Land Down Under (KJDarKnight & Treasure)

"Still have some rationa from desolation but I think we should save those. They keep for..well forever. So we have some root vegetables...we really need some protein..meat eggs.."

--

Misty smiled and looked over at him again. "A plan then..." she hesitated a moment but chickened out of saying anything "warmer..is good"

Pepper sat up shaking her head a little "come on you two. Not fooling anyone but yourselves. You clearly like each other" she said bluntly before she stood up, blanket wrapped around herself as she went to fetch her clothes she had let dry overnight

"Beans and legumes," Lynna suggested. "I remember reading those have protein. So do bugs." She made a face at that.

~~

Jonah had almost stopped blushing, but now it was back full force. He hadn't realized Pepper was right there and still naked. Not to mention what she'd said. He looked down at his hands and fidgeted.

"True but I don't think we have many of either.." he checked the bag again. Keeping track of the food and rations had sort of defaulted to him.

--

Misty blushed dark red and stared at the fire. She couldn't find words now, terribly embarrassed and shy

Lynna nodded. "True... so we'll talk to wolf-girl and maybe Mathias and go exploring." She looked over to where the old wolf lay curled up in a warm spot near the fire, still dozing. "I wonder if the wolf will be any help?"

~~

"I should, um, go and help... things... gotta get ready," Jonah stammered, standing. "Good talk. Yep."

"Maybe when he is healed" Charlie reasoned before pouring her a cup of tea "here drink up"

--

Misty pulled up her knee's and hugged them "yeah...good...talk" she didn't look up at him

"Thanks." Lynna accepted the cup and cradled it in her hands. "So, um, Charles... I wanted to talk to you about something," she said uncomfortably.

~~

"See you tonight." Jonah hurried away, shoulders hunched. He went to Mathias, needing something to distract him, so he went to see what he should be doing. Now she knew... and Pepper had said both of them. Did that mean Misty liked him the way he liked her? He wasn't sure if he dared hope. He was a miserable, cranky, pessamist. Who could tolerate that for long when not in a survival situation?

"Sure whats up?" He asked, pouring his own cup and looking up at her

-

Misty nodded silently, not looking up until he was walking away, just more conflicted than ever. He'd awkwardly walked away, neither one of them.addressing the situation. Sue didn't know what to make of that.

"Thanks a lot Pepper..." she mumbled before she stood up, not really sure where to go or what to do.

--

Mathias was pulling on gloves, clearly vetting ready to go out. "Jonah good. Could use your help. We need to get firewood in here to be drying out for later" he found his back up pair of gloves and offered them to him.

"So, um, I've kind of gotten some vibes from you, and I wanted to make certain I was reading them right before I acted on anything," Lynna said. She took a sip of her tea. "Good tea, by the way. Anyway, I don't want to assume anything, but do you have any feelings for me?"

~~

Gray came over to Misty, smiling brightly. "Are you dressed? I want to show you something!" he signed excitedly.

~~

"Thanks," Jonah said, accepting the gloves. "Anyone else coming with?" He grabbed his pack to use it for wood. The more wood they could bring back the better, and maybe they could find food, too. "Where's wolf-girl? I haven't seen her this morning."

Charlie looked up, surprised "well yeah..Thought I made that clear but..maybe not? Just figured you weren't interested" he said, for having thought that, he had taken it graciously

--

Misty nodded yes to his question. She had gotten dressed before the others had gotten up "what is it?" She asked

--

Mathias shook his head "nah let them take it easy. We can handle it today I think" he said glancing at the others "and I only have two pairs of gloves besides..we'll set some traps while we are out " he said glancong towards the wolf, he shrugged "she wouldn't have gone far without her wolf friend"

"Yeah, well, sometimes things can be a little murky between two people, so I just wanted to make absolutely certain I wasn't misunderstanding," Lynna told him. She hummed softly in thought. "I'm not sure I'm interested, but I'm not sure I'm not interested, either. Sorry to be confusing. It's just... with so much going on, I'm feeling really distracted. I don't want to hurt your feelings or make you feel like I'm putting you on hold, but I'd like to make certain we aren't all going to starve to death before I make up my mind. I hope you're okay with that."

~~

Gray gestured for her to follow him and pointed to her pack. "Bring a flashlight. It is a little dark over here." He started walking toward the far edge of the cave.

~~

Jonah grunted softly in agreement and headed toward the entrance. "Probably deeper in the woods we'll find some stuff that was protected from the rain and snow."

Charlie shrugged "I understand" he assured her "I'm not going to stress about it or be hurt if you decide you're not" seemed pretty chill about the whole thing "thanks foe telling me though...I do appreciate that"

--

Misty dug one out of her pack, not saying anything as she moved to follow him

--

Mathias nodded "that's the plan. So stick close"

Lynna eyed him skeptically. "Well. That was easier than I expected. Anyway, ready to go out searching for food? And whatever else we can find?"

~~

Gray led Misty back toward the other smaller hole that no one had tried as either entrance or exit as of yet, but he turned back into the shadows where the roof dipped low and pointed. He didn't bother to sign, knowing she couldn't see his hands well in this dim lighting. All along this area, crumbly lines of what looked like some kind of stone building material marked out straight lines. Squares and rectangles etched out a pattern on the floor and some on the ceiling. With a little imagination, one could fill in the walls that had once stood here though nothing else of the living quarters remained but dust, ashes, and some dark stains where fires once burned.

~~

"Yes, sir," Jonah agreed calmly. He needed a quiet trek out in the air to clear his head.

"I'm an easy going guy" he smiled "besides there's more pressing matters now than that" then he glanced towards the exit "shouldn't we eat first?" He looked back up at her

--

Misty shone the flashlight around, what she saw made her shudder "this is where the cannibals lived.." she took a step back

Lynna shrugged. "How about something quick? We might find something out there."

~~

Gray stepped into the beam of her flashlight. "It is just a story, and from what we saw, those cannibals were more interested in taking over stuff than building their own home. This was someone's home a long time ago. There were even children."

"Nothing here that doesn't require cooking" he told her "out of apples...I guess we can wait"

--

She looked at the marked out spaces "they had to start somewhere...I don't like it Gray" she took another step back "why did you show me this? I was trying to forget what happened here"

"I'm sure we can find something." Lynna pulled on her coat. "Come on, let's go see what we can find!"

~~

Gray sighed in disappointment. "It is just a story, Misty, probably an untrue one. This just shows that once upon a time, a happy village lived here. That means we can have a happy village here, too."

Charlie nodded and grabbed a coat, getting up to join her "we should be careful not to go too far...I'm not a great fighter or anything" should anything attack them.
--

Misty looked back at the village remains "stories come somewhere" she said, still uncertain about it all

"Agreed," Lynna said. "About the staying close, not about you not being a good fighter. I think you'd do fine if we had to fight." She rubbed her hands briskly together. "Right! Let's go experience our first snow!"

~~

Gray smiled at her. "Try to focus on the hope," he told her. "I am going to keep looking here. I am curious to learn more about these people. If you are uncomfortable, you should return to the fires. Someone needs to keep an eye on them."i

~~

Jonah bent down to pick up a large stick. When he straightened, the wolf-girl stood right in front of him. He yelped in shock and stumbled back. He tripped and landed square on his rump. Arena, for her part, watched him curiously. She still wore her fairly skimpy hides, but she'd wrapped her feet in thin, supple leather that left no trace of her passing anywhere but in loose snow. Even then it was hard to discern.

Misty glanced back over, they could see the fires still from where they were "The don't need me..." did anyone need her? She didn't feel like it. She didn't know where her place was here.

--

Charlie smirked "You'd probably fare better than me if it came to it" he reasoned "Never even held a weapon... I mean unless you count a kitchen knife"

--

Mathias glanced back over at him "Arena, there you are" he said, not overly alarmed, he hadn't heard her which was slightly unsettling

Gray glanced at her, surprised. "That's a strange lie to tell yourself," he remarked, trying to keep in her light. "Of course we need you. It is just quiet right now because everyone is exhausted after traveling so long."

~~

"I don't know, a kitchen knife is a pretty good weapon," Lynna smirked.

~~

Arena turned her gaze from Jonah and pulled a string of large, fat pigeons from where it hung over her shoulder. She presented it to Mathias in a very matter of fact way. There looked to be around ten birds hanging dead by their feet from the string.

"That girl is as quiet as a ghost," Jonah grumbled as he got to his feet and collected his wood.

Back