Olympian's Blood 1x1

She sighed at his hard look and shook her head. Theo had taken her jest far too seriously. As if a guy wanted someone like her. She was no glass-slipper of a girl that usually stood an inch taller than boys her age. Add that to being a recluse who trained to fight with her grandmother, along with powers, and she was just diving right into freak territory. The idea of her being taken was laughable at best.

Theo seemed to have gone to sleep and she answered the door when their food arrived. She brought in two covered plates. "Steak and potatoes, Theo. Wake up." With that, she put his plate on the small table and sat down to her own steak. Slicing it, Maroe found it perfectly cooked to medium. "Mmmm...."

Theo woke, the pillow stuck to his face. He peeled it off, and flipped his body, looking at Maroe... She had.... She had brought him food! He smiled, walked to the table and sat in front of his plate. He looked at Maroe, then back down at his plate... He pulled the wooden chair out, sitting in the cushioned seat, inhaling sharply, as if he expected the chair to hurt him, and sat down, still dwelling on what Maroe had said, and his smile faded. He looked at his steak and began eating. His appetite was found, and an audible 'Ah' escaped his lips, the taste almost alien to his tongue. He continued eating, although he can't finish the steak, for his stomach still wasn't used to the amount of food a normal meal provides.

Maroe finished her steak and potatoes with gusto and sat back into her chair. "Now, that was a good dinner," she sighed in satisfaction. Her eyes drifted to Theo as she took a sip of her root beer. "So, I think we can safely say you're demi-god most wanted...and we know why...sort of. You seemed to know those three demons. Were they familiar? And how do we find who gives these quests?"

"I know them from ... I know them from..." He cut himself off, biting his lip, diverting his gaze from her, poking at his potatoes... "I... I can't say. I can't remember anything..." He muttered, looking at his potatoes.

"Um... about the quests, we could go and ask the three demigods who were looking for me... Or we could follow them, see if they report to someone... Maybe we'll get a vision. Other than that, I don't know. We don't have many leads." Theo muttered, cautiously taking a sip of the dark liquid in the glass, raising an eyebrow. He nearly did a spit-take when the rich taste of sassafras held his tongue.

"What is this stuff?" He asked, smiling at Maroe. "This is awesome!" He took a longer sip of the drink, aware of what it actually was.

"You want to follow the people we just ditched?" Maroe replied, her brow raising quizically. He took a sip of the root beer as she was asking and the question was eclipsed by his sudden revelation. She nearly jumped when he asked her what it was.

"It's root beer," she replied in bemusement, "You've never had it?"

He settled back into his chair... Maybe I have drank root beer before... I can't remember... She must like it, because I saw her drink the same thing. I wonder if her boyfriend drinks it...
He was lost in thought again, his eyebrows furrowed as his smile faded.

"N-never mind. Just... yes. I mean, do you have a better plan?" He muttered, pushing his plate away, his gaze just below her eyes... The task, once again was too daunting for anyone to try

"It's a favorite of mine...root beer that is...ever since I was little. Gramma would make me root beer floats..." Her voice trailed off as her grip on the bottle tightened some. He didn't want to hear about her memories. They had work to do. " Anyways, I don't know anything about these other demi-gods or how these so called quests work," Maroe replied, "But following the people who want you dead...doesnt sound like a good idea. Plus, they're all the way back in Queens. I'd rathee follow this evidence trail and that starts with this camp. Any ideas in that?"

Theo shook his head in the negative, blushing as he stared at his plate, his potatoes probably cold by now. He sighed, curling his lip... He didn't want to think about how useless he was in their mission to find why he was a criminal...

"What's a root beer float?" He asked his cold potatoes, trying to steer the conversation away from this so called camp, and the gods who want him dead, nor did he want to think of the three murder machines she calls demigods...

So far, he'd been useless at planning and mediocre at combat. How was she supposed to help this guy if he wouldn't step up to the plate? Not that she had been given much choice but to help him. Such a..watery...approach to things. Frowning, she put down her bottle, and her eyes met his, staring into them for a long while. "It's vanilla ice cream with root been poured on top," she said quietly, "You sat you don't remember, but you'd have to remember something. Think about it, Theo. When did all of this start happening? Whats the most solid image in your mind?" Sometimes thinking back helped her sort out the dreams she had, perhaps it would work for him too.

"A girl... I can't quite explain it... She... is the daughter of Poseidon..." He clutched his head trying to remember, but just couldn't...

How many women had Poseidon been fooling around with exactly? The thought crossed her mind and she immediately shoved it to the back, though it was quickly becoming a valid question.

"So, a half sister of yours at the least," Maroe replied, "And that's new information...what do you remember about her. Close your eyes and think."

Theo racked his brain for anything else, but he couldn't remember any more than her face...
"She... lived with me... I... I can't... Im sorry..." He muttered, standing from the table, tired of her poking and prodding.
"Look, maybe we were never meant to find out..."

Maroe stood with him and crossed her arms. "So that's it, huh? You just give up that easily? For someone who's so tired of running, you don't seem keen on solving the problem. You can't run forever, Theo. If you try, you die and you'll pretty much ruined my life along with it. Make a decision."

Her temper and sparked enough that she was glaring in a mix of anger and dissapointment, before she turned on her heels and went to her bed. Flipping out the light, she rolled over and closed her eyes, which reminded her of the cuts on her cheek. "Ow." With grumble she snatched up her pillow and punched it into the shape she wanted before closing her eyes. She was tired and achy from the fight and all she wanted was sleep.

"I..." He was going to retaliate, but decided against it... He didn't want to poke the bear... He really was lost, and he didn't know what to do... Theo's lip trembled, but he refused to shed any tears. After all, he did think he was a hero... He sighed, and, turned in for bed, wrapping himself in a warm blanket, but somehow feeling worse than sitting in the cold train car... He eventually drifted off...

After Maroe had fallen asleep, she had another dream...

Maroe was overlooking a baseball field surrounded by wooded hills, and various buildings hidden behind the trees. On the field, there was a game going on. A player was on each plate, and another batter stepped up. It was... Theo. A more attractive version of Theo anyways. He didn't look exhausted and frightened like he usually did, and he had more muscle than he does in real life. A lot more. (After Maroe was done staring,) He stepped up to the plate, holding his bat up, ready to swing. The pitcher smirked, lighting the ball ablaze, and threw the flaming baseball at Theo.

He struck the ball with ease, sending it flying out , earning him a home run, and four points for his team. A whistle could be heard whistling, signifying the end of the game, which Simon's team had won. There were crowds of teens on a set of bleachers watching the game, and they were all cheering, chanting Theo's name. He smiled, and watched a girl run up to him on the field... It was a girl... She was wearing a pair of skinny jeans, and a blue T-shirt that read "Camp Kennedy" She had stunning dark hair, which she had brushed off to one side, and alluring green eyes, her cherry red lips breaking into a grin as she slung her arms around his shoulder, kissing him. He kissed back, and they whispered some inaudible things to each other, Maroe couldn't hear no matter what...

The scene faded out, and a new one faded in. It was a low, brown cabin, with sea shells carved into the walls. There was a small, miniature fountain at the head of the room, and the walls were lined with bunks and chests. At the opposite end as the fountain, was a small door, which opened to reveal Theo and the girl walk in...
"Great job out there, superstar..." The girl cooed, walking over to the fountain, and manipulating the water so droplets floated in the air.
"It's because you were cheering for me, Jaina." He laughed, leaning against the wall, watching her play with the water.
"Oh pshaw. You were doing all of the work. And I go by Jackie now, you know that." She giggled, looking at him, more droplets rose from the fountain, floating around the room.
"I don't understand why you don't like the name Jaina. It's beautiful." Theo mentioned, looking at his fingernails.
"I'm not an old lady. I want a normal name..." She said gliding over to him. She pushed him against the wall, kissing his lips...
"Anyways... There's a lot of unused beds since it's just you and I... Why don't we roll around in one of them?" She whispered to him, kissing his face gingerly, leaving marks from her lipstick.
"Jaina... We've talked about this. We could be half siblings... we can't do this..." He muttered as she pushed him onto the nearest bed.
"All the other campers already think we've done it, and I've seen some of the stuff you've done, plus Poseidon never claimed you. We just saw you manipulate water. You can't be the son of Poseidon... I know you're something else, and I think you know it, too."
" I can't say for sure... I can't seem to remember anything. It's like I can't remember a single thing when I was young." He said softly, but Jaina was preoccupied with unzipping his pants, rubbing him sensually.
"We're still young, and so is the night... Just relax and let me do the work... and please... don't forget about me..." She said, passionately kissing the boy...

Maroe woke in the middle of the night, in a cold sweat, before the scene could get any steamier... Theo was already fast asleep...

Maroe wiped at her brow with the back of her shaking hand, feeling the cool sweat smear across. Those dreams...they had felt so real. She could smell the grass of the baseball field and the slightly humid air of that strange cabin ...or maybe that was something else...

Slowly, she pulled her feet over the side of the bed and stared at Theo who was sleeping. How could she be dreaming of that? Had her mind just made it up? Another dream to make her question her sanity?

It was altogether too warm in their room, and she couldn't stand being in there at that moment. Stumbling to the door, Maroe opened it and then wobbled her way to the bathroom first. Splashing cool water on her face helped bring her back to reality. She stared back into her own green eyes with a determined gaze. "It wasn't real. It's just like the others...it wasn't real."

Maroe dried off her face and made her way into the dining car. It was dark outside and snow swirled past the windows like lost stars. That's what she felt like. A swirling snow flake lost to the air when she belonged on the ground.

She leaned into an empty booth and sighed, as she felt the little life of a flower growing in the vase on her table. It was a red rose. They were so tempermental to manipulate, but too pretty not to try. Calling out to the single cut rose, she gave it some of herself and it began to bloom, the dark petals turning crimson.

Why was she doing this? She couldn't possibly have dreamed that and it be true. There was too much floating in her mind about a girl, a boy, a camp and something hanging in the air. Something dark. She rubbed at her eyes and then ordered some coffee for herself. The only way to know was to ask Theo and see if he remembered anything.

Before she realized what was happening, the rose had grown 3 times its size and branche out with thick thorns to protect the bright red buds which were ready to burst.

Theo hadn't been roused yet, and was sleeping as peacefully as a demigod could with the persistent nightmares they encountered on a day-to-day basis... His sleep talk wasn't as clear or engaged as it was back at Maroe's apartment, muttering in short, segmented sentences, as if talking with someone else again, tossing and turning in his sheets, trying to find solace in the only calming activity to him anymore...

The same man who she'd manipulated into giving her a first-class cabin, had rushed to the kitchen and returned with a tray, a pot of coffee, and a variety of creamers and sugars nicely displayed on the tray. He placed it on their table, before promptly leaving. The car was quiet once again, however, the howling snowstorm grew louder as the muffled winds rang in Maroe's ears. Theo's muttering intensified, becoming audible to the rest of the car...

"No... it's not true... They won't hurt her..." "I'm not going to help you..." "I can't hurt her..." He kept muttering things in his sleep, most of them unintelligible, some, even sounding like a language other than english...

Maroe plopped 5 sugars into the coffee cup and dumped in half the cream on top of that for good measure, giving the coffee a quick stir. With first taste was a bit bitter to her still, but the more she sipped, the sweeter in became. She sat in front of the window, the glass webbed with frost, and watched the snow storm howling outside. Their next stop would be soon and she needed to figure out if they could stay on the train or go, since it seemed whatever planning was left to her. How Theo had survived so long just wandering aimlessly was anyone's guess, but now she had the distinct feeling he was more than what he seemed. Maybe. It was still hard to seperate her own emotions from the ones in the dreams.

It took awhile, but she made it to the sugary sludge at the bottom of her coffee and downed that too, before returning to their cabin.

As she approached their cabin, she noticed a muffled clamor coming from their cabin... As she opened the door, she saw that Theo had been awakened by a mysterious person, about Maroe's age.

Theo was out of his bed, and as Maroe entered the cabin, Theo in a fighting stance with his fists drawn towards his chest as he gazed down at a... stewardess. She was holding her nose tightly, blood snaking through the gaps in her fingers. She scowled, as blood dripped onto her vest, lying on the ground...

"What the hell is wrong with you?!" She demanded, sitting up with her back against the wall, as she looked up at him with her silver eyes, unnaturally so, like two rings of quicksilver surrounding a dark, black hole. Theo stared at her with disbelief, clenching his fists hard as his head whipped in Maroe's direction, verifying the presence of Maroe, before looking back at the stewardess.

"You were in my cabin while I was asleep!" He exclaimed, throwing his hands up in exasperation as he kicked his sheathed sword under his bed as not to alarm anyone. "Why?" He asked, crossing his arms, praying his wound didn't reopen again...

"I was going to clean the cabin out for the next... passengers..." The young stewardess said, her speech slowing, seemingly distracted by his shoulder... "Do you need medical assistance... sir?" She asked, the distraction suddenly changing her disposition.

Maroe rubbed at her temples, her eyed flickering between the boy and the stewardess, before she piped up. "I am so, so sorry. My boyfriend is a little jumpy," she said with the most sincere lilt to her voice. Grabbing a tissue from the table, she handed it to the stewardess. "Here, hold that to your nose. Don't mind him, harmless really. Just a touch of ptsd..." she started ushering the woman out of the door, "He really didnt mean it and I know you were just doing your job, but we're staying in this cabin for just a little while longer, go ask the head steward and he'll tell you everything...there ya go...thank you..." She finally got the woman toward the door and started to close it.

"Wait...? Are you...? Theo..." She kept trying to speak, but decided to keep her mouth shut in the end, and hurried off towards the bathroom, presumably to clean herself off...

As the door closed, the boy began sputtering, staring at Maroe with wide eyes.

"M-Maroe... I didn't, She didn't... She scared me!" Theo complained, dropping his fists, looking at Maroe with a pleading look...

(Uh-oh)

Back