled up in the blankets Badru had wrapped him up in.

Mathias had by then put on another set of clothes and went to go take watch and paused briefly when he noticed her by the mouth of the cave. he walked over after a moment though "You ok?"

Badru smiled briefly down at Peter. He laid down next to Peter and wrapped his arms around the boy, holding him close. It helped an ache in his heart, one he tried to ignore as he held Peter tight. He'd protect this boy against anything. This boy and mother.

She looked up at Mathias then back down. "I am human," she said softly. "I have not been human for a long time, but I am one, aren't I?"

Peter smiled sleepily and snuggled right up with Badru, falling asleep shortly after

Mathias took a seat on the other side of the opening as not to crowd her too much. "Course you are" he answered without hesitation "you can't change what you are born as"

She sighed, shifting unhappily. "I wanted to be a wolf. They kept me alive when others left us to die." She glanced at Mathias. "I wish I remembered my name. No one has used it in a long time."

"Just because you're a human doesn't mean you can't be allies with the wolves. Learn from them and appreciate them for what they are but in the end. You're human and belong with humans that accept you as you are.... look at Badru and Justira. We adopted them in" he encouraged

"I am not wolf. I am not human. I am... in between," she sighed. "I would like to be in your pack, I think.
It is not easy."

"Not as hard as you think. We're a pretty accepting bunch." He said "we are all figuring out our place now and how we are going to survive... we can help each other. "

She dipped her head. "I will help you." She paused for a minute. "Ar... Arena. Yes. My name was Arena. Is that a good name?"

Mathias smiled "that's a beautiful name, Arena" he said "welcome to our mismatched pack of humans" he hoped she would feel welcome and happy with them

Come morning the ground was frozen and the snow layered over it in a soft thin blanket. They had to hope the sun would thaw out the ground so they could get out and collect food and supplies

Charlie was already awake and heating up some water, putting together some herbs to make a hot tea for everyone when they woke

Lynna dressed then stretched and went over to sit near Charlie's fire. "That smells good. What is it?"

Jonah casually wandered in the general direction of Misty. It had felt weird not to sleep near her, but he didn't want to assume she felt the same. Had she at least slept well?

Gray was up and feeling better than he had in days! This cave thing, whatever it was, blocked out the sun entirely, which meant it was a bit dark in here for the others, but he no longer felt as if his soul was being siphoned out through his skin. Fantastic! He went off to explore the dark edges, noting with interest how the top and bottom seemed to curve together to meet. This shape was so familiar...

Charlie looked up when she came over amd smiled "it's just an herbal blend. Herbs have natural healing qualities and with the weather so cold I thoight it a good idea to make some tea. Warm everyone up and has some good stuff to help keep us from getting sick" he explained

--

Misty sat quietly by the fire with the blankets still wrapped around herself, the bags under her eyes suggested she hadn't slept too well

"I've never been fond of tea, but beggers can't be choosers! And anything hot sounds good right now," Lynna said cheerfully. "Hey, later, do you want to go check out the world outside? See what there is to see?"

~~

Jonah stopped near her and shoved his hands in his pockets. "You look like crap," he stated. "The wolf scaring you last night?"

"Well its good for ya. Just think of it as medacine" he suggested "if we can find some honey for a sweetener that always helps" hr said, checking the tea but wasn't steeped enough yet

"Sure! That sounds great. We should know what's around us" he reasoned.

-

"Oh gee thanks" Misty said but offered a small smirk and patted the ground next to her, inviting him to sit.
"No the wolf kept to himself I just...got used to sleeping by you" she admitted and flushed a little pink "i feel..safe when I'm close to you"

"I have no idea how to find honey, but maybe that wolf-girl can help," Lynna suggested.

~

"Oh." Jonah hesitated then sat down next to Misty. "I got used to sleeping with you, too." He blushed, realizing what that sounded like. "Next to you, I mean!"

"Im sure she could" Charlie smiled "kind of lucky with that. The more help we can get learning to survive the better right?"

-

Misty was sure she had never seen him blush before. It was..kind of cute and made her smile a little "Who says we can't keep sleeping..next to each other? I mean...unless you don't...want to sleep with me..next to me I mean" she blushed again. The thought of being more than a friend to him was exciting but she doubted that's what he wanted

"So, what do we have for food beyond tea?" Lynna asked, adding a small stick to the fire.

~

Jonah wished he could go stick his head in a snowbank, but there wasn't enough snow for that. "Yep, next to, that sounds good," he agreed, nodding and avoiding her eyes. "It's,, um, warmer... safer... very good."

Back