Side Story The Goddess II: Fate of the Old Gods

Jeff rubbed his chin a little and took in the new information.

“They were kids, you know? Those kids, they were rounded up to be executed by The Goddess. What did those kids do? They were innocent! I had to protect them. So I ran and intercepted them. Told them to run as fast as they could. The next thing I knew I was... I was in the burning void. Then Ferdie came and... told me they were dead...”

Jeff’s eyes began to water.

“They were children! She killed them!”

He instantly regained his composure.

“Kinda fucked up if you ask me...”

@Sark @EveryoneElse​

"Well, unless it was because the thought of my dashing good looks being lost to history was too great to lose..." Rei by this time had already started smoking a cigarette. He'd at least removed his hat and sunglasses-there were ladies present, you know.

He took a drag on it, letting everything fill in his senses in his moment of silence. Some of these people he recognized, some he didn't...and a few felt like they were puzzle pieces in his memory he just couldn't place. "It's like the little lady says," he said finally, nodding to Alice. We're all prominent enemies of that Goddess in some way or another. Though if there are Chosen among us, well...maybe a few of us were just lucky."

@Sark @Jeremi @Takumi @Crunch @Yun Lee @Minerva @Capri @Lucky

ec44c1e2396a77b681aa6d33771a6482a7dc921f.jpg

"Little Lady?" Alice muttered, then remembered that Rei was one of the oldest in the group.

"Eh, wouldn't go so far with the whole looks thing, Gramps." She added.

"Look at us, a pair of unfortunate souls..." Yuri sarcastically chirped at Alice. "Am I invited to the pity party, or should I just gate-crash?"

Kana hummed and caressed her chin.
"Champions of the Arena... I can't say I'm familiar with such and event..."

"It's like Henry said. A bunch of us were trapped on a murder island and told to kill each other. The whole thing got recorded. Streamed across the Multiverse." Wally interjected. "It's not something we'd like to relive any time soon..."

"Of course... It's a fate I wouldn't wish upon anyone. The Goddess has many foes..." Kana replied. "But that begs the question... what were you doing in the Sleeping-Death?"

"How did you--"

"I have the blood of an Ancient Dragon flowing through my veins, Yuri. Something things don't need to be said. Rather, they can be sensed. Your little Prison Break sent rippled across the Planes. I felt them. I fear I was not the only one to do so--"

"Can we just... roll back, for a second?" Wally raised his hands in surrender. "Sleeping-Death? What's a--?"

"Simply put, it's a prison," Ferdinand answered. "The worst kind of prison. It's reserved for those the Goddess loathes the most. It's a realm that sits between life and death. The void crushes all thought and feeling. You can hardly call someone in the S-D alive. But their souls are perfectly preserved. Their hearts beat once an hour. So the prisoners aren't dead either. It means they can't pass on to an after life of their choosing. It's an endless void. No peace. No paradise..."

"At least Hell allowed its residents to think. The S-D is a fate worse than any other I know of, and I know a fair few horrible ones..." Yuri chuckled, trying to lighten the mood. "It's a prison for souls. That's the short answer. It allows the Goddess to keep track of her greatest foes. Makes sure they can't be rescued... well... not by conventional means...."

"But the Sleeping-Death is usually reserved the Old Gods. Treacherous Demons. Ancient Titans. I've lost good friends in the fight against the Goddess... They've been real thorns in the Goddess' side. But none of them were taken to the S-D. I can understand why she wanted to keep an eye on the Chosen, but the Champions? The others? It does't make any sense..."

"So my question has no answer? Curious.." Kana hummed. "Still. You're all safe now. That's what matters."

"Right..." Wally mumbled. "Right..."

"I appreciate your zeal, friend..." Kana smiled "But we won't be needing any horns. Valla's greatest weapon is its secrecy. Regardless of what Catherine might try to convince you, we cannot afford to fight the Goddess. She would ravage out kingdom. She would destroy the 'insurance' she stole from us years ago."

Seteth remained silent in the corner of the room. He stared down at the Returned with scornful eyes.

"The price is just too high, Valkyrie. I'm sorry."

As the scale clattered against the Throne-room's tiles, a strange instinct overcame Catherine. She stopped in the hall's doorway. She slowly turned around.
Part of her wanted to let it slide out of spite. She wanted to let Kana solve her own problems, or, better yet, let Gunter solve them for her. But no. Her instincts got the better of her. Approached the strange object, picked it up, and carefully survey it with thinned, razor-eyes.

She had anticipated the discarded scale to have been a poisoned rag. Perhaps a piece of telling parchment.
Catherine had never anticipated finding something so... familiar.

She closed her eyes tight and held the scale close to her heart. She whispered a silent prayer. She tucked it away in the collar of her breastplate.

Suddenly, Catherine's demeanor shifted completely. She flashed her teeth. She gripped the hilt of her sword. Thunderstrike Cassandra came rattling forth.

She turned on the spot and withdrew her blade. With a feral cry, she lunged towards the Doom Slayer. She threw the Demon Hunter against on of the Throne Room's pillars, pressing her blade against the armored Ghost's throat.

View attachment 5728
"You!" She spat. "Where did you get this!? Tell me!"

"Catherine!" Gunter picked up his axe and slowly approached the warring pair. "Catherine, let him go!"

Catherine blocked him out completely.

"Tell me!"

@Crunch @Jeremi @Yun Lee @Minerva @Takumi @Capri @Lucky

9d5e721233339c89a2bff2ec8c785f26e3e069ee.jpg

"Shove it pretty boy." Alice snapped as she put Ashe and Silque down to rub at her sore shoulders. As the others spoke, about the basics of the Arena, she shifted from foot to foot, then clicked her tongue for a second.

"I'd guess some of us 'Champions' ended up in the sleeping death cause we pissed the Goddess off. Either way, it doesn't matter much right now." She said gruffly, and crossed her arms. She glanced at Seteth briefly and frowned at him before turning her head back to Kana.

a7a2dca2cdeaba4800e5b72cacd50f46923345b4.jpg

"So--" she started, before she eyed Catherine as she demanded Doom Guy speak. Closing her own mouth, Alice watched the scene for a moment in contemplation. She uncrossed her arms and placed them in her pockets, gripping her switchblade tightly with narrowed eyes.

"Can't even rest for five minutes." She grumbled under her breath. Resisting the urge to roll her eyes, she sighed through her nose.

@Sark @Yun Lee @Capri @Lucky @Jeremi @Minerva @Crunch @Everyone

Last edited:
Henry Hart

Could there just be five minutes where he didn't have to stop a death from happening? " Honestly, I have no clue how he got that or why it made you mad, but he was the one who ran the other way. Can't tell you much else. He's kind of a mute guy from what I have seen., so he isn't going to talk though."

" So, does that mean the others who haven't woken up of the Chosen here still like in that sleeping death thing?"

@Sark @Everyone

The sound of clattering footsteps hadn't stirred the Slayer from his stride. It was when the woman chose to place her hand on the hilt of her sheathed sword that the Doom Slayer halted in his step. The marine turned his body slightly to the side, catching only a glimpse of Catherine's face before her body slammed into the marine's side, full-force.

However, the Slayer did not move.

No demonic presence detected.

The marine remained standing in the same spot like a statue, the knight's attempts to slam him against the pillar, proving futile as he caught Catherine's sword arm with one hand and held off her other with his wrist plating. Heavy, ragged breathing began to heave from his helmet. Catherine reached a rare distance - close enough to see behind the pale glass pane where a face was supposedly hiding. Her rage-fuelled eyes caught a glimpse of his own.

Notice: no demonic presence detected.

What she saw could only be described as anger given flesh. Seething, boiling, unending hatred for nothing at all poured from the man's dull brown eyes like blood oozing from a wound. His brow furrowed, eyes widening, and pupils dilating to the size of pinheads. Catherine did not have the time to push him against the pillar; his knee jackhammered into her gut like a piston, just barely enough force to push her out of his grip.

She is not a demon, Slayer.

The Slayer's hands filled with a wooden stock. Two shotgun barrels leveled towards the woman's face, he curled his finger around the trigger.

Stop.

[CLICK!]

The shotgun clicked. It was empty.

The Slayer appeared to have stopped moving entirely. His finger remained pressing into the gun's trigger, but no bullets came out. A few moments carried the room in silence until a desperate grunting, panting, and breathing began to nudge the suit. Limb joints violently twitched and shuddered but refused to move despite its wearers enraged writhing. Servos within the suit whirred and groaned against the movement as if they were suddenly locked in place all at once.

The suit then began to... speak. Speakers from somewhere within the helmet loudly proclaimed a soothing, but a monotone simulacrum of a human voice. The Slayer continued to writhe within his suit angrily.

View attachment 5729

"Hello. I am VEGA, the sentient intelligence unit formerly assigned to the UAC facility on Mars before relocation to the Night Sentinel's Fortress of Doom by the Doom Slayer, following a demonic incursion on Mars and subsequent demonic invasion of Earth."

"It would appear that a massive energy spike caused by the Slayer's transit to this area resulted in power loss across the Fortress. To prevent data loss, I transmitted my core intelligence to the limited operating space within the Praetor suit. Though I have lost access to my core functions, I believe I may be of assistance in this situation."

"By monitoring power activity and damage diagnostics within the suit over the last hour, I have ascertained that the Slayer had encountered an entity within the previous area that had engaged him without prior aggression on his part. Argent readings in the immediate area showed that the entity was not demonic, but its intentions were hostile. My systems returned to an online state toward the end of this encounter, in which the Slayer had been moving away from this entity as it attempted to harm him. The suits shoulder-mounted grenade launcher shot an explosive device into a crack located within the ceiling, resulting in an explosion with enough force to trigger a collapse of the tunnel where the entity had been encountered."

"No life signs were detected within the chamber following a structural collapse - however, we have never encountered an organism of this nature, and with the limited programming power of the suit, it is unlikely my life sign scanners are accurate. I am unable to provide video or audio evidence of this claim, but my internal programming measures limit my ability to make untruthful statements knowingly.

The AI paused for what felt like a full minute. "... During the demonic incursion of Mars, Doctor Samuel Hayden requested that the core facility housing my intelligence be destroyed to allow the Slayer access to Hell, to end the demonic incursion. I cannot ascertain the Slayer's motives. Against Dr. Hayden's wishes, he chose to save a backup of my core programming within the Praetor suit."

"It is because of him that I continue to exist. New protocols within my programming prevent me from allowing him to expire."

@Sark @Yun Lee @Capri @Lucky @Jeremi @Minerva @Takumi @Everyone

"Look at us, a pair of unfortunate souls..." Yuri sarcastically chirped at Alice. "Am I invited to the pity party, or should I just gate-crash?"

Kana hummed and caressed her chin.
"Champions of the Arena... I can't say I'm familiar with such and event..."

"It's like Henry said. A bunch of us were trapped on a murder island and told to kill each other. The whole thing got recorded. Streamed across the Multiverse." Wally interjected. "It's not something we'd like to relive any time soon..."

"Of course... It's a fate I wouldn't wish upon anyone. The Goddess has many foes..." Kana replied. "But that begs the question... what were you doing in the Sleeping-Death?"

"How did you--"

"I have the blood of an Ancient Dragon flowing through my veins, Yuri. Something things don't need to be said. Rather, they can be sensed. Your little Prison Break sent rippled across the Planes. I felt them. I fear I was not the only one to do so--"

"Can we just... roll back, for a second?" Wally raised his hands in surrender. "Sleeping-Death? What's a--?"

"Simply put, it's a prison," Ferdinand answered. "The worst kind of prison. It's reserved for those the Goddess loathes the most. It's a realm that sits between life and death. The void crushes all thought and feeling. You can hardly call someone in the S-D alive. But their souls are perfectly preserved. Their hearts beat once an hour. So the prisoners aren't dead either. It means they can't pass on to an after life of their choosing. It's an endless void. No peace. No paradise..."

"At least Hell allowed its residents to think. The S-D is a fate worse than any other I know of, and I know a fair few horrible ones..." Yuri chuckled, trying to lighten the mood. "It's a prison for souls. That's the short answer. It allows the Goddess to keep track of her greatest foes. Makes sure they can't be rescued... well... not by conventional means...."

"But the Sleeping-Death is usually reserved the Old Gods. Treacherous Demons. Ancient Titans. I've lost good friends in the fight against the Goddess... They've been real thorns in the Goddess' side. But none of them were taken to the S-D. I can understand why she wanted to keep an eye on the Chosen, but the Champions? The others? It does't make any sense..."

"So my question has no answer? Curious.." Kana hummed. "Still. You're all safe now. That's what matters."

"Right..." Wally mumbled. "Right..."

"I appreciate your zeal, friend..." Kana smiled "But we won't be needing any horns. Valla's greatest weapon is its secrecy. Regardless of what Catherine might try to convince you, we cannot afford to fight the Goddess. She would ravage out kingdom. She would destroy the 'insurance' she stole from us years ago."

Seteth remained silent in the corner of the room. He stared down at the Returned with scornful eyes.

"The price is just too high, Valkyrie. I'm sorry."

As the scale clattered against the Throne-room's tiles, a strange instinct overcame Catherine. She stopped in the hall's doorway. She slowly turned around.
Part of her wanted to let it slide out of spite. She wanted to let Kana solve her own problems, or, better yet, let Gunter solve them for her. But no. Her instincts got the better of her. Approached the strange object, picked it up, and carefully survey it with thinned, razor-eyes.

She had anticipated the discarded scale to have been a poisoned rag. Perhaps a piece of telling parchment.
Catherine had never anticipated finding something so... familiar.

She closed her eyes tight and held the scale close to her heart. She whispered a silent prayer. She tucked it away in the collar of her breastplate.

Suddenly, Catherine's demeanor shifted completely. She flashed her teeth. She gripped the hilt of her sword. Thunderstrike Cassandra came rattling forth.

She turned on the spot and withdrew her blade. With a feral cry, she lunged towards the Doom Slayer. She threw the Demon Hunter against on of the Throne Room's pillars, pressing her blade against the armored Ghost's throat.

View attachment 5728
"You!" She spat. "Where did you get this!? Tell me!"

"Catherine!" Gunter picked up his axe and slowly approached the warring pair. "Catherine, let him go!"

Catherine blocked him out completely.

"Tell me!"

@Crunch @Jeremi @Yun Lee @Minerva @Takumi @Capri @Lucky

lVwmJYB.png

"Thou realize that cowardice pays a heavy price as well?" Valkyrie replied back to the ruler. There was no malice in her words, it was just said in a very matter of fact tone. "A battle plan is needed sooner or later. Mayhap even before your sanctuary is breached by the Goddess' forces?"

The sound of clattering footsteps hadn't stirred the Slayer from his stride. It was when the woman chose to place her hand on the hilt of her sheathed sword that the Doom Slayer halted in his step. The marine turned his body slightly to the side, catching only a glimpse of Catherine's face before her body slammed into the marine's side, full-force.

However, the Slayer did not move.

No demonic presence detected.

The marine remained standing in the same spot like a statue, the knight's attempts to slam him against the pillar, proving futile as he caught Catherine's sword arm with one hand and held off her other with his wrist plating. Heavy, ragged breathing began to heave from his helmet. Catherine reached a rare distance - close enough to see behind the pale glass pane where a face was supposedly hiding. Her rage-fuelled eyes caught a glimpse of his own.

Notice: no demonic presence detected.

What she saw could only be described as anger given flesh. Seething, boiling, unending hatred for nothing at all poured from the man's dull brown eyes like blood oozing from a wound. His brow furrowed, eyes widening, and pupils dilating to the size of pinheads. Catherine did not have the time to push him against the pillar; his knee jackhammered into her gut like a piston, just barely enough force to push her out of his grip.

She is not a demon, Slayer.

The Slayer's hands filled with a wooden stock. Two shotgun barrels leveled towards the woman's face, he curled his finger around the trigger.

Stop.

[CLICK!]

The shotgun clicked. It was empty.

The Slayer appeared to have stopped moving entirely. His finger remained pressing into the gun's trigger, but no bullets came out. A few moments carried the room in silence until a desperate grunting, panting, and breathing began to nudge the suit. Limb joints violently twitched and shuddered but refused to move despite its wearers enraged writhing. Servos within the suit whirred and groaned against the movement as if they were suddenly locked in place all at once.

The suit then began to... speak. Speakers from somewhere within the helmet loudly proclaimed a soothing, but a monotone simulacrum of a human voice. The Slayer continued to writhe within his suit angrily.

View attachment 5729

"Hello. I am VEGA, the sentient intelligence unit formerly assigned to the UAC facility on Mars before relocation to the Night Sentinel's Fortress of Doom by the Doom Slayer, following a demonic incursion on Mars and subsequent demonic invasion of Earth."

"It would appear that a massive energy spike caused by the Slayer's transit to this area resulted in power loss across the Fortress. To prevent data loss, I transmitted my core intelligence to the limited operating space within the Praetor suit. Though I have lost access to my core functions, I believe I may be of assistance in this situation."

"By monitoring power activity and damage diagnostics within the suit over the last hour, I have ascertained that the Slayer had encountered an entity within the previous area that had engaged him without prior aggression on his part. Argent readings in the immediate area showed that the entity was not demonic, but its intentions were hostile. My systems returned to an online state toward the end of this encounter, in which the Slayer had been moving away from this entity as it attempted to harm him. The suits shoulder-mounted grenade launcher shot an explosive device into a crack located within the ceiling, resulting in an explosion with enough force to trigger a collapse of the tunnel where the entity had been encountered."

"No life signs were detected within the chamber following a structural collapse - however, we have never encountered an organism of this nature, and with the limited programming power of the suit, it is unlikely my life sign scanners are accurate. I am unable to provide video or audio evidence of this claim, but my internal programming measures limit my ability to make untruthful statements knowingly.

The AI paused for what felt like a full minute. "... During the demonic incursion of Mars, Doctor Samuel Hayden requested that the core facility housing my intelligence be destroyed to allow the Slayer access to Hell, to end the demonic incursion. I cannot ascertain the Slayer's motives. Against Dr. Hayden's wishes, he chose to save a backup of my core programming within the Praetor suit."

"It is because of him that I continue to exist. New protocols within my programming prevent me from allowing him to expire."

@Sark @Yun Lee @Capri @Lucky @Jeremi @Minerva @Takumi @Everyone

Valkyrie's attention turned forward the altercation happening behind them. "Thou seems to be a proper wordsmith."

tStNFfA.png

"And a rather long-winded way to say you mayhap slew a beast."

@Sark @Crunch @Yun Lee @Capri @Lucky @Jeremi @Minerva @Takumi @Everyone

Jeff rubbed his chin a little and took in the new information.

“They were kids, you know? Those kids, they were rounded up to be executed by The Goddess. What did those kids do? They were innocent! I had to protect them. So I ran and intercepted them. Told them to run as fast as they could. The next thing I knew I was... I was in the burning void. Then Ferdie came and... told me they were dead...”

Jeff’s eyes began to water.

“They were children! She killed them!”

He instantly regained his composure.

“Kinda fucked up if you ask me...”

@Sark @EveryoneElse
"Age. Nationality. Ability. The Goddess cares not for these things." Seteth snapped. "Do not be naive, child. The Goddess would gladly kill a thousand children if it furthered her cause. Her brutality is unrivaled."

The formed secularist placed his hand over his heart and performed a short bow.

"I apologize, your majesty, but I must remove myself from this situation. I cannot promise my unbiased council. You know where I stand. You know my arguments well enough. Excuse me."

The Queen nodded in response.

"Thank you for your honestly, Seteth. You are excused."

Seteth straightened out his spine and vanished down a corridor behind the throne. Kana sighed deeply.

"I must apologize for his behavior, my guest. He hasn't been the same since the Fall of Fodlan. It pains me to watch the Great Bishop like this... To think, he once commanded the Secularist Resistance. The first General to repel the Goddess herself... not one of her generals, not one of her elites, but Her... My people worshiped him as if he were the Dawn Dragon itself. But times change. He's... he's lost so much over the years. His council is as valuable as it has always been... but his spirit? It fell with First Revolt..."

Kana shook her head, banished the thought.

"I'm sorry. It's unfitting for me to speak of my advisers so. Seteth is a good man. Please, judge him by the man he was, not the man he's become..."
"Shove it pretty boy." Alice snapped as she put Ashe and Silque down to rub at her sore shoulders. As the others spoke, about the basics of the Arena, she shifted from foot to foot, then clicked her tongue for a second.

"I'd guess some of us 'Champions' ended up in the sleeping death cause we pissed the Goddess off. Either way, it doesn't matter much right now." She said gruffly, and crossed her arms. She glanced at Seteth briefly and frowned at him before turning her head back to Kana.

"So--" she started, before she eyed Catherine as she demanded Doom Guy speak. Closing her own mouth, Alice watched the scene for a moment in contemplation. She uncrossed her arms and placed them in her pockets, gripping her switchblade tightly with narrowed eyes.

"Can't even rest for five minutes." She grumbled under her breath. Resisting the urge to roll her eyes, she sighed through her nose.
"Perhaps it's not important now..." Kana hummed. "But it's still... it's still curious, don't you think?" Her thumb traced her lip. "For you to be locked away that tightly..."
View attachment 5731
"You summoned me, Your Majesty?" The polite hum of the Queen's butler tangled her chain of thought. "Did you want me to prepare my special blend for our new guests?"

"Ah, yes, thank you, Dwyer." Kana replied. "And please, prepare our guest chambers. The situation demands a feast, as well. Please, gather the towns folk."

"Of course, your Majesty. I've been waiting for an opportunity to test my abilities..."

"'Pretty boy', hmm?" Yuri teased. "Your words scream 'compliment' but your tone screams 'insult'. You're a tricky one. Is there something you'd like to tell me, 'Pretty Girl'?"
" So, does that mean the others who haven't woken up of the Chosen here still like in that sleeping death thing?"

@Sark @Everyone
Before leaving to fetch his tea tray, Dwyer crouched down beside one of the Kolin. He removed his glove and placed his bare knuckles over her mouth.

"No. They're fine." He mumbled bluntly. "Jumping between realms can be an exhausting process. Some people snap back quickly. Others take a while to recover. Nobody has come back from the Sleeping-Death before. We're venturing into uncharted territory. Eponine has already convinced Mitama to help her assess Azura. She's a little worse for ware. I'll tell them to take a look at the Chosen once they're finished. But I doubt they'll come to a different conclusion that I have. They need rest, above all else."

"Thou realize that cowardice pays a heavy price as well?" Valkyrie replied back to the ruler. There was no malice in her words, it was just said in a very matter of fact tone. "A battle plan is needed sooner or later. Mayhap even before your sanctuary is breached by the Goddess' forces?"
"Cowardice?" Kana queried. "And what would you have us do, Asgardian? My people have grown tired of war. The Secularists are all either dead or in hiding. Some would rally behind Seteth, of course, but without his daughter he wouldn't dare move against the Goddess' Sacred Kingdom. The Goddess monitors trans-dimensional travel, and she'll be even more suspicious now after Yuri's Prison-Break. Outside help is out of the question. If you have a plan that doesn't involve biding our time, Valkyrie, my advisers and I would love to hear it. You have our full attention."

"LIAR!" Catherine screamed. She pried her free hand from the Slayer's grip. Spray saliva from her baring teeth, the drew back her first and began to pound her free hand against the Marine's glassy face. She didn't care for his expression. She had seen such madness before. She just wanted to hurt him. Some way, some how, she wanted to see him bleed. "LIAR!"

Gunter caught Catherine's forearm as she drew her first back to strike the Slayer once again.

"That's enough!"

"No! You don't get it! He killed her! He killed Rhea!"

"And you think that this is the way to honor her? This display won't bring her back! Control yourself!"

Catherine drew her below back, striking Gunter's nose. He released his hold over her and stumbled back. His fall gave her enough time to line up a few more rattling strikes against the Slayer's helmet. Soon, her furious screams were replaced by agonizing cried. Tears streamed down her scarred cheeks. Her punches grew weaker. She dropped her sword.

It didn't matter anymore. None of it mattered.

She left the Thunderbrand were it fell. She turned and vanished down a nearby hall.

Gunter wiped the blood from his chin. He picked up his ally's discarded weapon and held it beneath his arm. He shot a glare towards the Slayer.

"I do not trust you, machine-man..." He grumbled bluntly. "But I admire your restraint. Still. Know this. The Queen's grace will only extend so far. I had my eye on you, Slayer. Tread carefully..."

@Crunch @Yun Lee @Capri @Lucky @Jeremi @Minerva @Takumi

"Age. Nationality. Ability. The Goddess cares not for these things." Seteth snapped. "Do not be naive, child. The Goddess would gladly kill a thousand children if it furthered her cause. Her brutality is unrivaled."

"I apologize, your majesty, but I must remove myself from this situation. I cannot promise my unbiased council. You know where I stand. You know my arguments well enough. Excuse me."

Seteth straightened out his spine and vanished down a corridor behind the throne. Kana sighed deeply.

"I must apologize for his behavior, my guest. He hasn't been the same since the Fall of Fodlan. It pains me to watch the Great Bishop like this... To think, he once commanded the Secularist Resistance. The first General to repel the Goddess herself... not one of her generals, not one of her elites, but Her... My people worshiped him as if he were the Dawn Dragon itself. But times change. He's... he's lost so much over the years. His council is as valuable as it has always been... but his spirit? It fell with First Revolt..."

"I'm sorry. It's unfitting for me to speak of my advisers so. Seteth is a good man. Please, judge him by the man he was, not the man he's become..."

"Perhaps it's not important now..."
Kana hummed. "But it's still... it's still curious, don't you think?" Her thumb traced her lip. "For you to be locked away that tightly..."
View attachment 5731
"You summoned me, Your Majesty?" The polite hum of the Queen's butler tangled her chain of thought. "Did you want me to prepare my special blend for our new guests?"

"Ah, yes, thank you, Dwyer." Kana replied. "And please, prepare our guest chambers. The situation demands a feast, as well. Please, gather the towns folk."

"Of course, your Majesty. I've been waiting for an opportunity to test my abilities..."

"'Pretty boy', hmm?" Yuri teased. "Your words scream 'compliment' but your tone screams 'insult'. You're a tricky one. Is there something you'd like to tell me, 'Pretty Girl'?"

Before leaving to fetch his tea tray, Dwyer crouched down beside one of the Kolin. He removed his glove and placed his bare knuckles over her mouth.

"No. They're fine." He mumbled bluntly. "Jumping between realms can be an exhausting process. Some people snap back quickly. Others take a while to recover. Nobody has come back from the Sleeping-Death before. We're venturing into uncharted territory. Eponine has already convinced Mitama to help her assess Azura. She's a little worse for ware. I'll tell them to take a look at the Chosen once they're finished. But I doubt they'll come to a different conclusion that I have. They need rest, above all else."

"Cowardice?" Kana queried. "And what would you have us do, Asgardian? My people have grown tired of war. The Secularists are all either dead or in hiding. Some would rally behind Seteth, of course, but without his daughter he wouldn't dare move against the Goddess' Sacred Kingdom. The Goddess monitors trans-dimensional travel, and she'll be even more suspicious now after Yuri's Prison-Break. Outside help is out of the question. If you have a plan that doesn't involve biding our time, Valkyrie, my advisers and I would love to hear it. You have our full attention."

"LIAR!" Catherine screamed. She pried her free hand from the Slayer's grip. Spray saliva from her baring teeth, the drew back her first and began to pound her free hand against the Marine's glassy face. She didn't care for his expression. She had seen such madness before. She just wanted to hurt him. Some way, some how, she wanted to see him bleed. "LIAR!"

Gunter caught Catherine's forearm as she drew her first back to strike the Slayer once again.

"That's enough!"

"And you think that this is the way to honor her? This display won't bring her back! Control yourself!"

Catherine drew her below back, striking Gunter's nose. He released his hold over her and stumbled back. His fall gave her enough time to line up a few more rattling strikes against the Slayer's helmet. Soon, her furious screams were replaced by agonizing cried. Tears streamed down her scarred cheeks. Her punches grew weaker. She dropped her sword.

She left the Thunderbrand were it fell. She turned and vanished down a nearby hall.

Gunter wiped the blood from his chin. He picked up his ally's discarded weapon and held it beneath his arm. He shot a glare towards the Slayer.

"I do not trust you, machine-man..." He grumbled bluntly. "But I admire your restraint. Still. Know this. The Queen's grace will only extend so far. I had my eye on you, Slayer. Tread carefully..."

"Know thine enemy," Valkyrie replied as she turned to face Kana again. "Thou speaketh like someone who has given up entirely, yes, the Goddess is powerful tis true but has there been any conscious effort to study her? A God does not spring up in a night! Sacred texts of old, an origin? Gods are strong, but not undetectable. Surely there is something to share?"

She'd let that Slayer situation play out, clearly there was no warm welcome to be found here.

@Sark @Crunch @Yun Lee @Capri @Lucky @Jeremi @Minerva @Takumi

"Know thine enemy," Valkyrie replied as she turned to face Kana again. "Thou speaketh like someone who has given up entirely, yes, the Goddess is powerful tis true but has there been any conscious effort to study her? A God does not spring up in a night! Sacred texts of old, an origin? Gods are strong, but not undetectable. Surely there is something to share?"

She'd let that Slayer situation play out, clearly there was no warm welcome to be found here.

"Information on the Goddess is difficult to come by," The Queen replied. "The Emerald Empire controls the narrative. Books are burned. Buried. The 'leading authorities' on Imperial History are all in Goddess' pocket. They waste their careers discrediting and undermining those who try to tell the truth. Sooner or later, her Second Saints make sure the whistle-blowers disappear. The less bias of the two evils, former Councillor Urien, had his tongue removed by the Goddess. He vanished a few years ago. Seteth has never shared the secret of his victory over the Goddess, no matter how many times we've asked him. He never talks about his time in the revolution, and I strongly discourage you from pressing the issue with him...
"That's not to say we haven't tried to find out the truth. Yukimaru conducted some research prior to his disappearance. Professor Hannerman was able to save some ancient texts from a burning a few months ago. He's been studying then diligently ever since. Perhaps you can offer him your assistance in the coming days.
"But not tonight. No, you musts be exhausted. It's been a long day for you all. I suggest you go aquatint yourselves with your rooms before dinner. Dwyer should be back soon. He'll lean the way."

Kana paused for a moment. She looked at Valkyrie with a sincere smile.

"I am sorry, Valkyrie. I truly am. But there's nothing we can do. Not yet."

"Perhaps it's not important now..." Kana hummed. "But it's still... it's still curious, don't you think?" Her thumb traced her lip. "For you to be locked away that tightly..."
View attachment 5731

"That's enough!"

"I guess it is pretty weird, but we'll probably get more answers on that later." Alice shrugged.

The situation with Slayer and Cathrine put her a bit on edge, and she frowned heavily as it went on.

When Seteth spoke up and left shortly after, Alice glanced to Kana for a moment.

"Having a loved one held hostage can lead to most doing something desperate. As for Catherine? I have a feeling that in her emotional state she might try and either do something stupid, or something reckless. Probably both." She spoke quietly.

Then Yuri spoke to her and she bristled at his teasing words. What was his deal?

c6c7fdf063b588a9ebd30e8d5ba4a5fce4955375.jpg

Alice sputtered. Wait. Pretty Girl? Pretty Girl? He had to be fucking with her. No one just...no one just used the word pretty when it came to her, just like how no one just liked her. Chise didn't count, since she liked almost everyone for the most part.

31a896ea317e28e0e2d3e064ac455a07c10ce3a4.jpg

"You talk a lot of shit, shut up." She blurted out before glancing away.

@Sark @Yun Lee @Lucky @Jeremi @Crunch @Everyone

Jeff rubbed his temples and exhaled.

“I didn’t know about the man he once was, Y’know, I didn’t know anything about this whole thing until now. I’m just... some guy trying to do the right thing.”

@Sark

"Information on the Goddess is difficult to come by," The Queen replied. "The Emerald Empire controls the narrative. Books are burned. Buried. The 'leading authorities' on Imperial History are all in Goddess' pocket. They waste their careers discrediting and undermining those who try to tell the truth. Sooner or later, her Second Saints make sure the whistle-blowers disappear. The less bias of the two evils, former Councillor Urien, had his tongue removed by the Goddess. He vanished a few years ago. Seteth has never shared the secret of his victory over the Goddess, no matter how many times we've asked him. He never talks about his time in the revolution, and I strongly discourage you from pressing the issue with him...
"That's not to say we haven't tried to find out the truth. Yukimaru conducted some research prior to his disappearance. Professor Hannerman was able to save some ancient texts from a burning a few months ago. He's been studying then diligently ever since. Perhaps you can offer him your assistance in the coming days.
"But not tonight. No, you musts be exhausted. It's been a long day for you all. I suggest you go aquatint yourselves with your rooms before dinner. Dwyer should be back soon. He'll lean the way."

Kana paused for a moment. She looked at Valkyrie with a sincere smile.

"I am sorry, Valkyrie. I truly am. But there's nothing we can do. Not yet."

They were right, of course. Instead, Valkyrie offered a cheerful smile of her own.

DiQSRhn.png

"Aye, not yet. The thing about secrets is that they always come into the light sooner or later. Mayhap sooner if the Valkyrie has anything to say about it!"

Last edited:
"Beauty's in the eye of the beholder, miss." Rei didn't seemed bothered by Alice's quip. Rather, he seemed fairly amused. "Clearly your type is..." He pointedly paused so that his eyes could glance at Yuri before turning back to her. "...A bit softer around the edges."

Hm. What a grim situation they all found themselves in. Trapped in a strange purgatory, only to come out to a full-fledged war. And on top of that, the soldier over there had slain someone that was an ally of their hosts. Tricky stuff, and a lot to digest. "I don't care for this Goddess as much as the next person," he said, now talking to everyone. "But trust me when I say we can't let war take over our well-being. Be grateful for the little chances to breathe we get." He gave Kana a bow. "Thank you for your hospitality, Your Grace. It's an honor to sample it."

"Beauty's in the eye of the beholder, miss." Rei didn't seemed bothered by Alice's quip. Rather, he seemed fairly amused. "Clearly your type is..." He pointedly paused so that his eyes could glance at Yuri before turning back to her. "...A bit softer around the edges."

Hm. What a grim situation they all found themselves in. Trapped in a strange purgatory, only to come out to a full-fledged war. And on top of that, the soldier over there had slain someone that was an ally of their hosts. Tricky stuff, and a lot to digest. "I don't care for this Goddess as much as the next person," he said, now talking to everyone. "But trust me when I say we can't let war take over our well-being. Be grateful for the little chances to breathe we get." He gave Kana a bow. "Thank you for your hospitality, Your Grace. It's an honor to sample it."

c4cd00648a7a155667b847ac03107e050f3c68db.jpg

"Hhk. Wha--ugh!" Alice spluttered. Why were they ganging up on her all of a sudden?! What the fuck?

b9c22a9644f370c110c843123ba739ed96b249c9.jpg

"Y-you shut up too, Gramps! I don't have a type." She hissed, feeling her cheeks heat up in embarrassment as her shoulders hunched a bit.

For now she was glad that Gramps wasn't focusing on her anymore after his remark. She glared at Yuri next with narrowed eyes and grumbled under her breath.

6a27e4fe517bffeab1595b0f0116e637c3a477b9.jpg

"Don't you even start. Not a single word." She practically growled.

@Sark @Yun Lee

Last edited:
"Having a loved one held hostage can lead to most doing something desperate. As for Catherine? I have a feeling that in her emotional state she might try and either do something stupid, or something reckless. Probably both." She spoke quietly.
"Yeah..." Kana muttered, forlorn. "Catherine's recent behavior has been... concerning. She had devoted herself- body and soul- to keeping Rhea safe. When the Goddess took the Archbishop, they took a part of Catherine with her. She's had trouble adapting. The War has been hard on us all. I've tried to be patient with her. I've tried to reach out to her, to get her the help she needs... but every day I see the woman I knew- my friend and mentor- slipping further and further away..."

Jeff rubbed his temples and exhaled.
“I didn’t know about the man he once was, Y’know, I didn’t know anything about this whole thing until now. I’m just... some guy trying to do the right thing.”
"And I fear that you might have been dragged into something much larger than yourself." The Queen sighed. "The world has changed so much in the past few years. It changes more with each passing day. The role you once played... I fear you won't get the chance to play it again. I pray that you find your place in the new world, child. Know that no matter which path you choose, you will always be welcome here, with us."
"Hhk. Wha--ugh!" Alice spluttered. Why were they ganging up on her all of a sudden?! What the fuck?

"Y-you shut up too, Gramps! I don't have a type." She hissed, feeling her cheeks heat up in embarrassment as her shoulders hunched a bit.

For now she was glad that Gramps wasn't focusing on her anymore after his remark. She glared at Yuri next with narrowed eyes and grumbled under her breath.

"Don't you even start. Not a single word." She practically growled.

@Sark @Yun Lee
Yuri raised his hands in mock-surrender.
View attachment 5738
"Please! What could I possibly say that hasn't already been said? Your face speaks volumes-" Yuri chuckled, playing with the edges of his collar. "To think that you've gotten this red after a little dash of school yard taunting! What a charming end to a horrible day. Still--" Yuri's eyes flickered over to Rei. "If living with Balthus has taught me anything, it's unwise to heed the words of men who cannot button up their own shirts. Nobody wants to see your sweaty torso, old man. Cover yourself up before my last meal returns from the 'Sleeping-Death'. The sight of you is making me nauseous already..."

@Yun Lee @Takumi @Minerva @Jeremi @Crunch @Capri @Lucky

"Yeah..." Kana muttered, forlorn. "Catherine's recent behavior has been... concerning. She had devoted herself- body and soul- to keeping Rhea safe. When the Goddess took the Archbishop, they took a part of Catherine with her. She's had trouble adapting. The War has been hard on us all. I've tried to be patient with her. I've tried to reach out to her, to get her the help she needs... but every day I see the woman I knew- my friend and mentor- slipping further and further away..."

"And I fear that you might have been dragged into something much larger than yourself."
The Queen sighed. "The world has changed so much in the past few years. It changes more with each passing day. The role you once played... I fear you won't get the chance to play it again. I pray that you find your place in the new world, child. Know that no matter which path you choose, you will always be welcome here, with us."

Yuri raised his hands in mock-surrender.
View attachment 5738
"Please! What could I possibly say that hasn't already been said? Your face speaks volumes-" Yuri chuckled, playing with the edges of his collar. "To think that you've gotten this red after a little dash of school yard taunting! What a charming end to a horrible day. Still--" Yuri's eyes flickered over to Rei. "If living with Balthus has taught me anything, it's unwise to heed the words of men who cannot button up their own shirts. Nobody wants to see your sweaty torso, old man. Cover yourself up before my last meal returns from the 'Sleeping-Death'. The sight of you is making me nauseous already..."

@Yun Lee @Takumi @Minerva @Jeremi @Crunch @Capri @Lucky

21a3c543b03aad1ef25c0ddc35d4017be90a3b0b.jpg

"Watch out, taunt me too much and I might just set the edges of your hair on fire." She responded with a light punch to Yuri's arm. She probably wouldn't, but he didn't need to know that.

She snorted in amusement when Yuri quickly called out the man's sense of fashion. Giving her a bit of a chance to collect herself.

"I guess you have a point, I'm just not used to this kinda teasing." She hummed, crossing her arms again. Then after a moment of thought, glanced to Rei, but decided to keep her comment on his look to herself.

Instead she turned to address the Queen. The woman's words sunk in, and she caught onto to a few of them quickly.

a7974083d75446237c058fadef25be1356482b16.jpg

"So she was Rhea's bodyguard..." She frowned at that, mood souring. Drumming her fingers on her arm in thought, bit her cheek.

5048b6740b1f8fc2c077355b5652178d2210dd4b.jpg

"I could try and talk to her. I doubt she'd listen to me at all, but in a way I can get how she's feeling, to an extent." She offered. She might not have lost the person she's been tasked to guard, but she knew loss personally. She knew that everyone in the room likely had, but she'd still try. If she could find her, that is.

@Sark @Yun Lee

"I could try and talk to her. I doubt she'd listen to me at all, but in a way I can get how she's feeling, to an extent." She offered. She might not have lost the person she's been tasked to guard, but she knew loss personally. She knew that everyone in the room likely had, but she'd still try. If she could find her, that is.

@Sark @Yun Lee
"I appreciate the offer, and I believe the old Catherine would too... but I fear she's too far gone..." Kana exhaled. "She battling a demon only she can kill... I pray she finds the courage to do so..."
A few moments later, Dwyer returned to the throne room, a tray of hot drinks on his arm. With a sip of his coffee, the rest of the day melted away. Before you knew it, it was time for the feast, and then, time for bed.

The night was a blur. Kana had mentioned something about time working differently in Valla during the party. She had said something about it taking some time to get used to... but you couldn't quite remember. She must have mentioned something about the unconscious Chosen being moved the the infirmary? The details were hazy. Strangely, you didn't remember seeing Seteth at the feast... Catherine was also strangely absent. Instead, you had the blessing of Izana's all-too enthusiastic company, a musical performance from Kana and a few polite grunts from Gunter.

All you could be certain of was that you had spent the night eating and perhaps drinking far too much. The New Vallites were a loud and joyous people. They had accepted their guests with open arms. They shared the songs and ballads of their forefathers. Some told stories of their lives before Valla. Some were exciting and intriguing. Others were solemn and full of sorrow.

You danced, you ate, and before you knew it? You were laying down on a velvet-draped bed in one of Kana's many guest rooms.

View attachment 5739

In room A, Wally remained half awake, his eyes glassy and fixed on the ceiling. His body was still and rigid. He kept his arm above his blankets, resting it upon his chest. Yuri was sleeping in his underwear. He had made a drunken comment about how he shouldn't be shamed for expressing his human form or something of the sort before passing out under his blankets.

In room B, Balthus slept on his chest, his arms and legs sticking out on all directions. He had been snoring for hours. Someone, his snoring was louder than his boasting. Ferdinand was awake despite the late hour. He was writing in a journal by candle light.

The Kingdom outside your window was quiet. Almost too quiet. A floating mountain had drifted in front of the moon. The city was pitch black.

You heard something tapping against you window. A gust of wind parted the curtains. You could have sworn that you had seen something dart out from behind the fabric. It must have been a trick of the light. In Room A, something shook Yuri's bed-side cabinet. In Room B, something crawled under Balthus' bed.

@Room A: @Yun Lee @Takumi @Lucky @Minerva
@Room B: @Jeremi @Crunch @Lucky @Capri

"I appreciate the offer, and I believe the old Catherine would too... but I fear she's too far gone..." Kana exhaled. "She battling a demon only she can kill... I pray she finds the courage to do so..."
A few moments later, Dwyer returned to the throne room, a tray of hot drinks on his arm. With a sip of his coffee, the rest of the day melted away. Before you knew it, it was time for the feast, and then, time for bed.

The night was a blur. Kana had mentioned something about time working differently in Valla during the party. She had said something about it taking some time to get used to... but you couldn't quite remember. She must have mentioned something about the unconscious Chosen being moved the the infirmary? The details were hazy. Strangely, you didn't remember seeing Seteth at the feast... Catherine was also strangely absent. Instead, you had the blessing of Izana's all-too enthusiastic company, a musical performance from Kana and a few polite grunts from Gunter.

All you could be certain of was that you had spent the night eating and perhaps drinking far too much. The New Vallites were a loud and joyous people. They had accepted their guests with open arms. They shared the songs and ballads of their forefathers. Some told stories of their lives before Valla. Some were exciting and intriguing. Others were solemn and full of sorrow.

You danced, you ate, and before you knew it? You were laying down on a velvet-draped bed in one of Kana's many guest rooms.

View attachment 5739

In room A, Wally remained half awake, his eyes glassy and fixed on the ceiling. His body was still and rigid. He kept his arm above his blankets, resting it upon his chest. Yuri was sleeping in his underwear. He had made a drunken comment about how he shouldn't be shamed for expressing his human form or something of the sort before passing out under his blankets.

In room B, Balthus slept on his chest, his arms and legs sticking out on all directions. He had been snoring for hours. Someone, his snoring was louder than his boasting. Ferdinand was awake despite the late hour. He was writing in a journal by candle light.

The Kingdom outside your window was quiet. Almost too quiet. A floating mountain had drifted in front of the moon. The city was pitch black.

You heard something tapping against you window. A gust of wind parted the curtains. You could have sworn that you had seen something dart out from behind the fabric. It must have been a trick of the light. In Room A, something shook Yuri's bed-side cabinet. In Room B, something crawled under Balthus' bed.

Alice laid still on her back, staring at the ceiling with a pout. Why the hell was she given the bed between stupid Gramps and stupid Pretty Boy after they ganged up on her earlier? For some reason, she had a feeling Kana did it on purpose. Was this part of some plan to make them make nice or was it a coincidence?

Whatever, Yuri wasn't talking to her so she was fine. Gramps was doing whatever the fuck old men Gramps do after a party.

tumblr_ppllkuj7Cc1tbqin0o7_100.jpg

"!!" Eyes closed for a moment, waiting for sleep to creep up on her, they snapped back open and she sat up at the sounds from the shaking cabinet. Quickly reaching under her pillow where she put her trusty switchblade, she got out of bed and tried to quietly investigate. As quiet as someone drunk as her could be, she narrowed her eyes and flicked the blade open,ready to defend herself if need be.

@Sark @Yun Lee @Lucky @Minerva @Room A

Last edited:
Rei's response to Yuri was to wordlessly undo the next button on his shirt without giving him so much as a second glance. Fortunately anyone would have an easy time ignoring him during the party if they so desired, as Rei spent plenty of time partying, leaving towards the end after one girl he'd been dancing with ran off giggling.

He stumbled back into his assigned room, blissfully wasted and clothes in disarray, and as he blinked, tried to focus on what Alice was looking at. He wasn't too drunk to miss the glistening steel in her hand. After a moment he'd quietly move towards her, lighter in hand in case they'd need it.

@Sark @Takumi

Jeff doesn’t really drink that much, and he wasn’t exhausted, so he was pretty alert.

Jeff was the first to see the shadowy figure crawl under Balthus’s bed, so his first course of action was to attempt to wake Balthus.

Or that’s what it would be, if it didn’t seem like the hulking man wouldn’t wake up. He knew heavy sleepers.

So what he did was crouch over to Ferdie.

“Hey, there’s something under Balthus’s bed. I saw it crawl under it.”

@Sark @Jeremi @Crunch @Lucky

View attachment 5739

You would need a lot of alcohol to get Valkyrie and while she had appreciated a dance with a lady or two. Next time perhaps ask that Catherine woman? She seemed like she needed fun times. Anyway, Valkyrie was barely buzzed when she was shown to her quarters, nor was she very tired. Instead, Valkyrie had decided to sit down and take care and polish her equipment in silence. Letting the once that wanted to rest to do so. Though it seemed that quite a lot of them had decided to stay up.

As she was about done from the corner of her eye she spotted something vanishing under one of the beds.

Jeff doesn’t really drink that much, and he wasn’t exhausted, so he was pretty alert.

Jeff was the first to see the shadowy figure crawl under Balthus’s bed, so his first course of action was to attempt to wake Balthus.

Or that’s what it would be, if it didn’t seem like the hulking man wouldn’t wake up. He knew heavy sleepers.

So what he did was crouch over to Ferdie.

“Hey, there’s something under Balthus’s bed. I saw it crawl under it.”

@Sark @Jeremi @Crunch @Lucky

Valkyrie motioned to both of them to be quiet. If it was an enemy she wanted to take it by surprise. She pointed one of them to go and guard the door and the other the window as she herself headed towards Balthus' bed, her sword in hand. Waiting for the others to get into position she'd lift the bed with her free hand to see if she could find who, or what, their nightly guest was.

@Sark @Capri @Crunch @Lucky

Back