Land Down Under (KJDarKnight & Treasure)

Mathias nodded, still trying to catch his breath, his lungs still healing. He had pushed it a bit much today.
still he set the rifle down and fetched the first aid from the cabinet and brought it to her.

the young woman wasn't talking but she seemed to understand what was going on anyway so that was good. She sat where she was told to and let Lynna see to her arms, glancing at her brother though. "She's deaf, she cannit hear ya, she can read lips ok" The young man explained on her behalf

"Oh, I see." Lynna looked up at her and said clearly, "This will sting." Then she started cleaning the wounds. They were not as deep as she feared they'd be, but still in need of stitches and probably someone to properly look after them. "Does she know sign?"

Glancing at Mathias, she interrupted herself. "You! Sit down. You are gasping like an asthmatic. Maybe you should get checked, too."

she nodded at her words, though she had a voice, she didn't seem to like using it. she did flinch a little but didn't jerk her arms or anything, staying still and quiet. "yes, she knows sign" her brother answered for her

Mathias chuckled between breaths "I'm alright" he assured as he did sit down "A bit of rest I'll be fine" he waved it off, stubborn but not wrong, he hadn't torn any stitches just strained his lungs a bit was all. He was fine all considering

Lynna gave him a narrow look but let it go as she finished cleaning the woman's arms and wrapped them in proper bandages. "There. This'll do until we get to the hospital. Come, I can take you there. You," she pointed to the guy, "should come too. Just in case."

She stood then paused as a breeze played across her midriff. Ah... right... "Um, Mathias? Don't suppose you have a spare shirt I could borrow?"

Mathias chuckled and nodded "Course, though don't mind the view" he joked lightly before he stood up "Hold on" he went off down the hall, coming back shortly after "Here this should do ya" he held a woman shirt out to her "Pepper's but, don't think she'll mind"

"Course I not gonna leave my sister" he said "Ya have a whole hospital downere though?" he looked around, not sure where one could be located, seemed to be just the one dwelling

"Hardy har!" Lynna said sarcastically as she took the shirt. Pepper was built a bit different than her, so the shirt hung badly, but it covered what needed to be covered. She straightened the shirt then turned to the new pair. "Come on, this way. Mathias, are you coming? And of course we have a hospital, but not in the living room." She started walking toward the stairs.

Mathias smirked and sat back down "Nah you all go ahead, I'll have a rest" he answered "Wouldn't mind if you came back for a visit sometimes... gets lonesome up here. Pepper doesn't visit much"

the brother and sister didn't comment, confused but they figured they would just follow and see what she was talking about

It was no wonder no one came to visit Mathias. He was out here in the middle of nowhere!

"Where are you from?" Lynna asked as she led the way back down the way she'd come.

the two of them followed her lead down the wooden ladder stairs "The plains beyond the woods" he told her, that was no short distance, they were far from home. "We were driven out, lost our people runnin then them wolves took a liking and came after" he went on to explain "Wouldnta made it any farther without ya help"

"Driven out? By whom?" Lynna asked in surprise. She opened the bottom door and came out into the cavern overlooking the city of Desolation. "That's a long way away."

"the Canibals, they be driven lots of us out" he said, helping his sister down the last few steps, he was about to say more when he saw the city, his eyes widened in shock "This here be the biggest burrow I ever saw...how many are ya?" he asked after a stunned moment. His sister seemed just as surprised

"The cannibles? How did they find their way down?" She frowned and followed their gaze. "What, the city? I thought all the cities were like this. What do you mean 'burrow?'" Then she waved a hand. "Never mind, that's all for later. Let's get you two looked at, and lots of people are going to want to talk to you."

"City?" he repeated glancing at her then looking at the city as they started walking again "Wait...yer one o them groundlins?" he said and looked back at her in udder amazement "I thought ya people were only a story! Yer real..." it was like a bedtime story come to life! incredible

Lynna looked at him quizzically. "You mean you live up there on the surface? From how pale you are, I thought you lived like us!"

"Nah not like this" he said shaking his head "We live in burrow's, come out most times at night not daytime" he explained "That way them day walkers don't find us see.... but they did anyways, the cannibal ones that is" he went on "gettin more territorial they is, no idea why, we never hurt nobody"

"Maybe because they are hungry and should be put down like animals," Lynna said grimly, trying not to think about certain memories. "Anyway, come on. Let's go. It's a bit of a walk, so stay close. And don't talk. I don't think others should know you aren't from around here just yet."

She headed down, following the faint path down to the city and the lights below. The hospital was centerally located to try to make it as convenient as possible for the most people.

he nodded and fell silent, looking in awe at everything as they walked. The groundlings lives so... different... entirely submerged and so deep, so many! maybe there was something to living down like this. sure they had their burrows but they still came outside...maybe that was their mistake.

Nobody paid them much mind, except their clothing was different, softer leather and earth tones, mostly brown with hoods, no shoes at all

Lynna led them into the hospital and got the attention of the nurse on duty. She briefly explained the situation with as little detail as possible. She turned the girl over to the nurse, realizing she'd forgotten to get their names. Oh well. She hung out in the waiting room for them to return. Maybe she should introduce them to Gray? At least he could talk to the girl.

It wasn't long before they had her patched up proper and gave her some antibiotics to help too. When they emerged into the waiting room she was clinging to his arm, this place was so big and confusing and people spoke different, she could tell because their lip movements were just off enough it was a bit hard to read

Lynna was stretched out in a chair staring at nothing, but she stood when they returned. "There you are. How are her arms?"

Back